Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vortech HO or not?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 05:13 AM
rmays06
5th Gear Member

Default Vortech HO or not?

I'm looking to put a supercharger on my car. I have a V6 which is running 14's in the 1/4. Tax returns came in and I'm wanting to add even more power. I can't fully pay the $4100 for the Vortech HO that puts down 330 flywheel HP but close. I can pay the $2800 for the Vortech which makes 290 FWHP. Is the aftercooler kits something I can add later? I'm not really looking to be a GT killer only have a sleeper and still pay way better insurance prices than my GT brethern. No offense guys!
Can I add this later?
With differnt pulley's can I had more power to the V2 without the aftercooler?
Is there a better or cheaper system out there that I can add too?

I can't believe with less than $3500 in mods I'll be pushing 300 HP and getting better gas milage and better insurance rates! I only paid $18500 for my car man these new S197 are sweet V6 or V8!
Old 02-22-2007, 06:03 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Default RE: Vortech HO or not?

I think Vortech sells there S/C for reasonable amts and they have been in the business for years. You can upgrade later but that will be more install costs down the road. I mean the difference between 290 and 330 isn't great for 1300 dollars more but I always wanted one with an aftercooler and have the ability to run much lower temps with the HO. Here is a write up on a GT with a vortech and meth injection which you might be able to do with the V6 and that way you have cooler charge temps with no aftercooler and get numbers on the dyno. http://www.alternativeauto.com/prods...h-alcohol.html and it is cheaper than going with the H.O. version. Remember his price is for the kit w/meth and dyno tuning and installation included in that price. Just an FYI but I am not sure if they make it for the V6 too but I am sure they will and that would be an easier mod in the future. Later J
Old 02-22-2007, 07:46 AM
Sprzout
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: rmays06

I can't believe with less than $3500 in mods I'll be pushing 300 HP and getting better gas milage and better insurance rates! I only paid $18500 for my car man these new S197 are sweet V6 or V8!
Better gas mileage? Doubtful. More air coming into the system means more fuel. And, with a supercharger on the car, you're going to have to run 91 octane or better in order to prevent knocking. So whatever savings you're figuring on by putting a supercharger + tune (because you're gonna NEED a tune to prevent this engine from blowing up) are going to be killed by the higher price in supreme unleaded fuel. Sorry to burst your bubble on that, but it's kinda the truth of the matter.

Now, as for running the aftercooler...It's worth it to get the cooler, denser air. Denser air makes for a better air/fuel ratio and near true stoichiometric conditions. And before you go, "Ehh, so what?", think how nitrous works. Nitrous Oxide gives your car an extra shot of breathing power, and helps provide a more compact, dense air to give it more power when you inject it into your system. This is similar to having that aftercooler cool down your air before it hits your engine...

If you want some fun on top of the supercharger/aftercooler, you can get a nitrous kit that sprays nitrous onto the aftercooler to help cool it down even more. This is NOT a system that you run nitrous INTO the intake, or the plumbing to the intake, but rather it looks like a big oval that sits up against the aftercooler. It will cause the air running through the aftercooler to get a nice, cold shot of air across it and help make that air even more dense.

A lot of guys will use a water sprayer to help cool it down, but if you're drag racing, this can and will be a no-no for several reasons. 1) Dragstrips don't want any leaking fluids hitting the track. This causes safety issues for you and everyone else who comes behind you. 2) Water is one of the heaviest substances to have in your car, and for the cooling amounts that it gives, it's detrimental. You're better off trying to run an alcohol sprayer, but again, for the same reasons in reason #1, this is a bad idea. Nitrous, in this particular case, is ideal, because N2O will NOT cause any leaking fluids (at room temp, it's a gas) to hit the track, not to mention that you can get a lot more nitrous to spray more effectively than either water or alcohol.

If you can, get the supercharger with the aftercooler. You won't regret it.
Old 02-22-2007, 12:36 PM
Stkjock
Retired Mod

Go for the H.O. lovin mine on my GT!!! 435RWHP!!
Old 02-22-2007, 10:19 PM
rmays06
5th Gear Member

Thanks guys very informative! Just what I was looking for. I am going to have to save a little longer to get the HO. It sounds like its a better deal in th elong run.
Old 02-22-2007, 10:26 PM
petepete
5th Gear Member

Yep id save for the IC kit. As for gas mileage it will go down supposedly if you dont use the new fuel pump it wont be affected too much
Old 02-22-2007, 10:48 PM
Sprzout
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: petepete

Yep id save for the IC kit. As for gas mileage it will go down supposedly if you dont use the new fuel pump it wont be affected too much
Why wouldn't you use the bigger fuel pump? I would think your car is going to run lean with less fuel and more air being forced in. Seeing as how these cars are already on the cusp before you put on an intake and will give you a CEL if you don't do a tune, I can't see why you'd want to risk having less fuel coming into the engine with the forced induction...
Old 02-22-2007, 10:53 PM
scrming
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Sprzout

ORIGINAL: petepete

Why wouldn't you use the bigger fuel pump? I would think your car is going to run lean with less fuel and more air being forced in. Seeing as how these cars are already on the cusp before you put on an intake and will give you a CEL if you don't do a tune, I can't see why you'd want to risk having less fuel coming into the engine with the forced induction...
The fuel pump in the V6 is the same pump that is in the GT... no need to do a pump upgrade even with the HO kit...
Old 02-22-2007, 10:58 PM
scrming
5th Gear Member

Thanks guys very informative! Just what I was looking for. I am going to have to save a little longer to get the HO. It sounds like its a better deal in th elong run.
Trust on this... save for the HO, you will not be sorry! I was working with a very tight budget last spring when I broke my motor.... I was thinking just like you, skip the aftercooler and add it later... Scott convince me to spend the extra money for the aftercooler up front... well... i sold some stuff to make up the difference... and I can tell you, I have not regretted it one bit!!!

Now with a good tune, the HO kit should put down 300 to 310 RWHP... that with an automatic.... so you should be over 330 at the crank! And then just when you think your getting used to all the power, you can swap out the HO pulley for a 2.87 pulley... LOL!
Old 02-22-2007, 11:08 PM
rmays06
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: scrming

Trust on this... save for the HO, you will not be sorry! I was working with a very tight budget last spring when I broke my motor.... I was thinking just like you, skip the aftercooler and add it later... Scott convince me to spend the extra money for the aftercooler up front... well... i sold some stuff to make up the difference... and I can tell you, I have not regretted it one bit!!!

Now with a good tune, the HO kit should put down 300 to 310 RWHP... that with an automatic.... so you should be over 330 at the crank! And then just when you think your getting used to all the power, you can swap out the HO pulley for a 2.87 pulley... LOL!
WOW 310 RWHP, what else John will I have to change on the car?

Quick Reply: Vortech HO or not?