Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vinyl stripes and pressure washer

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 12:09 PM
Jays Mustang
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Vinyl stripes and pressure washer

It would be nice to live in warm states all year round were you get a little dust to remove. But like today I washed off a load of salt/sand. Do you think I'd take a sponge and rub salt/sand? No. Some of us have to use the carwash, I mean the hand spraywash not the automatic. Just part of life in the north.
Old 02-25-2007, 10:33 PM
Rupp
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: wthalliii

I just ordered some stripes from Baltimore Street. When I wash my car, I use a Husky 1500 PSI pressure washer. It does a good job, but I accidentally damaged the decal that I had on my 3rd brake light, and I also damaged my license plate with it. Texas license plates have a plastic coating, and the pressure washer actually removed part of the coating and washed off part of a couple of letters! So, I'm concerned that it might damage the stripes. (I painted the letters back on the plate and am now waiting for my vanity plates to come in.)

Does anyone else use a pressure washer? If so, have you had any trouble with vinyl stripes being peeled up by it?
I wouldn't use a pressure washer any closer than a mile from my care. Only hand wash with a the softest mit. Why would you use a pressure washer. As you can see they are very destructive.
Old 02-25-2007, 10:43 PM
wthalliii
3rd Gear Member

Note to self: don't use pressure washer on car.

Okay, got it. I certainly won't use it near my new stripes. Thanks again for everyone's advice.

Oh, I got the new stripes installed today. But I'll post pix in another thread so it won't be buried in this one.
Old 02-26-2007, 12:26 PM
StantheMan
2nd Gear Member

I have used a 2800 psi pressure washer for years, I have a 99 Isuzu, 93 Vette, 02 Avalanche and a 07 GT, I live in Colorado where I need to wash chemicals and sand from my car after snow falls. Mag Cloride and some of the chemicals litterally eat at the chrome finishes. Also summer bugs are an issue, I have never had a problem, the Avalache has 4x4 decals and they never came off. Public car washes use recycled water which is like sand blasting your car if there filters are not clean and in working order. All of my vehicles are impecable, including the Isuzu with over 160k on the original paint job(This car has never seen a public car wash). Using a pressure washer and keeping the wand at a safe distance and not allowing the pressure to catch an edge of a decal is the key, the remarks that make referrence to it is unwise or stupid to use a pressure are untrue, use your pressure washer wisely and your vehicles will look good for years and years.
Old 02-26-2007, 09:09 PM
SlinkyBMX
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mtusrsmith

Everyone repeat after me:

"I will not use a pressure washer on my Mustang."
[sm=funnypostabove.gif]
Old 02-26-2007, 10:26 PM
delstang
1st Gear Member

I have vinyl stripes but I hand wash it only. I wouldn't use a pressure washer and I good see how that could peal up the vinyl along with many other things. Pressure washers are for deck and brick, not vehicles.