Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom Exhaust/loudmouths

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 02:14 PM
GT4HUTCH
2nd Gear Member

Default Custom Exhaust/loudmouths

/Right now i am running violators and an off road x. I like it but want a different/deeper sound. Lots of people are running loud mouths and I have heard them on Brenspeed's web sight as well as in person on a stock mid pipe. They sound good but I can't see spending that much on some straight pipe. I am having them made at a local shop. I bought some 12"x3" stainless slach cut rolled tips and the pipe will be mandrel bent stainless. It's only costing me $150 plus the price of the tips I got. Will they sound a little differnt than loudmouths due to the length of the tips? They will be installed Friday. Has anyone noticed a loss of low end torque running loudmouths or a similar custom set up? I talked to SLP and the guys at Brenspeed and they said the dyno shows no difference and their is no difference felt while driving the car. "I wouldn't gain anything but I wouldn't lose anything."
Hopefully the following week I will have my Kooks longtube headers and catted x-pipe. I hope to pick up about 15hp with them. That will be my 4th and hopefully final exhaust system on this car. I think the hi flow cats with the LT headers will tone down the straight pipes and hopefully get rid of the fuel vapor ignition in the pipes on deceleration. Appologize about being so long winded. Just want some feedback. I keep getting a lot of opinions that "straight pipes are going to kill your performance." If that were so then why are so many running loud mouths. Again I spoke with the guys at Brenspeed and they said that they see no gains on the dyno with corsas, borlas, or any axle-backs for that matter over the stock mufflers. Not one HP because the factory mufflers are hi flow. The only gains would be cosmetic and sound, the more expensive brands having little or no drone. Well what do ya'll think? Thanx.

HUTCH
Old 03-06-2007, 02:19 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Default RE: Custom Exhaust

You are correct on the HP gains with just changing mufflers.

If you want a deeper tone the x-pipe is not the way to go.. it has a raspier sound. An o/r h-pipe with give you a louder and deeper sound.

You are getting longtubes so that will add a whole new sound alone but you should pick up some nice gains with them.
Old 03-06-2007, 02:32 PM
GT4HUTCH
2nd Gear Member

I know the h pipe will make deeper, but the x will make more power. How big a difference I don't know. I think I am going to stay with the x pipe. It seems more and more heaeder manufacturers are selling xpipes now to compliment their headers in comparison to hpipes anyways. I just don't want to loose anything going with straight pipes. I guess for a couple of weeks I will be running them on an o/r x. I'm sure it'll be pretty doggone loud. I think the headers and cats will tone it down though
Old 03-06-2007, 02:39 PM
Leos06gtLL
3rd Gear Member

Modified Mustangs MAG tested various combo's of X pipes and H pipes were the gains are similiar to each other its just a miff. the type of High flow cats really made the difference
Old 03-06-2007, 02:41 PM
GT4HUTCH
2nd Gear Member

Interesting. I'd like to read that article.
Old 03-06-2007, 07:24 PM
GT4HUTCH
2nd Gear Member

has anyone tried to put together something similar to the lm's on their own?
Old 03-17-2007, 05:09 AM
Leos06gtLL
3rd Gear Member

its in this months magazine
Old 03-17-2007, 09:36 AM
ohsixgt1217
4th Gear Member

LM's have resonators in them. Basically they are "straight pipe" in the sense there are no mufflers, but not litterally.
Old 03-19-2007, 04:06 PM
GT4HUTCH
2nd Gear Member

They have resonators in them?
Old 03-19-2007, 06:13 PM
Drew47000000
3rd Gear Member

They have resonators in them?
I didnt think they had anything in them!

Quick Reply: Custom Exhaust/loudmouths