Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

UPDATE: Problems with tranny Help!!

Old 03-01-2007, 06:01 AM
androdz
I ♥ Acer

Default UPDATE: Problems with tranny Help!!

Guys I need help to see what is wrong with my tranny. I have taken it 5x to the dealer already and they haven't found any problems with it and say that is usually for the new gt. Anyways the problem that I have is usually when racing when I go to change from 2nd to 3rd it usually takes 1 full second for the gear to get in and same with 4th. As I keep running the car it gets worst and worst. The other day it after doing a race it would not go into any gear. I had to try like for 2 minutes for it to go to a gear and then it was an *** to change the gears. I stopped and let the car cool down for 20 minutes and bam it no problems. Sometimes I have the problems with getting it into reverse. I was told it could be the throw out bearing but if that was the case shouldn't it sound like a busted bearing when I engage the clutch in neutral? I have no idea what could be the problem, thought at first it was the shifter binding but I got the k-member with the Torque Limiters installed and it still has the same problem. Any ideas or possible solutions would be greatly appreciated thanks.

Edit: also I almost forgot I changed the transmission fluid 3 months ago to RP synchromax

Andrew
Old 03-01-2007, 06:13 AM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Problems with tranny Help!!

I was going to suggest the fluids but you edited that back in. Almost sounds like the trans is getting too hot, especially when you say that after a brief wait it works fine again.
Old 03-01-2007, 09:38 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Since it appears to be limited to3rd & 4th gears, I suspect that the 3-4 synchro hub may be damaged. I broke a hub once, and the tranny fought me every mm of the way into gears under some conditions (but not all the time). Found it cracked into three pieces, and it was kept from falling completely apart and off the shaft by the synchro rings themselves.

I'd make sure that whatever gear oil you use is recommended for use, as different trannies respond differently to different oils, and come with different recommendations. By way of example, the Tremec 3550 that I have in one car came with a recommendation for GM Synchromesh Fluid.

Norm
Old 03-01-2007, 09:38 AM
billyjo
2nd Gear Member

what i think is happening is that the RP is to thin for your tranny and you need a thicker oil for the auto trans. If the oil is to thin than the shifting will not happen. You may need to go back to stock oil.
Old 03-01-2007, 09:42 AM
jmk3
3rd Gear Member

I think he has manual but he never said so.
Old 03-01-2007, 09:44 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Ummm, I'm pretty sure it's a stick . . .

when I engage the clutch in neutral?
Old 03-01-2007, 09:57 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

ORIGINAL: Norm Peterson

Ummm, I'm pretty sure it's a stick . . .

when I engage the clutch in neutral?
+1...he talks about shifting many times
Old 03-01-2007, 10:14 AM
BigDave
3rd Gear Member

This does not fully explain your problem, but could your hysraulic clutch fluid have air in the line, and be getting hot and expanding the bubbles? Yeah, sounds kinda far-fetched...
Old 03-01-2007, 11:14 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

I doubt that the clutch fluid is the problem, else he'd also have trouble with 1st and 2nd.

I'm guessing that he has more trouble selecting reverse from either 3rd or 4th than 1st or 2nd, too.

Another possibility is a bad 3-4 shift fork.

Norm
Old 03-01-2007, 02:01 PM
androdz
I ♥ Acer

Thanks for the help guys, yes it is an 05 manual. It drives perfect under daily driving no problems but during high revs, I dont power shift but a quick shift at 6,300 will just not happen.

Andrew

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: UPDATE: Problems with tranny Help!!