Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I scratched my rims!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2007, 02:39 AM
Silencer06
2nd Gear Member

Location: Raised in Chicago; living near St. Louis in Troy, IL
Default I scratched my rims!!!

Okay, go ahead and call me an idiot....but after almost a year of owning this car, I'm still having a hard time gauging the distance of my wheels fromcurbs on the passenger side. Well wouldn't you know it,it finally causedme some pretty good scratcheson theouter edge of mychrome deep dish wheels while I was trying to parallel park the other day!! OUCH!

Does anyone have any tips for repairing the scratches (sanding them out??) and then protecting them with some kind of treatment to prevent them from rusting??
Old 03-03-2007, 03:52 AM
Caution
5th Gear Member

Default RE: I scratched my rims!!!

I have never heard of anyone sanding out scratches in the rims but you can get the rim dipped and filled... I have no clue what that would run though. If it were me I would just buy a new rim & stop driving like Hellen Keller That does suck though man -- I would be pissed[:@]
Old 03-03-2007, 04:20 AM
Rt1Rebel
3rd Gear Member

I almost creamed my wheels when I went to see my daughter at college... Fortunately, the KDSW rimguard worked, I scuffed the tire, but the wheel was untouched...
Old 03-03-2007, 05:29 AM
Jim D.
3rd Gear Member

It depends somewhat on how deep the scuffs are... if they are light surface scratches, try some chrome polish.

If the scuffs are through the chrome, there's not much you can do besides carefully sand or file the affected area to make it look not so rough... though you might just be best off leaving them alone.

Assuming the rim is actually aluminum, and it likely is, you won't get rust. Though the problem is you're obviously dealing with copper and nickel plating below the chrome, so you've got a transition of colors and you're probably removing some material to the point where it looks pretty obvious.

Replacement or professional repair is really best... plan on $100+ for repair and re-chroming.
Old 03-03-2007, 04:22 PM
WuStangKlan
I ♥ Acer

sorry to hear.

Old 03-03-2007, 04:46 PM
ryterngki
2nd Gear Member

Call some local body shops and ask who they use for rim repairs. I did the same thing to my right front about a month after I bought my Mustang and had a standingestimate done from a guy who will come to my workplace and repair the rim for about $75.00.
Old 03-03-2007, 06:30 PM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

This is why I haven't tried fantasizing about getting black ones.
Old 03-03-2007, 06:37 PM
Jays Mustang
3rd Gear Member

Ya I did the same but cutting a corner too tight, hit curb. As said not much to do other than sanding sharp edges. The rims are probably aluminum so you don't have to worry about rust. If they are steel, after smoothing the grind points just put some clear paint on with a little brush. Be careful sanding around chrome, you could get it peeling. Maybe just the clear and try not to let it bother you. Ya I know, mine does too every time I clean the wheels.
Old 03-03-2007, 08:41 PM
RedNyt GT
2nd Gear Member

Curbed my brand new Konig rim only after 4 days [:@]( I was so F'n mad at myself) There is a local wheel repair shop that put on a lathe machine (?) and made the thing look brand new. It cost me $150. He said if they were chrome they couldnt fix as easy or at all. Said if they were chrome would have to have re-chromed and he said that would be very expensive... better of buying new rim
Old 03-03-2007, 09:08 PM
Silencer06
2nd Gear Member

Location: Raised in Chicago; living near St. Louis in Troy, IL

ORIGINAL: Rt1Rebel

I almost creamed my wheels when I went to see my daughter at college... Fortunately, the KDSW rimguard worked, I scuffed the tire, but the wheel was untouched...
I've got KDWs as well and as soon as I heard the crunch I thought of that rim guard edge they have and hoped they did their job, but alas, no such luck for this "Helen Keller". [8D]

Thanks for all the tips guys. I'm pretty hesitant to do anything at all to the rim because, having never worked on chrome before, I'm pretty sure I'd screwitup somehow. I think I'm either going to leave it alone or take some of the advice here and call for prices on repair.

As for whether they're aluminum or not, I don't know. I bought them at American Muscle.com, so do any of you know whether they DD Bullits are aluminum or not?

Quick Reply: I scratched my rims!!!