Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

People with Autos and aluminum driveshafts

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 12:56 PM
The Ghost
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: People with Autos and aluminum driveshafts

I have a Spyder one piece shaft and could not be any happier. I am lowered with pretty much all of my rear suspension components changed out. I used a floating angle finder and simply made the pinion angle the same as the tranny output, I don't remember the number, just make them the same. No vibes, and .2sec quicker in the 1/8th by just changing the shaft.
Old 02-25-2007, 02:10 PM
GT John
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: TheDarkPath

I've searched for and read quite a few posts on 1-piece driveshafts andhaveheard aboutthe problems some A/Ts have with them. I'd like some feedback from people with automatics and aluminum driveshafts. Where'd you get it? After the install, did you have vibration and if so, how did you fix it? The two I'm looking at areDenny's Driveshaft and the one from Spyder on here. Denny's driveshaft says it's for manual and auto so have they figured out the vibration issues with the autos or is it the same piece?

My current mods are:
Corsa A/Bs, Steeda UDP, and will soon be installing BMR LCAs with relocation brackets, C&L CAI with Brenspeed 93 octane tune, and BMR front swaybar delete/radiator support.

At this time, i don't plan on lowering the car anytime soon. I saw a post saying pinion angle won't have to be adjusted (at least not as much) with a car that hasn't been lowered.
Here is a good article worth reading.
http://www.cherod.com/mustang/HowTo/LCA%20_adj.htm

Old 02-25-2007, 05:34 PM
TheDarkPath
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GT John

Thanks, that's a great article.

Thank you all for your responses. This really helped with my concerns about vibration. Now i just need to decide which driveshaft to get. Denny's, Spyder's, and Powerhouse's all look like good choices (I couldn't find much on the Coast DS). Hopefully, i'll be getting this done sometime over the summer.

Besides the driveshafts themselves, will any additional hardware be needed for the install (bolts, etc)?
Old 02-25-2007, 07:42 PM
GT John
3rd Gear Member

Thanks, that's a great article.

Thank you all for your responses. This really helped with my concerns about vibration. Now i just need to decide which driveshaft to get. Denny's, Spyder's, and Powerhouse's all look like good choices (I couldn't find much on the Coast DS). Hopefully, i'll be getting this done sometime over the summer.

Besides the driveshafts themselves, will any additional hardware be needed for the install (bolts, etc)?
I cant speak for the two DS you refer to but the PH alum DS comes with all hardware needed for install.

http://powerhouse411.com/catalog/ind...products_id=27

Old 02-26-2007, 07:25 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

I cant speak for the two DS you refer to but the PH alum DS comes with all hardware needed for install.
The power house shaftdoes not come with bolts for the transmission flange(None of them do). The Ford manual clearly states to discard of the old bolts and replace them with new ones. I would bet my car that your installer didn't replace the bolts John. So take your car down to ford right now and ask for some new bolts.

Now!
Old 02-26-2007, 08:53 PM
TheDarkPath
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: moosestang

The power house shaftdoes not come with bolts for the transmission flange(None of them do). The Ford manual clearly states to discard of the old bolts and replace them with new ones. I would bet my car that your installer didn't replace the bolts John. So take your car down to ford right now and ask for some new bolts.

Now!
I did read somewhere that if you reuse the bolts, to use locktite on them (level 2 i think). So i guess the bolts can be reused as long as their cleaned up before reuse. That is good information though, something to think about before i get the DS, i'll go by Ford and get a set of bolts for the transmission flange.
Old 02-26-2007, 09:09 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

I wasn't really serious. I was trying to prove a point to John, but apparently he only chooses to replace the bolts he sees fit with new ones.

Don't listen to john about how to set your pinion angle, he has not a clue.

I did read somewhere that if you reuse the bolts, to use locktite on them (level 2 i think). So i guess the bolts can be reused as long as their cleaned up before reuse. That is good information though, something to think about before i get the DS, i'll go by Ford and get a set of bolts for the transmission flange.
Old 02-26-2007, 09:43 PM
GT John
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: moosestang

Now!
This is an email directly from Mike at PH:

John,

The driveshaft includes 8 bolts and the necessary adapter flange that allows the use of the factory pinion flange.

Thank you,

Mike Bowen
PowerHouse Automotive, LLC
http://www.powerhouse411.com/
814 774 4966[/align]
I didnt intend to come across as a "know it all" because I certainly dont. I have been away from muscle cars since the mid 60's. Back then we used what ever was laying around and would get the job done.

Now a days the design of autos has changed and I continue to try to educate myself on aregular basis.

I can only pass along information that I have read and have experienced in the hopes that new Mustang owners will not suffer from the obvious mistakes that I have made.

Continue to educate yourself by read everything you can lay your hands on concerning these great rides.

The Ford Mustang Service Manual is available on CD. Join as many Mustang Forums as you can find and start reading.

Above all if your not going to work on your car find a good speed shop with a good reputation to do the work. They are up to date with todays technology.

Have fun man........enjoy the ride,
Old 02-26-2007, 09:57 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

This is an email directly from Mike at PH:

John,

The driveshaft includes 8 bolts and the necessary adapter flange that allows the use of the factory pinion flange.

Thank you,
The 8 bolts mentioned are for the rear only. The front connects using the factory bolts which Ford says to discard and replace with new ones. I haven't read anywhere of anyone buying new bolts for the front transmission flange. I wouldn't bother. Just like no one buys new bolts for their control arms.

I'm not calling you a know it all, but you give advice on adjusting pinion angle that is incorrect. If you had infact took your own advice, you'd very likely have vibration issues.
Old 02-26-2007, 10:03 PM
GT John
3rd Gear Member

I'm not calling you a know it all, but you give advice on adjusting pinion angle that is incorrect. If you had infact took your own advice, you'd very likely have vibration issues.

[/quote]

Alright, would you please provide a link or article explaining the correct proceedure for proper pinion angle adjustment for the Mustang GT with a single piece drive shaft.

Then we all we know and maybe the moderator will make it a "sticky"

Thank you.

Quick Reply: People with Autos and aluminum driveshafts