Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Keeping your Pony for the long haul. 20+ years

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 05:12 PM
timothyrw
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Keeping your Pony for the long haul. 20+ years

+1

ORIGINAL: Buckshot Barry

ORIGINAL: wingman75

I take care of mine as well. Keeping it clean and dry, not driving in the rain or snow, and keeping it in the garage when I'm not driving it. However I bought it to enjoy driving it, and I do whenever the roads are dry. Do what you will but I say you are missing out on what I find to be the most fun I've had in many years behind the wheel. I fail to see your logic in buying a toy till you push up daisies. If you don't drive it how do you see it as a toy?
I'm going to catchdoodoo on this comment. My wife and I have owned 3 new Hondas and 2 new Acura's that were purchased since 1990 (the 1990 Integra we just sold had 327,000 miles on it). I have owned 3 Fords. 1970 Mustang well used in 1976, 1988 5.0 GT from 1988 to 1990 and now my 2007 Pony Package. The 3 Fords I have owneddo not exhibit the quality and craftsmanship of the Honda/Acura's that we have owned. Just look at the rust on components on my 3 week old Mustang. It's not bad, but it sucks when you look at the undercarriage of my CR-V (75,000 miles) and CL (102,000 miles) that get driven daily.

Anyway, I want this Mustang to look good years (decades) from now. I think it will have to be babied to reach that goal.
Old 02-20-2007, 05:23 PM
sw07gt
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Fambaa

Weve had our 05 since April of 05 and till this day it still has 187 miles on it
Why did you waste your money? You wasted your money on your mustang and a turbonator. Lol hows that turbonator working for you did you get your 30 hp?
Old 02-20-2007, 05:26 PM
Fambaa
2nd Gear Member

I get 27 city 34 highway
Old 02-20-2007, 05:33 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Im sorry but I don't get it either.....I love to drive mine, will I still have it and will it be like new in 20 years, hell no. But what fun is it to have in the garage and stare at! Its true the Honda/Acuraare built better. So what! These mustangs aren't built likea outhouse. They are pretty well constructed compared to previous models. At 6 miles a week you will never break it in and I cant see the reason to switch to Mobil 1. I would think driving it as little as you are that it would do more damage actually.
Old 02-20-2007, 05:58 PM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

Well it looks like most of the folks replying didn't bother to read your post!

I take it you have more than just the one car, which is great! The Mustang can be an okay daily driver, as many people have said, but if you have more than one car why would you drive the Mustang to work, for errands, etc? Putting miles on the car, waiting in traffic, parking under the hot sun, driving on salt roads- you'd do that to your car if you didn't have to? Me neither! Those who say that cars are made to be driven have got it backwards! The more you drive it the sooner it will break! I think it sounds like your Mustang is a weekend car, which means it will last a long time.
My dad still has his 71 vert, and while he did drive it to work for over 10 years until he got a second daily driver, he still owns it and it looks exactly the same! He has followed the scheduled maintenance all this time, and that's what will let your new car last 20 years. There's a nice schedule in the glove box of your car. Be sure to have the dealer stamp it after each oil change and tuneup.
What will also make the car last is NOT modding it! Keeping it stock is the best way to insure it retains its value!
Old 02-20-2007, 06:03 PM
bodyputtyless
3rd Gear Member

First off you need to drive the car. I found out long ago that a car that sits falls apart faster then one that gets driven. Next, you need a garage. No tents, canopys, or awnings. A full fledge garage. Next, you need the understanding that after about 10 years the car will be out of style. It will need parts. It will have minor annoying things occur, like the **** to the mirros has fallen off, etc. So drive the car,enjoy it,and before you know it you'll 20 years older and so will your car. Then it will be time to search for repro parts to restore your 2007 Mustang. I get goose pimply just thinking about it.
Old 02-20-2007, 06:08 PM
Georgian
1st Gear Member

I liken what you are talking about to saving money, and never spending any on yourself or having any fun with it. Why save money if you never intend on spending any of it for yourself @ some point? I mean, you're not going to take it with you when you die, so enjoy it while you have and are able to make it. I am the biggest money saver I know; I can go weeks and sometimes even months without spending any real money for myself, but I save my hard earned cash on something I really want, and then go out, buy it, and enjoy it. Thats what it is all about, enjoying your life....
Old 02-20-2007, 06:24 PM
sw07gt
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Fambaa

Weve had our 05 since April of 05 and till this day it still has 187 miles on it
How can you stand not driving it? I've had mine about 4 weeks and it has about 1400 miles. I haven't driven it in a couple days and its driving me crazy.
Old 02-20-2007, 06:37 PM
Rippin n Tarrin
2nd Gear Member

Totally agree

Since I didn't buy the car as an investment. The saddest thingI can think is spending 20 years looking at my car just to say after 20 years it only has 20,000 miles on it. I just wasted 20 years of my life not enjoying the pleasure of driving it.

I put on far too many miles the first year and have cut down on it somewhat. I to want my car to last for 20 years and if something needs to be replaced then I'll replace it, this includes the engine. So either way I will have it 20 years from now I just want to get the most enjoyment from it as possible.

I would like to keep my car around 8000 miles a year. In 20 years that will be about 160,000 milesof pure fun storiesand enjoyement.

But that is just me.
Old 02-20-2007, 06:41 PM
retropony06
2nd Gear Member

just keep doing what your doing, it will last, I wish I had a garage

Quick Reply: Keeping your Pony for the long haul. 20+ years