Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blown Door Subs

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 06:06 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Blown Door Subs

i wasnt sure what the ohms of the factory speakers were, knowing that there was more than one speaker in each door i thought they may be 8 or god knows what else.

anyhow just thought i would post em cause its definately something different, they look good, they have a shallow mounting depth, and im sure they sound good
Old 02-25-2007, 08:29 PM
GT Newbie
3rd Gear Member

Any of you dudes consider how much it will cost to replace your blown EARDRUMS from blasting a 500 or (gasp!) 1000 watt amp in that tiny little enclosed space....??

Can anyone tell me where I can buy stocks in hearing-aid companies?
JEEZ !!
Old 02-25-2007, 08:38 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Its really not all that loud. There is not acutally 500 of 1000 watts of power. Maybe PEAK power but not RMS. I have turned mine up pretty loud and it is nowhere close to as loud as my other 2 cars were with the stereos in them.
Old 02-25-2007, 08:47 PM
GT Newbie
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: howarmat

Its really not all that loud. There is not acutally 500 of 1000 watts of power. Maybe PEAK power but not RMS. I have turned mine up pretty loud and it is nowhere close to as loud as my other 2 cars were with the stereos in them.

You'd be surprised just how damaging too many decibels in a small enclosed space can be.
I know that rating is only for "peak" power and not for "rms", but still...!
I played in a rock band (many moons ago), and am SO happy that I took the precaution of wearing earplugs (marshall tower amps), otherwise I'd be stone cold deaf by now.
Rule of thumb is- if you hear ANY "ringing" in your ears (like after going to a concert, or blasting the amp in your car), then you've already suffered some hearing loss and can't turn back the clock.
If you do that a LOT, then you'd better invest in a pair of industrial-strength hearing aids, otherwise you'll soon be shouting: "HUH? WHAT DID YOU SAY?! when people compliment you on your ride...........
Old 02-25-2007, 08:52 PM
redfireshaker06
4th Gear Member

Just curious, how old are you?
Old 02-25-2007, 09:05 PM
GT Newbie
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: redfireshaker06

Just curious, how old are you?

Old enough to know better (57 going on 18)...
Don't get me wrong, I LOVE loud music sometimes (NOT that rap and hip hop garbage- mostly 70's & 80's rock), and have had several audiophile quality sound systems in my home (with powered subs- the works!), and a kick-A$$ 5.1 surround sound setup that almost shook the foundations when I played "War of the Worlds" and "King Kong".
But to expose yourself repeatedly to high decibels in a very small enclosed space like the cockpit of a car is really ASKING for trouble.
It's a free country, and it's certainly no skin off MY **** ( or ears)
if you like listening to say, the "Black-Eyed Peas" (barf !!!) at 115 decibels, but I just thought I'd warn you guys in case some of you never considered the long-term risks involved.......
Old 02-26-2007, 01:25 PM
ffk_pennywise
3rd Gear Member

Your bold font is making me go blind.
Old 02-26-2007, 02:26 PM
MartyMoose
3rd Gear Member

[sm=funnypostabove.gif]
Yeah, the bold font gives a "loud" feeling to the text and the bold CAPS gives the text a shouting effect.

Its really not all that loud. There is not acutally 500 of 1000 watts of power.
Yeah, it's really not that loud (shaker 500). I too like to listen to '70's - '80's heavy rock 'n roll and find that it's simply not that loud and seems to be missing something - maybe mids and a little weak in the lows? I like the look of the factory HU but I'm considering replacing the speakers for more clarity and a little more "umph"? I'm finding that I have to turn it up to almost max before my favorite tunes starts sounding good.
Old 02-26-2007, 02:28 PM
GT Newbie
3rd Gear Member

[quote]ORIGINAL: ffk_pennywise

[/quote/]

[sm=funnypostabove.gif]

I'm afraid that premature optic nerve damage is one of the first signs of cross-contamination from aural overload.
Turn the volume down on your Shaker Turbo 10,000, and you should start to recover your sight.....
Old 02-26-2007, 02:30 PM
GT Newbie
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MartyMoose
I'm finding that I have to turn it up to almost max before my favorite tunes starts sounding good.

That's cause you're going DEAF Marty- JEEZ...!

P.S. I just thought of something- if all you Shaker Turbo guys call 1 800 Lawyer and start a class action suit against Ford for making you all go prematurely deaf, you might get a ton of money in court-ordered damages to spend on mods!
I heard a number of deaf iPod users already started doing just that, so why not cash in on your coming disability like they're doing (hey, don't knock it- it's the American way!).
\
[sm=signs007.gif]

Quick Reply: Blown Door Subs