Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Saleen supercharger potential

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 02:51 AM
matto1975
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Saleen supercharger potential

I am going on a business trip in a few weeks and I am gonna make a ton of cash, I am getting a custom tune and hopefully a new CAI when I get back. By the way, I am running at 9lbs right now. I am not going any higher than that without a new block or enough money to get one.
Old 02-22-2007, 02:54 AM
schmitty
1st Gear Member

are there any #'s on the saleen with jdm tune?
Old 02-22-2007, 02:59 AM
rattsj
2nd Gear Member

For the money the kits cost about the same. Kenne Bell and Whipple make the best twin screw blowers. They will give you the most bang for the same amount of money. The Saleen and the Whipple are both 2.3 liter blowers but the Saleen uses the stock intake manifold, so IMO the Whipple is better.
If power is what you are really after though, then I have to say that turbo's are going to be the best.

But TS is the most fun
Old 02-22-2007, 03:02 AM
matto1975
2nd Gear Member

I actually wanted a Whipple but after giving $5000 to rpmoutlet and waiting for 5 months and never seeing anything for my troubles I went with someone who could deliver a SC. I agree Whipple would probably be better. By the way I am still a few hundred bucks light in my wallet from doing business with rpm
Old 02-22-2007, 03:17 AM
rattsj
2nd Gear Member

Yeah I wanted the Whipple too but just like you after they kept pushing back the release date I gave up on them in March of 2006 and went with KB. I couldn't be more pleased. The potential is more than I would ever unleash but my motor is ready for anything now. Before I take the next step I'll have to work on the tranny and rear. All in due time though he he he
Old 02-22-2007, 03:18 AM
Scotte28516
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ohsixgt1217

Ok, if that s/c kit gives you 435 rwhp, ill give you my car...deal? Lol dont believe everything you read in magazines and on the box. Stock supercharged saleen puts down between 370-390 hp, sorry to burst your bubble buddy.

ORIGINAL: Scotte28516

ORIGINAL: ohsixgt1217

The s/c itself is capable of 400+ hp, but our stock block will not handle more then 8-9 lbs of boost safely, which will keep your car in the 380 hp range without doing some serious engine work.
Wrong!! I just purchased a Saleen supercharger at the cruise on Saturday. The basic supercharger kit is 435hp, but i opted for the 475 hp kit, which has a smaller pulley, bigger injectors, second cooler behind bumper, plus a couple of other items. This kit is designed for stock engines with no internal mods of any kind needed, and is backed by the Saleen warranty, and also the factory warranty.
Did I say RWHP?? I didn't think I did, and neither did you. Why would I want your car, even if it was given to me? My diesel duallywould eat it for lunch! The stock block will handle more than 8-9 lbs, it's the lower internals that have a hard time, buddy. There is no way possible that you lose 100hp from crank to rear wheels in a manual trans, unless your clutch is badly slipping. I'm old enough and smart enough that I also don't believe everything I read, but I'd believe milllions of dollars spent in factual R&D before believing internet forum "expertise". And yes, Saleen's tune is conservative, but so is Roush(5psi, 115hp) and Whipple(5psi, 100hp), which are the only one's that allow full retention of factory warranty, which KB, Vortech, Paxton, Powerdyne, andMagnacharger do not. For street performance use, Saleen, Roush, and Whipple are just fine.
Old 02-22-2007, 03:32 AM
rattsj
2nd Gear Member

Yeah don't sweat that man Saleen is a good blower very efficient too. But if you are ever curious about crank vs rear wheel power a good estimation is 15% for manual tranny and 18% for auto. I lose nearly 100hp from my crank to the rear wheel w/ 485 rwhp I have about 570 bhp
Old 02-22-2007, 04:31 AM
Sprzout
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: rattsj

For the money the kits cost about the same. Kenne Bell and Whipple make the best twin screw blowers. They will give you the most bang for the same amount of money. The Saleen and the Whipple are both 2.3 liter blowers but the Saleen uses the stock intake manifold, so IMO the Whipple is better.
If power is what you are really after though, then I have to say that turbo's are going to be the best.

But TS is the most fun
I don't know if turbos are the best, per se...depends on how you drive the car. If you want more top end power with your car, then definitely go with a turbo. If you're looking for more power off the line, that's where the supercharger's better, as it'll give better low end torque but less top end power because it's belt driven and less efficient at the higher RPMs, and the turbocharger's the opposite, giving more power at the higher RPMs and less at lower RPMs, since it's exhaust driven.
Old 02-22-2007, 07:53 AM
HaneyMotorsport.Com
Banned

ORIGINAL: rattsj

But TS is the most fun
The 05-07 Saleen S/C is one complete unit..supercharger/ intake manifold assy. The new Saleen F150 supercharger also the same style designHereare someclose up pics of it. Not trying to bust your chops!

Casey

[IMG]local://upfiles/34215/3CFE879F08FF47258146186CDF72F490.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/34215/1AEE7185A8434F588A43597412614A5E.jpg[/IMG]
Old 02-22-2007, 09:14 AM
rattsj
2nd Gear Member

ahh ha! I never knew that. Always thought it utilized the stock intake. I stand corrected. Good information.

Quick Reply: Saleen supercharger potential