Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Saleen SC Installer & Tuner

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 05:13 PM
MartyMoose
3rd Gear Member

Default Saleen SC Installer & Tuner

Alright, I just received my Saleen Series VI SC today. Now to start shopping around for installer prices and ask for your opinions for which tune to go with.

I've "heard" that with the PowerFlash I may only net around 350rwhp. This tune would save me some me some $$ but I believe there's more power to be found with this SC? Also, I've "heard" that once the ECM has bee reflashed with the PowerFlash then no other updates can be made (via handheld tuner)?

I don't have any installation price quotes yet - literally just received the SC.

Anyway, soliciting your opinion for which route for a tune you'd recommend.

Thanks.
Old 03-06-2007, 05:34 PM
Haulupki
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Saleen SC Installer & Tuner

JDM tune is excellent as far as canned tunes go. I have not yet heard of one complaint about their Saleen S/C tune. I went that route but then I still had it dyno'ed and the tune touched up for my particular ride set-up. If I had another chance to do it from scratch I would not even bother with the Saleen flash. Main reason is thatit runs lean on thetop end. The second reason is if you ever decide to go back to the stock intake,your original ford tune is lost by the Saleen reflash. With a dyno or canned tune you can reflash back to stock. Oh by the way, enjoy..........
Old 03-06-2007, 05:39 PM
jaiasmit
3rd Gear Member

Good questions. I've never heard that you cannot make any other adjustments to the tune if you install the Saleen tune. I really don't think that's the case. I think you just can't make any adjustments and still expect them to cover the warranty.

If you couldn't adjust it at all, you'd end up being stuck on gears and all sorts of other stuff.

I would have been out shopping for prices on all of this the second I ordered the SC. That's got to suck having the SC in hand, and not being able to use it yet.

Good luck
Old 03-06-2007, 05:47 PM
MartyMoose
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jaiasmit

Good questions. I've never heard that you cannot make any other adjustments to the tune if you install the Saleen tune. I really don't think that's the case. I think you just can't make any adjustments and still expect them to cover the warranty.

If you couldn't adjust it at all, you'd end up being stuck on gears and all sorts of other stuff.

I would have been out shopping for prices on all of this the second I ordered the SC. That's got to suck having the SC in hand, and not being able to use it yet.

Good luck
Yeah, that's waht I'm talking about too. I'd also like to ask others that have the PowerFlash about this. I haven't called Saleen yet but will do if no one chimes in here.
Old 03-06-2007, 05:51 PM
Red_Stallion
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Haulupki

JDM tune is excellent as far as canned tunes go. I have not yet heard of one complaint about their Saleen S/C tune. I went that route but then I still had it dyno'ed and the tune touched up for my particular ride set-up. If I had another chance to do it from scratch I would not even bother with the Saleen flash. Main reason is thatit runs lean on thetop end. The second reason is if you ever decide to go back to the stock intake,your original ford tune is lost by the Saleen reflash. With a dyno or canned tune you can reflash back to stock. Oh by the way, enjoy..........
So in essence what you're saying is perhaps the cheapest solution is to install the SC on the driveway and use the JDM tune?
Old 03-06-2007, 06:22 PM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MartyMoose

Alright, I just received my Saleen Series VI SC today. Now to start shopping around for installer prices and ask for your opinions for which tune to go with.

I've "heard" that with the PowerFlash I may only net around 350rwhp. This tune would save me some me some $$ but I believe there's more power to be found with this SC? Also, I've "heard" that once the ECM has bee reflashed with the PowerFlash then no other updates can be made (via handheld tuner)?

I don't have any installation price quotes yet - literally just received the SC.

Thanks.
first congrats.....mine is on the way....second...i have probably been researching this for a long time as well. I heard JDM hands down for the tune and $125 is not a huge investment. at least until i get it professionally dyno tuned down the road..month or so,,,,
next...dont bother with Saleen tune, everyone and I mean everyone i talked with from VMP tuning to Brenspeed, to UGM to JDM etc all say the same thing the regualr tune is crap from Saleen and indeed runs lean....I am going with the same shop that installed my Kooks etc...he is a race car guy who has been working on these 4.6 as well as 5.0 for years and is a liscensed NHRA installer....so he will be the guy..also since i am a previous customer I am getting an incredible deal.....well under 1000.....which is lower itself by 200 as 1200 was the cheapest install in the area i could find...
just make sure whoever installs, is reputable and knows what they are doing...
again good luck...I am envious of you and Powers as I still have to wait....
Old 03-06-2007, 06:24 PM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

oh yeah and I haveordered several upgrades before even getting the SC.....go figure....some were needed according to allot of fellow forum member here...
smaller pulley, 90mm maf, adaptor brackets for maf, harness, 39lb injectors....but it will all be very nice once it is done.....
Old 03-06-2007, 06:27 PM
Haulupki
1st Gear Member

yup! Thats what I did. The install is cake. Although I had a very small garage instead of a driveway. Doing it yourself is the way to go if you have the time. It took me a week to complete, working on it at night after the day job. The only thing that requires 2 people is lifting the S/C onto the heads. I have a very complete set of tools but I'll say that you only need a couple. I think a 10mm wobbly socket and maybe a heat gun are the only tools that are really "special". everything else is just plain hand tools.
Plus you will get alot more out of the S/C with a dyno or JDM tune. With my mods I hit 480 rwhp.I've pulled some of the timing back until I get the bottom end done for a little safety.
Old 03-06-2007, 06:42 PM
MartyMoose
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cheftjpeck

ORIGINAL: MartyMoose

Thanks.
first congrats.....mine is on the way....second...i have probably been researching this for a long time as well. I heard JDM hands down for the tune and $125 is not a huge investment. at least until i get it professionally dyno tuned down the road..month or so,,,,
next...dont bother with Saleen tune, everyone and I mean everyone i talked with from VMP tuning to Brenspeed, to UGM to JDM etc all say the same thing the regualr tune is crap from Saleen and indeed runs lean....I am going with the same shop that installed my Kooks etc...he is a race car guy who has been working on these 4.6 as well as 5.0 for years and is a liscensed NHRA installer....so he will be the guy..also since i am a previous customer I am getting an incredible deal.....well under 1000.....which is lower itself by 200 as 1200 was the cheapest install in the area i could find...
just make sure whoever installs, is reputable and knows what they are doing...
again good luck...I am envious of you and Powers as I still have to wait....
Yep! I found a local installer for a killer price (less than 1000)! Also, I've seen their body work - very, very nice. They have some cars at some of the local stealerships. Very, very nice. Man, I'm so jazzed.

Local installers I've spoken with have all mentioned JDM tunes. So, it's looking like JDM for the tune and the local installer. Did I say how jazzed I am? [sm=bounceybounce.gif]
Old 03-06-2007, 06:56 PM
pcdrj
2nd Gear Member

FYI: JDM has done hundreds of canned and custom dyno tunes of Saleen S/C cars. Saleen has had several of their cars custom tuned by JDM. They consistantly put down 450-475 rwhp and have not had an engine failure yet.

Quick Reply: Saleen SC Installer & Tuner