Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is the CAI worth it or just a good tune

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 10:22 PM
Turbosetch
1st Gear Member

Default Is the CAI worth it or just a good tune

As a new owner of the 05 GT I have been looking to do the basic mods until the purchase of the S/C. In my research and looking at dynos etc I have found that it seems the cost of the CAI may not be worth the gains of just a good flash / tune. I have seen a few dynos that show about a 20hp increase just from a brenspeed tune and the removal of the emmisions device in the stock intake. There seems to be a pre-catalytic-converter right after the MAF in the stock intake. With the removal of that alone you get a few ponys. It seems to me that if 20hp can be done with a good tune and a modified stock intake then the cost for another 2-4HP would be a waste on a CAI. The stock intake is also a CAI since it pulls from the fender well.

I think I am pretty set on just a tuner and tune from brenspeed after all said and done. Any thoughts on this?
Old 02-26-2007, 10:42 PM
delstang
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Is the CAI worth it or just a good tune

I think there are CAI's with a good custom tune that can get you in the 30 -35 RWHP gain. I would say the CAi is worth more like 10-15 RWHP. Go for the CAI and custome tune, you will be pleased, plus it looks neat and sounds good.
Old 02-26-2007, 10:52 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

I am not quite sure what all you are saying but:

A CAI and custom tune from Brenspeed or B amachips will get you 25-28 HP, maybe a few more or less, every car is a bit different. You will get more with a dyno tune and the CAI yes. Just a dyno tune will probably not get you near this much unless they tuner really uses some agressive settings, which is not recommended. You just can't get enough air really. Yes there is a stock intake and air filter, but it does not have near the airflow capabilites of the CAI that many of us purchase. Removal of the stock MAF chip should not be done at all.
Old 02-26-2007, 10:59 PM
RICVA05
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: howarmat

I am not quite sure what all you are saying but:
Removal of the stock MAF chip should not be done at all.
I don'tthink that is what he was talking about I think he was referring to removing the HCtrap which was put on up to mid year 05's. I really don't you willrealize what you will be missing unless you get a JLT-11 or a C&L cai.
Old 02-26-2007, 11:12 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

Just curious... but what does it sound like? I order the CAI-Xcal combo from brendspeed yesterday... and am anxiously awaiting my package..

ORIGINAL: delstang

I think there are CAI's with a good custom tune that can get you in the 30 -35 RWHP gain. I would say the CAi is worth more like 10-15 RWHP. Go for the CAI and custome tune, you will be pleased, plus it looks neat and sounds good.
Old 02-26-2007, 11:20 PM
Quick S
2nd Gear Member

Well, if your at one point plannig a SC anyway, a CAI would be a waste of money unless your planning to go with Saleen. IMO, I would go with just the tuner, as long as it can be used to re-tune the car in the future forthe SC application your going to go with.
Old 02-26-2007, 11:26 PM
Black GT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Turbosetch

As a new owner of the 05 GT I have been looking to do the basic mods until the purchase of the S/C. In my research and looking at dynos etc I have found that it seems the cost of the CAI may not be worth the gains of just a good flash / tune. I have seen a few dynos that show about a 20hp increase just from a brenspeed tune and the removal of the emmisions device in the stock intake. There seems to be a pre-catalytic-converter right after the MAF in the stock intake. With the removal of that alone you get a few ponys. It seems to me that if 20hp can be done with a good tune and a modified stock intake then the cost for another 2-4HP would be a waste on a CAI. The stock intake is also a CAI since it pulls from the fender well.

I think I am pretty set on just a tuner and tune from brenspeed after all said and done. Any thoughts on this?
This was only on some of the '05s, then Ford did away with it.
Old 02-26-2007, 11:30 PM
ohsixgt1217
4th Gear Member

I dont exactly understand what you are saying. If you get a tune, without a cai, what exactly do you have in your car to tune? Not much. There is a reason that tunes are sold in packages with cai's, the simple fact that your car is sucking more air therefore you tune the car to produce more power. Yes our stock intakes pull "cold air", just not nearly as much as an after market cai. You'r talking about it not worth the money to get the cai if you're going to get a tuner, in my mind it would not be worth it to get a tune if you're not going to get the cai.

You can pick one up in a package deal from brespeed where it would come out htat the cai cost you like $100. Spending $400 on just a tune would be kind of worthless compared to spending $525 and getting everything.
Old 02-26-2007, 11:36 PM
Bluestar
5th Gear Member

I bought the Airaid CAI because I had some concerns about tuning the car. I thoght hey this is great awesome sound improved throttle response and better gas mileage, what could be better...........I sent my SCT tuner to Brenspeed told them what I had, less than a week later my tuner was back. The result WOW!!!!! get A CAI and a tune (93oct) you'll never want to park your car.
Old 02-27-2007, 12:00 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

get A CAI and a tune (93oct) you'll never want to park your car.
Very well put, I have the same feeling sometimes!

Quick Reply: Is the CAI worth it or just a good tune