Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

well I suck at shifting when I can't hear the engine

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 12:43 AM
Mike521
2nd Gear Member

Default well I suck at shifting when I can't hear the engine

I'm new to driving a manual tranny and am only on my 3rd day with the gt (pics coming sunday!), so I can't expect too much, but man do I suck at shifting when I can't hear the engine lol

I mean when I'm listening to music or talking on the cell phone (with hands free device of course). I'm fine at shifting when I can hear the engine and pay attention, but when I have to just guess / go by the tachometer, I suck. I either completely over-rev it (thank you TCS) or I stall it out (you didn't see that)

I guess you get better with time?

edit: btw I'm speaking almost exclusively about going from a complete stop into 1st and up. once I get to 3rd I'm fine even without hearing the engine
Old 03-01-2007, 12:44 AM
blueherd02gt
5th Gear Member

Default RE: well I suck at shifting when I can't hear the engine

Dude I hit the rev limiter twice when I first got my gt, but like everything you'll get used to it
Old 03-01-2007, 12:48 AM
DeStonn
4th Gear Member

What a car to start learning on.
Old 03-01-2007, 12:51 AM
mustangman2424
I ♥ Acer

I learned to drive a stick on a GT too, and it just takes time like anything else.

Kinda off topic, but could you guys imagine trying to learn drive a stick in the streets of San Fransisco? HAHAHA I had enough trouble on flat roads to begin with, and even now I still get a little nervous if i'm on a really steep hill.
Old 03-01-2007, 12:55 AM
mlcrycc
5th Gear Member

You will get used to it, but try paying attention to the tach when you can hear the engine. You will soon learn instinctively to pay attention to the tach without realizing it......

Mike
Old 03-01-2007, 12:57 AM
HypromanGT
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: DeStonn

What a car to start learning on.
Exactly. I feel your pain, though. This is my first manual; I had driven manuals before, but it had been like 2 years and I didn't drive them much, even then. If you bought a brand new one, expect it to be kinda rough for a bit, but it should settle down. It doesn't help that the computer is still trying to learn your driving habits, etc. [&:] Good luck, and don't get too discouraged. I can remember being so pissed at myself some days because it just wasn't doing what I wanted it to do, and the next day it would be a totally different story. Yay for technology (okay it may have been a little my fault, too, but...too bad...I'm blaming the technology )
Old 03-01-2007, 01:22 AM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

I'm with ya on this one Mike. This isn't the first manual I've ever driven, but it is the first with a hydraulic clutch and electronic throttle. It makes feelin what the car is doing alot harder. I actually still find myself in the habit of not driving with the stereo on when I'm around town...............just a habit from back in the days when I needed to hear the engine to launch proper. I'm not a big fan of staring at the gauge panel while I'm driving, so I never picked up the tach technique.

Like with anything else, it just takes two things..........time and practice. Hmp, just wait till you put a power adder in there...........you'll be learning all over again.[:@]
Old 03-01-2007, 01:24 AM
hottymustang
2nd Gear Member

I first learned on a old friends Mark IV Jetta. That was fun.

But like anything, all you need is practice. I used to take the car to the local mall, cause they had a steep hill on the one side, so thats where i learned to come out of first on a hill. I would suggest going late at night on that one, it will scare the local mall-shoppers

So, every car I've had since then has been a manual, and I wouldn't drive anything else.

And I always go by listening to the engine, cause some cars don't have a tach. So, if you get used to having to look at it, then thats not a good thing.
Old 03-01-2007, 01:29 AM
06Redfire3V
5th Gear Member

this is also my first manual. i have had my car a week and getting alot better but not 100% maybe like 70 pushing it...hills are the worst, and also when some jackass gets right on ur *** it's the worst feeling in the world haha
Old 03-01-2007, 01:39 AM
phunnyguy
4th Gear Member

i learned how to get out of first gear on an ice coverd parking lot, owned a stick in every car ever since.....you will get good at it, downshifting is sooooomuch fun..but it eats gas.....

Quick Reply: well I suck at shifting when I can't hear the engine