Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many have hit the rev limiter?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 04:48 PM
lugnut
1st Gear Member

Default RE: How many have hit the rev limiter?

I used to hit it quite often when I first got the car. These engines run very smooth at the higher RPM's and feel like she is just hitting her stride at about 6000 rpm.
Old 03-06-2007, 04:50 PM
Arwing
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GT Newbie

ORIGINAL: Arwing

I do every time I drive. At least 6/10 lights I will do it. I bought the car to have fun with, not to baby it.

I hope that you'll take pity on the poor unsuspecting slob who eventually ends up buying your car and will at least give him or her a rock-bottom bargain price.....?
JEEZ...!
nope. its my car ill do whatever i want with it.

[sm=trust_me.gif]

Hey, I don't have a problem with that- I was just feeling a bit sorry for the poor unsuspecting slob who ends up buying your car after it's been run so hard.
Don't get me wrong, I LOVE acceleration too- but wouldn't keep bouncing off the rev-limiter like that in MY baby ("I do it EVERY time I drive").
Personally I would never even CONSIDER buying either a used sports or muscle car for exactly that reason.......
well since this is my first car, maybe i just need to get it all out of my system now. and i plan to keep her forever

i hope...[>:]
Old 03-06-2007, 04:59 PM
GT Newbie
3rd Gear Member

I do every time I drive. At least 6/10 lights I will do it. I bought the car to have fun with, not to baby it.

I hope that you'll take pity on the poor unsuspecting slob who eventually ends up buying your car and will at least give him or her a rock-bottom bargain price.....?
JEEZ...!
nope. its my car ill do whatever i want with it.

[sm=trust_me.gif]

Hey, I don't have a problem with that- I was just feeling a bit sorry for the poor unsuspecting slob who ends up buying your car after it's been run so hard.
Don't get me wrong, I LOVE acceleration too- but wouldn't keep bouncing off the rev-limiter like that in MY baby ("I do it EVERY time I drive").
Personally I would never even CONSIDER buying either a used sports or muscle car for exactly that reason.......
well since this is my first car, maybe i just need to get it all out of my system now. and i plan to keep her forever

i hope...[>:]

Nah, I'm afraid you'll never get it out of your system unless you start driving a Civic or Prius or some POS like that.
I drove like a maniac when I was your age (in my parents' 1967 289 Stang), and still DO when conditions permit (dry roads with no other traffic or sidestreets).
I plan on keeping mine "forever" too- or at least till ONE of us croaks......
Old 03-06-2007, 05:08 PM
okbfd
4th Gear Member

Was practicing launches this weekend on hwy entrance ramps. LOL......couldn't figure out what the flickering light was and realized what a dumbass I was.....TCS. Took it off the next ramp and oops hit the rev limiter with excessive wheel spin Dang, an agressive launch is touchy with these things.
Old 03-06-2007, 05:17 PM
Gman13
3rd Gear Member

I did it the other day and it scared the crap out of me... I felt really bad... like I hurt my baby...
Hated doing it....

Old 03-06-2007, 05:26 PM
Brute03
5th Gear Member

bouncing off the limiter a few timeswon't hurt a damn thing, well not unless you're boosted or spraying that is
Old 03-06-2007, 05:46 PM
FrostByte
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Brute03

bouncing off the limiter a few timeswon't hurt a damn thing, well not unless you're boosted or spraying that is
+1
Hitting the rev limiter is 1 thing, not gonna hurt unless you hold it there. Engine goes lean & detonation happens, rough on the valve-train.
Old 03-06-2007, 05:48 PM
dborne
1st Gear Member

i've done it a few times, but i try to aviod it cuz it sounds ugly
Old 03-06-2007, 05:50 PM
jaiasmit
3rd Gear Member

I wouldn't worry about it too much unless you happen to be racing a WS6 T/A when it happens. That's when it happened to me the first time in my '05 GT manual. Hit the limiter in both 1st and 2nd. Really puts a cramp in your style when you're losing seconds because of missed shifts and hitting the limiter. Had to give that race to the T/A.

You're right LUGNUT! She does seem to be hitting her stride around 6000.

Haven't had any problems in my auto. But, I raised the limiter right away in this one.
Old 03-06-2007, 06:23 PM
bodyputtyless
3rd Gear Member

My Bank has a "rev limiter" installed in their ATM's. Thats why I haven't even come close to my rev limiter.

Quick Reply: How many have hit the rev limiter?