Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cold air intakes with no computer tuning?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 12:14 PM
cats99

Default Cold air intakes with no computer tuning?

Hi guys I am new to this site I just puchased myfirst Mustang a 2006 convert GT five speed , shaker 1000 18" polished rim option.

I want to do some minor tuning now but in the future I have big plans for my baby,supercharging her when the time comes$ but for now I want toget the best bang for the buck,a cold air intake with no flashing I am looking at either the Granatelli motorsports, K&N or the Roush. Any sugestions? The Granatelli comes with a programed MAF and shows the most gains the other two are I assume not going to effect mycar by making the computer compinsate by going lean on the fuel and showing a check engine light?Are these units worth it with no reflash will I notce a increase in sound and HP?or should I just throw in a K&N with the stock airbox for now until I supercharge!
Old 02-27-2007, 12:21 PM
2k05gt
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Cold air intakes with no computer tuning?

GMS will make more power than the K&N Aircharger, but if you plan to supercharger in the near future then I suggest to save your cash and get the Drop in, I'ts up to you.Search the site for each CAI and it will help you since this has been hashed ofer 1000 times
Old 02-27-2007, 12:56 PM
stangdude81
2nd Gear Member

I put a GMS unit on since I didn't want to spend the cash right away on a tune too, figuring I could always get a tune later that will work with the CAI. I put it on only a couple weeks after I bought the car and honestly couldn't tell a difference, mainly because I was still breaking the engine in. Now that I'm used to how the car runs, I took it off to go to the dealer the other day and never got a chance to put it back on yet. The car is definately more of a dog without the CAI, now that I'm used to the car, I can definately tell a difference. More power in the middle and top end and a more aggressive sound to the car at WOT.
Old 02-27-2007, 02:27 PM
wingman75
5th Gear Member

When I installed mine I didn't think I would be able to tell much difference but it was amazing how much it changed. It pulls much harder all the way through the power band and sounds fantastic. Decided not to do an exhaust change because it was now perfect sounding for me. You'll love it! The only regret I have is that I didn't pop for the polished version.

Old 02-27-2007, 02:32 PM
06gt5spd
2nd Gear Member

I got the K&N kitand have been very pleased with it, the sound and performance.
Old 02-27-2007, 02:33 PM
buddha211
2nd Gear Member

If I were going to s/c in the future I would probably just get the drop in K&N for the time being and spend your money on a tuner instead of a CAI. Just a tune alone made a huge difference for me. If you really want a CAI that doesn't need a tune though I've heard nothing but good things about the K&N and BBK kits.
Old 02-27-2007, 04:47 PM
RED121572
4th Gear Member

Dang, can that engine bay get any cleaner? [sm=insomnia.gif]
Old 02-27-2007, 07:04 PM
Fast Toys
Banned

The GMS unit is I believe the only one on the market that doesn't need a custom tune and that is only because they include a recalibrated MAF with the unit. We have them on sale too if you are interested
Old 02-27-2007, 07:08 PM
buddha211
2nd Gear Member

I was under the impression that the BBK and K&N intakes keep the MAF inlet the same size and do a good job of keeping the A/F ration acceptable without any tuning.
Old 02-27-2007, 07:26 PM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

I have the k&n and it works great. In hindsight though the Granatelli is really the best way to go since you can put your stock maf in and do a tune later with better results than a k&n with a tune. I believe the BBK is the same way but im not positive. With the exception of the Saleen blower though I believe your cai goes bye-bye with a blower intstall. It sounds like your best bet is a drop-in and a tune.

Quick Reply: Cold air intakes with no computer tuning?