Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For those that go to the track...

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 04:51 AM
Sprzout
4th Gear Member

Default For those that go to the track...

I was just looking over the requirements to go drag racing at the local 1/8th mi. here in town (the nearest 1/4 mi. is over 100 mi. away) and one of the things they require for all cars is 2 throttle return springs. However, since our cars are drive-by-wire, do we even have something like that? If so, where would I look?

I know there's people out there that have taken their S197s to the track, and from what I've been told this is not an uncommon requirement, so what are people doing to pass inspection on this?
Old 03-02-2007, 04:59 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Default RE: For those that go to the track...

They require that on vehicles that are carbed or have regular throttles. Just bring a helmet, a chair, food/soda and your video recorder. If it's your first trip. Go slow, be patient and watch what everyone does for a while and then go do it.

Most important..HAVE FUN!
Old 03-02-2007, 05:23 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

You should only need a helmet. Some look the other way even on the helmet. If running slicks a driveshaft safety loop is required or if your running faster than 12.99 or something.
Old 03-02-2007, 06:42 PM
Sprzout
4th Gear Member

Ok...I've taken other cars to the strip before, but those were ones that HAD throttle return springs or carbs...

I'm kinda nervous about it, though, because I'm afraid the rear end's gonna get squirrelly on me and I'm going to end up sideways into a wall or something off the start. Once the car's rolling, I can pretty much control the rear end, but it's that start that worries me.
Old 03-02-2007, 07:03 PM
jmk3
3rd Gear Member

Your probably gonna find that a well prepped track is so sticky that you will not get squirelly like you do on the street, don't go nuts the first run and you should be fine.
Old 03-02-2007, 07:44 PM
scrming
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Sprzout

Ok...I've taken other cars to the strip before, but those were ones that HAD throttle return springs or carbs...

I'm kinda nervous about it, though, because I'm afraid the rear end's gonna get squirrelly on me and I'm going to end up sideways into a wall or something off the start. Once the car's rolling, I can pretty much control the rear end, but it's that start that worries me.
Never be afraid to LIFT! With the N20 and street radials on some of the poorly prepped track (test and tunes) it would feel like driving on ice... The spray would come on and the ar would want to go sideways... Immediatly off the gas! Don't try to and be a hero and try to drive through it... get off the gas instead... well.. that's my useless advice anyways..
Old 03-02-2007, 09:32 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

I have only gone sidewayz off the line once and I immediately let off. My *** end always gets sidewayz on the street shifting to second at WOT, but not at the strip. You'll be fine, try launching at 2k first. I need a rpm light as well as a shift light cause I can't watch the rpms and the tree at the same time. Last time I spun all through first gear and have no idea what my rpms were at when I launched, but the car didn't like going into second with the tires still spinning.
Old 03-02-2007, 10:01 PM
Stkjock
Retired Mod

Dont know where you are.... but NJ now requires fire jacket in addtion to helmet is your car runs better that 13.99 or has power add (one of the two)

Old 03-02-2007, 10:16 PM
Thurman
5th Gear Member

stkjock, where in N.J. are you talking about, English town or Island? or both. i live in Rockaway and hope to go to Island a lot this year.
Old 03-02-2007, 10:23 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

that seems a bit much doesn't it?

ORIGINAL: Stkjock

Dont know where you are.... but NJ now requires fire jacket in addtion to helmet is your car runs better that 13.99 or has power add (one of the two)

Quick Reply: For those that go to the track...