Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 10:40 PM
TheDarkPath
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Exhaust Vibration

ORIGINAL: redfireshaker06

Please do, but if I know what your saying, mine is not having that problem. If I remember correctly, the hanger is not all the way. But your having the same exact symptoms I am to the T. I'm glad though finally someone found a fix and hopefully mine will get fixed. But there is a plate your saying thats underneath the car thats vibrating? I'll check when I get home tomorrow from work. Its to late now
Well, the crossmember that the gromets are attached to was relaying the vibration into the interior of the car.
Check to make sure the tips of the hangers aren't hitting anything (like bolt heads).
Check all the bolts to make sure they're tight.
Go over the entire length of the exhaust system, headers to axle-backs, to check clearance.
Try hitting both sides of the mid-pipe with your hand and listen for anything clanging, tapping, or vibrating.

The TSB (if i'm not mistaken) is for the gromet peice that's attached to the crossmember. They can become loose and rattle or vibrate. 05ROUSHER, correct me if i'm wrong.
Old 04-09-2007, 10:47 PM
06 Black Beauty
2nd Gear Member

well, I'm having the samething and I saw the TSB using the 3" hose clamps for the 2 rubber gromits. I went and bought my own and I will try it this weekend. I figured if this was FORD's fix for the problem that I could do that in the drive way instead of having to take it in for something like that. I'm not sure how these 2 clamps will fix the problem but people who have had it done said it fixed their vibration. So I figured for 85 cents a piece I figure what the hell I'll give it a try.

george
Old 04-10-2007, 09:46 PM
redfireshaker06
4th Gear Member

That looks like its my problem. how the heck did you bend those hangers. I tried to beat the Shiat out of it with a hammer. It might have moved2/16's if thator so. I shoved a piece of thick material in there. If it doesn't melt that should help it. I haven't had a chance to take it out yet. But I can tell right off in the morning when I brake. I always hear it when I go to work. Thanks man for the help. I sure hope I moved the hanger enough.

ORIGINAL: TheDarkPath

Please do, but if I know what your saying, mine is not having that problem. If I remember correctly, the hanger is not all the way. But your having the same exact symptoms I am to the T. I'm glad though finally someone found a fix and hopefully mine will get fixed. But there is a plate your saying thats underneath the car thats vibrating? I'll check when I get home tomorrow from work. Its to late now
Well, the crossmember that the gromets are attached to was relaying the vibration into the interior of the car.
Check to make sure the tips of the hangers aren't hitting anything (like bolt heads).
Go over the entire length of the exhaust system, headers to axle-backs, to check clearance.
Try hitting both sides of the mid-pipe with your hand and listen for anything clanging, tapping, or vibrating.

The TSB (if i'm not mistaken) is for the gromet peice that's attached to the crossmember. They can become loose and rattle or vibrate. 05ROUSHER, correct me if i'm wrong.
Old 04-10-2007, 09:59 PM
TheDarkPath
3rd Gear Member

That looks like its my problem. how the heck did you bend those hangers. I tried to beat the Shiat out of it with a hammer. It might have moved2/16's if thator so. I shoved a piece of thick material in there. If it doesn't melt that should help it. I haven't had a chance to take it out yet. But I can tell right off in the morning when I brake. I always hear it when I go to work. Thanks man for the help. I sure hope I moved the hanger enough.

ORIGINAL: TheDarkPath

The best way to bend the hanger is with the h-pipe off the car. I'll probably do this eventually. What I ended up doing was getting under the car and using an old deep socket, put the end of the hanger in the socket until it hit the bottom of the socket, and then I hammered the hell out of the socket end. The socket was a lot easier to get at with the hammer than just the end of the hanger alone. Driver's side, I was able to bend back about 1/4 inch. The passenger side, however, I was only able to get it about 1/8 of an inch so I'll have to take the h-pipe off at some point to bend it back more to prevent the rubbing from happening again.
Old 05-22-2007, 09:14 PM
ilmor
3rd Gear Member

Where can I find a copy of the TSB mentioned above?
Old 05-22-2007, 09:22 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

http://www.2005stang.com/gallery/alb...%20console.pdf

Just an FYI...i banged the **** out of the crossmember and I had no rattles....still have a rattle at 3k under load though [:@]