Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is the CAI worth it or just a good tune

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 01:50 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Default RE: Is the CAI worth it or just a good tune

Those number really didnt make any sense to me either being very low and then a huge gain....something doesnt add up though.

I agree that the tune does alot of work, help with throttle lag, you can change shift points in autos and so forth. The tune is key in those.

I am still not sure about the pre-cat-converter thing and i guess its not on all cars anyway.

Sine you state that "people get scammed all the time with bolt on mods." What are they....please tell us so we dont waste our money?

Old 02-27-2007, 04:38 AM
Black GT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: howarmat

Those number really didnt make any sense to me either being very low and then a huge gain....something doesnt add up though.

I agree that the tune does alot of work, help with throttle lag, you can change shift points in autos and so forth. The tune is key in those.

I am still not sure about the pre-cat-converter thing and i guess its not on all cars anyway.

Sine you state that "people get scammed all the time with bolt on mods." What are they....please tell us so we dont waste our money?

Turbonator?
Old 02-27-2007, 08:40 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

hahahaha....very true.
Old 02-27-2007, 08:44 AM
wmtheflash
3rd Gear Member

I can't speak for Brenspeed tune, since I don't have one. I started with an SCT Strategy Flash (SF). The SCT SF let's you tune the vehicle for the stock intake and then add a cold air intake later by using a pull down menu, no need to purchase a new tune. Out of the box it includes tunes for a JLT, PHP, Steeda, C&L, and the Stock intake. The downside is the program isn't as aggressive as a semi-custom (i.e. without putting the car on a dyno) tune.

I started with the Stock intake and a 93 octane tune. The throttle lag was largely gone with the tune. Adding the new intake (Steeda) with the 93 octane tune gave me even better throttle response. Doing it in stages left me convinced that the tune had helped the vehicle more than the intake.

Here's an interesting article I found on Muscle Mustangs and Fast Ford's website. It compares air intakes over stock. I'm guessing their using an 87 octane tune with the aftermarket intakes, but the article doesn't say:

http://www.musclemustangfastfords.co...ir_intake_kit/

Old 02-27-2007, 11:24 AM
okbfd
4th Gear Member

After putting on the Steeda CAI the car wouldn't even idle without a tune. With the tune and the CAI it runs like a whole different car.
Old 02-27-2007, 12:23 PM
CaptRestless
1st Gear Member

How does a kit like the C&L get "cold" air if it's under the hood? Isn't it just flowing more hot air into the engine? I'm interested in the kit, but read some interesting stuff on the KB website...
Old 02-27-2007, 03:06 PM
Lees07GT
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Turbosetch

Actually every site out there sells the predator or xcal2 with custom tunes for about $399 without the CAI. VMP, Brenspeed, Ba ma c hips.

For the guy that had a 10 HP increase with just the CAI did you notice if your stock intake had the pre-cat-converter? They say just removing that from the stock intake is worth over 6hp.Also I noticed your stock numbers were a lot lower than other dynos I have seen. Anyway...

Now all I have to decide on is which vendor to use for the custom tunes...I thought I was pretty set on Brenspeed then another forum said the fastest stockers are VMP tuned. More research now....

I think you raise a very interesting question and one that probably has not been brought up much before. Most people just seem to assume thatthey need a CAI and tune, whereas they may never have considered that a tune alone may have been more "cost effective", especially if you are going S/C and you are just going to end up throwing the CAI in the trash, anyway. I think a lot of N/A people also like the looks and sound of the CAI, as well as thepower enhancement (even if relatively small), so they are going to go for the CAI and tune anyway. I'm kinda surprised that people here don't complain more about the cost of CAIs. IMO, they are ridiculously overpriced.
Old 02-27-2007, 03:23 PM
ohsixgt1217
4th Gear Member

The reason my numbers may seem low to some people is because it was dynod on a land & sea dyno, which is the same as a mustang dyno when reading numbers. Dynojets, which most people on here are used to, read higher numbers. I was just simply showing that with a cai i noticed a decently significant gain in hp. When you think about it $200 for roughly 10 hp ( give or take a few) is not at all a bad deal.

On a completely other note, i know this is not proven, but there are claims that a cai also increases gas milage. As i said i do not know if this is true, just throwing that out there.

ORIGINAL: howarmat

Old 02-27-2007, 05:03 PM
06SaLeEn
I ♥ Acer

After I did a CAI and Tune just to see the difference before i get my turbo on, I did notice a 2-2.5 mpg, not sure if it was the CAI or Tune or both but I did see a difference
Old 02-27-2007, 06:05 PM
Turbosetch
1st Gear Member

Wow great stuff here in this thread. I just got off the phone with Justin at VMP tune and he says 10HP or less from the addition of a larger intake. So I am getting mixed information but never the less I sure did like talking to him he is going to work with me on the tune since I will be injecting a little bit of methanol to make up for the crap pump gas here. The best I can get is 90 but I can tune for 93+ with water/methanol injection.

Anyway to stay on topic. Some one asked what the scam products are..Well for one the intakes on ebay!! Holy crap fellas they have these big pipes on them but around the MAF its reduced back to the stock size??!! That way you don't have to tune with it. Umm something seems wrong about that. My point was I don't know many of the products for the Mustangs that are scams but I know they are out there. Has Ebay always been a pile of crap parts for the mustangs? I was finding it hard to find much that was legit as I was searching for CAI and tuner boxes.

Quick Reply: Is the CAI worth it or just a good tune