Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S197 owners not real Mustang Enthusiasts??

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 02:24 PM
StickShifty
5th Gear Member

Default S197 owners not real Mustang Enthusiasts??

Its pretty clear that many S197 owners are not real mustang enthusiasts, they just got the car for the looks. And it seems thatmany S197 owners dont like the other mustang models, like the Fox and SN platform. I believe its mostly because they got the car for the styling not becasue its a mustang.

I myself am a huge mustang guy, always wanted one and will continue to do so. My next one is coming up and it will be a 07 GT, good styling and its the only mustang that i can buy new. i would get a Cobra but you cant get them new anymore.

Just my opinion, not trying to **** people off, just wanted to hear others opinions on this subject.
Old 02-28-2007, 02:40 PM
555*
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: S197 owners not real Mustang Enthusiasts??

Its true. I hate ford but liked the retro styling, otherwise I wouldn't have bought it. All the older mustangs(besides the 60s)just don't do anything for me.

PS.I still hate ford, they couldn't make a good car if they wanted too, this will be the last and only Ford I ever own.
Old 02-28-2007, 02:42 PM
PDXStangDude
1st Gear Member

Yeah, sure your not trying to **** any one off!! Most s197 owners have owned previous mustangs. I owned a 69 Coupe and would have loved to own a 03 Mach 1 or Terminator.

Nice generalization there buddy...
Old 02-28-2007, 02:42 PM
jpeng16990
1st Gear Member

Well, Ive owned a 96, 02 and now an 05. I am a mustang-nut in every sense of the word. My pops is too. Shifty, my opinion is this: when ford came out with the S197, it appealed to such a wide spectrum of people,from the die hards like you and me to the ones that probably never imagined they would own a mustang.

I think, that the second a person is willing to buy a mustang-no matter what body/year, they have become a mustang enthusiast by default. Most people buy a car because they genuinely like it except for a few rare cases. Granted, if by enthusiast you mean, putting a picture of your car as the screensaver, washingher every weekend, giving her a name, pouring thousands of dollars into her after youve bought her, then ok; maybe not an enthusiast by that definition

Just my two pennies. Speaking of mustang-nut, its been 4 months since ive driven her and I can't wait to get back! 2 months longer.
Old 02-28-2007, 02:45 PM
Jays Mustang
3rd Gear Member

Oh come on, your just trying to cross some hairs on some butts. I've been a gearhead my whole life.Bunch of musclecars. But are yougonna say because I bought the 6 I'm not an enthusiast? Hey that's whatI could afford. And barely at that. We all bought the new style because it looks good. Think we'd buy a ugly piece of crap just because of the name on it? I did a thread on that with the GTO. I had a couple old Goats and wouldn't touch that new one even if I could afford it. It looked like crap.
Old 02-28-2007, 02:46 PM
POWERS
2nd Gear Member

I was never a mustang fan except for the originals, i could definately do without the fox bodys, and even more so the late 90s early 00s. I bought my 06 GT becasue of the styling and because at the moment there was no transam or camaro available and the GTO was ugly as hell.

That being said now that ive had my stang I love it, id buy it again if I had to (unless maybe there was still a trans am available). Ofcourse that doesn't change my opinion of the other models, there still not my thing.
Old 02-28-2007, 02:46 PM
SOHCman
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: StickShifty

Its pretty clear that many S197 owners are not real mustang enthusiasts, they just got the car for the looks. And it seems thatmany S197 owners dont like the other mustang models, like the Fox and SN platform. I believe its mostly because they got the car for the styling not becasue its a mustang.

Just my opinion, not trying to **** people off, just wanted to hear others opinions on this subject.
Well you have to admit the new body style is great! Even if people aren't enthusiasts, they are still buying them! That means more Mustangs to come!

I loved the '69-'73 and respected the 5.0 even though it was too "boxy". Still love the howl when I see one go by.I liked the 2001 enough to test-drive, but I bought an '06.

There are enough models out there for everyone to be happy.

Just relax in the fact that you were NOTborn with the "I think it would be cool to drive a Honda Accord with big stickers on the sides..." gene!!!

SOHC
[sm=roll.gif]
Old 02-28-2007, 02:52 PM
Shaguarama
2nd Gear Member

I'm not sure what you're trying to say. Usually you buy a car partly for looks. And guess what I think the s197 mustangs are the best-looking mustangs since the 60's and early 70's. In fact I think all the one's after that look like crap. Does that mean I'm not a real mustang enthusiast? No, it doesn't. I am a car fanatic and I'll admit I'm addicted to mustangs. Just my opinion, not trying to **** people off....
Old 02-28-2007, 02:53 PM
hottymustang
2nd Gear Member

I would put a fire suit on if I were you.

Granted, this body style has gotten a great many people into mustangs that weren't previously. But you can't judge a book by its cover. There are also a great many mustang lovers (like myself) that are here. The problem is that it is the newbies to the mustang world that post up all the CAI, exhaust, (we all know what I am talking about). And that is what most people always see. For me, I come on and just look at the threads that interest me. I am looking for information that furthers my knowledge about my car, not to rehash everything I already know.

As for the people who you see on the streets that think they are the cats meow because they have a brand new mustang, doesn't this happen every time there is a new body style out? There will always be people that get a car because they think that it looks good. Why would you buy a car that you think is ugly? If a person wants to buy a car for that reason, then by all means let them get their car.

Because you have so many people that have gotten into the mustang world via the S197, they don't have the appreciation for the previous body styles. That is what you have to deal with in the car world. Not everyone likes every model year mustang.
Old 02-28-2007, 02:57 PM
DaBoss
2nd Gear Member

I always like reading these threads were someone generalizes a group of people and then says "not trying to **** anyone off"

Quick Reply: S197 owners not real Mustang Enthusiasts??