Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Install rape

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 10:46 AM
06SaLeEn
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Install rape

ORIGINAL: POWERS

I have my saleen supercharger ordered so i started calling up places to get an idea on the cost of an install. I started with the local Dealer for a worse case price and they quoted me $1300 for the install said it would take 16 hours labor. So im curious as to what everyone else has paid for their installs? And dont say do it yourself, i live in a condo, ive done the o/r xpipe install lying on my back, the zex kit install and other little **** myself but im not gonna attempt this in the middle of a parking lot.

16 hours seems to long. Screw sending anything to Saleen for a reflash, have a GOOD tuner do the tunning and dyno work also well worth it. The tune sucks from saleen, and its got nothing to do with how much power you get, there tune sucks. I had my Saleen Dyno for a baseline with the saleen tune still in it and I was actually losing power at 4700-4800 rpms. That sucks....Good luck with the install
Old 02-24-2007, 11:48 AM
POWERS
2nd Gear Member

THanks for the response everyone, im planning on shopping around i was just hoping maybe the dealer wouldnt be too expensive that way id have a better laeg to stand on when it comes to warranty issues down the road.

ORIGINAL: mygt500
Sorry such a beautiful car doesn't have a garage to house that beautiful mustang...looks great! J
Yeah i know, Im actually in the proccess of house shopping so in the next couple of months she should have a home.

Old 02-24-2007, 12:17 PM
shaners90lxhatch
3rd Gear Member

THanks for the response everyone, im planning on shopping around i was just hoping maybe the dealer wouldnt be too expensive that way id have a better laeg to stand on when it comes to warranty issues down the road.

Sorry such a beautiful car doesn't have a garage to house that beautiful mustang...looks great! J
Yeah i know, Im actually in the proccess of house shopping so in the next couple of months she should have a home.

You could have Bill Ford himself install that thing and you will get a big (justified) middle finger on virtually any engine, trans or rear end warranty claim. Warrantable repairs will and should have an inspector sent out regardless if its factory, ESP or an aftermarket service contract. The aftermarket warranties are actually more difficult to get stuff like this covered. Bottom line, be prepared to pay for nearly any and all mechanical repairs after the blower install.
Old 02-24-2007, 01:22 PM
POWERS
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: shaners90lxhatch
You could have Bill Ford himself install that thing and you will get a big (justified) middle finger on virtually any engine, trans or rear end warranty claim. Warrantable repairs will and should have an inspector sent out regardless if its factory, ESP or an aftermarket service contract. The aftermarket warranties are actually more difficult to get stuff like this covered. Bottom line, be prepared to pay for nearly any and all mechanical repairs after the blower install.
If I have the dealer install it and at no point during my dealing with them do they mention that it will void my warranty, it will give me a better chance at arguing over repairs. Now if I go out and blow my engine drag racing I’m not gonna expect them to cover it, but if something goes wrong that really isn’t associated with the supercharger being there then id raise hell till it was taken care of. I may get my way and I may not, but having the fact that they installed it and never told me it was gonna void my warranty I can play stupid, “hell 50 feet away they have at least 5 on the lot for sale that already have the saleen supercharger on them, do they sale those without warranties already?†ß that’s me playing stupid. If it will help my case or not who’s to say but it’s nice to have plan ahead of time.
Old 02-24-2007, 01:30 PM
shaners90lxhatch
3rd Gear Member

At least you are clever enough to give yourself a potential "out" but I must warn you that the dealer and the maker are completely different entities. You buy a car from a dealer. Ford sells cars to dealers, not to people. The dealer owns every car on their lot and you would not by any means be the first person who bought a new or used modified car under the assumption that it still had a warranty. It is YOUR responsibility to know the consequences for your actions as well as the eligibility of the vehicle. They are not required by ANY law or policy to warn you of potential warranty conflicts. They can't lie if you ask, but they are not obligated to tell you. Morally they should, but I am not aware of apolicy or law that requires them to do so. If they didn't mention this, it proves that they are untrustworthy.
All they have to do is provide you with the necessary paperwork and then it is up to you to read and understand it. Your logic is clever man, but all it is going to do is make you feel better. It means jack and shyt to Ford and to the selling dealer.
Warranty covers defects in production and workmanship. Any well minded company would keep their best interest in mind and prevent paying for repairs that are not the result of THEIR screw ups. If they can argue in any way that their screwup isNOT the source of the failure, they can and likely will give you the finger.
Old 02-24-2007, 03:22 PM
POWERS
2nd Gear Member

I think it will come down to the luck of the draw. Some people have had no issues going to their dealer with a heavily modded stang and getting warranty work done while others have had there warranty issues denied for putting an aftermarket sticker on their window <---(over exaggeration). Some dealers are like that annoying kid in school that ratted everyone out while others are like that cool uncle that bought you beer before you were old enough to drink. It all comes down to luck, and seeing as how I haven’t won the lottery lately I’m due for some. It’s all wishful thinking but its backed with the reality that in the end ill end up paying for it too. Like a previous post said “you gotta pay to playâ€
Old 02-24-2007, 03:39 PM
WuStangKlan
I ♥ Acer

The best response:

ORIGINAL: shaners90lxhatch

Old 02-24-2007, 09:21 PM
ponyskunk06
1st Gear Member

If you have a Buddy in the Military Most Posts have a Auto Skills center where you pay 5 Bucks and you have Access to a huge amount of Tools, and if needed the assitance of some Auto Techs
Old 02-26-2007, 03:05 PM
sandy
2nd Gear Member

+1 on warranty concerns