Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vinyl stripes and pressure washer

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 03:57 PM
Tracedaddy
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Vinyl stripes and pressure washer

Can I borrow your pressure washer then?? Please. I'm planning on taking my stripes off this weekend and was expecting to spend a couple hours with a heat gun. Maybe you can save me a good portion of my weekend.
Old 02-23-2007, 04:04 PM
Jays Mustang
3rd Gear Member

Ya even on the decal instructions I think it said no pressure wash for a week or something like that. I hold the sprayer a couple feet away and keep moving like another said. I saw one of those Boyd shows with him saying don't use a pressure wash. I had to laugh, it must be nice to be a millionare and have a bunch of trailer queen cars. He probably hasn't picked up a hose himself in 20 years. Us people in the real world that drive our cars do get them dirty and need to wash them.
Old 02-23-2007, 04:11 PM
BlackPhantomGT
1st Gear Member

[X(]You use a pressure washer to "sandblast" your car? I hope you use filtered water or your area has good water.
Old 02-23-2007, 04:59 PM
2oo5stang
3rd Gear Member

i guess where i live, the pressure washer trickles out. i've probably washed mine 50 times since i've had them and no peeling or anything, but like mentioned, i don't sit there about an inch from the decal and hold it there.
Old 02-23-2007, 05:55 PM
wthalliii
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Tracedaddy

Can I borrow your pressure washer then?? Please. I'm planning on taking my stripes off this weekend and was expecting to spend a couple hours with a heat gun. Maybe you can save me a good portion of my weekend.
Sure. Let's see, you're in WI and I'm in TX. We could meet in MO, maybe. How about Saturday at noon at the Gateway Arch in St. Louis? I'll be driving an orange Mustang. See you there! ...Not!

Actually, it doesn't do that good a job of removing decals. It does a good job screwing them up, though. I ended up using a heat gun to remove my 3rd brake light decal.
Old 02-23-2007, 10:26 PM
mjm2007

What kind of dirt do you get on your car that you need 1500 psi. to remove it? I only hand wash my car and am so **** that if I drop the sponge on the ground I throw it away and get a new one. That kind of presure can do severe damage to parts like plastic bumper covers. Buy a sponge and bucket, your car will love you for it!
Old 02-24-2007, 01:38 AM
mtusrsmith

Everyone repeat after me:

"I will not use a pressure washer on my Mustang."
Old 02-24-2007, 01:50 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Same here pressure washers are good on homes and boats and RV's but I prefer to hand wash every time. It is possible to blow away the stripes but if they are 3M like most are made of they can take alot of abuse. JMO J
ORIGINAL: LegallyTorchRED

Not trying to be critical or start a rant, but common sense should tell you, never use a pressure washer on your car.
Old 02-24-2007, 02:01 AM
RUFDRAFT
3rd Gear Member

Pressure washer? On your car?

Nope.
Old 02-24-2007, 11:09 AM
scrmngt
1st Gear Member

Okay...I have used a pressure washer on my car...as stated by others, I don't stand in one spot, nor do I get too close...not too mention I use the "fan" spray setting. Again common sense would tell you all this. What Iwould like to point out is that I have used it as an effective way to remove the deadbugs off the front of the car...rather than using a chemical, or trying to scrub them off. Where I am we can tend to get a lot of bugs at different times of the year in the summer. Anybody have any alternatives?

Quick Reply: Vinyl stripes and pressure washer