Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

more tire issues........

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 10:01 PM
AmericanMuscle4.6GT
5th Gear Member

Default more tire issues........

this is pretty dumb.

i went to my dad cause i need new tires, telling him casually im gonna go out and get new tires tommorow. he goes into this whole big fit about tires, they have to be like meeting some kind of super standard. im not gonna go through the whole list of claims, but basically, he's idealogically against me getting wider tires, because "they're good for drag racing, and i don't like drag racing." he claims that narrower tires corner better because theres "less friction" on the tires..............you don't have to tell me, i know how incredibly absurd this is.

im looking at Nitto 555's and BF Goodrich KD's, both of which are fantastic tires. he's morally opposed to Nitto's because he thinks they'll blow up on me or run out in 5000 miles.

he hates the KD's because i want them.

he insists that i buy more ****ty pirelli tires. apparently because they came on the car, they are the best.

do wider tires cost more?

my ideal plan is BFG T/A KD in 275/50-17 on the rear and 245/55-17 on the front. would this cost more than the same tire in 235/55-17?

do shops charge u out the *** to install/balance a tire that they don't sell? more than installing/balancing one that they sell, but u didn't buy from them?
Old 02-28-2007, 10:11 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Default RE: more tire issues........

Smaller tire=cheaper and yes they will charge for anything they do probably.
Old 02-28-2007, 10:30 PM
06GT4RAD
5th Gear Member

OK I have a question for you. Is your Dad paying for your tires and are you a minor living under his roof? If so you need to do as he says Period! Now if this is not the case then take his advise say thanks and then go do as you wish since you are paying.

Yes those larger tires are going to cost more. The KDW2 in those sizes are roughly 300 each out back and 225 up front. Yes a place normally charges more for mounting and balancing than if you buy the tires from them.
Old 02-28-2007, 10:33 PM
Ford_Dude
5th Gear Member

wow I didn't think anyone would think that narrow minded
smaller= cheaper(crapier)
Wider = better
I have a 85 T-bird that had 195 wide tires (I don't know what the last owner was thinking) and they wear faster than the 235' I put in the back on it
narrower = higher pressure per inch on the tire which means faster wear
wider = more distributed weight and slower wear (although the exact material way help or hurt this)
also there is a balance between wideness and lowering the pressure per inch on the tire to the point of losing traction but a stickier tire can reverse this
also in that t-bird after going to 235 rear it made the ride alot smoother
I know you don't need to be told this but hearing someone say something like narrower = less friction is just to ridiculous
1 you want more friction not less
2 Friction is equal to the coefficient of friction * the normal force (net of forces acting toward the surface (gravity +down force caused by aerodynamics and factor in the change for when your not on a hill))
3 the friction of tires most of the time is static friction not kinetic but if your doing a burnout then there is kinetic friction
sorry but I had to explain it incase some don't understand
Old 02-28-2007, 10:36 PM
MartyMoose
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 06GT4RAD

OK I have a question for you. Is your Dad paying for your tires and are you a minor living under his roof? If so you need to do as he says Period! Now if this is not the case then take his advise say thanks and then go do as you wish since you are paying.
+1 (!)
Old 02-28-2007, 10:37 PM
Ford_Dude
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MartyMoose
+1 (!)
ya if he's paying then stay stock
if your paying then do as you please
Old 02-28-2007, 10:45 PM
AmericanMuscle4.6GT
5th Gear Member

Yes those larger tires are going to cost more. The KDW2 in those sizes are roughly 300 each out back and 225 up front. Yes a place normally charges more for mounting and balancing than if you buy the tires from them.

good point, very good point. but, im not a minor, and i am paying for the tires. although i am living under his roof, and basically i have almost zero say in what the tires are.

its kind of a weird situation. i have to pay for the tires, but he chooses what kind, cause he says its "his" car........i paid 21G so far, lets not get into this again please.
Old 02-28-2007, 10:53 PM
Ford_Dude
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: AmericanMuscle4.6GT

good point, very good point. but, im not a minor, and i am paying for the tires. although i am living under his roof, and basically i have almost zero say in what the tires are.

its kind of a weird situation. i have to pay for the tires, but he chooses what kind, cause he says its "his" car........i paid 21G so far, lets not get into this again please.
WTF
You pay for it you pay for the tires and he picks the tires OMGWTF
if you paid 21g so far how much did he pay
sorry I know what is like to have a dad that doesn't know simple physics
Old 02-28-2007, 11:09 PM
06GT4RAD
5th Gear Member

Well it sounds to me as though you are in a no win situation and I would suggest at this point you either try to talk to your dad like and adult and explain to him the added benefits of a wider tire. But if the bottom line is he has final say until you pay him completely for the car then do it his way for now and next time you are due for tires the car will be yours I am assuming and you will be free to do as you wish.

Richard
Old 02-28-2007, 11:16 PM
06SaLeEn
I ♥ Acer

Take the money for tires and move out. F*** that. I am sorry this doesnt add up. respect your dad, but I tell him to f off in a very nice way

Quick Reply: more tire issues........