Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

exhaust noise when the engine is cold / surging throttle

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 07:47 PM
imyy4u
3rd Gear Member

Default exhaust noise when the engine is cold / surging throttle

All -

Just wondering if anyone else hears this noise and/or has this surging issue. If the engine is cold, and it's freezing outside (say 20 degrees F or less), and I start the car, and put it in 1st, and take it up to 5k or so (yes I know it's bad for the car), I hear a veryraspy metallic noise coming from the exhaust. It's almost like when you are winding up the rpm's and then all of a sudden kick the clutch...almost like a slight back-fire raspy noise.

Also, if the car engine is cold, and it's cold outside, and I start up the car, then immediately put it in gear without waiting for it to warm up, the car surges in 1st gear. Like the rpm's go /\/\/\/\/ from 1 to 4 to 1 to 4 etc. and the car bucks me so hard I smack my head on the headrest and almost on the steering wheel. What makes it worse is it slightly surges at first, but it's enough for me to lose constant pressure on the gas pedal, and then when I lean forward I end up pushing down on the pedal, then letting up, etc.This surging affects my foot position on the gas until I'm practically flooring it/taking my foot of the gas and causing the issuemyself. Anyone else have this issue?

FYI I have a 2006 Mustang GT Premium 5spd blk/blk IUP, Shaker 1000, 100% stock except 2 rear snow tires. I've also had the rear moan/groan TSB which didn't fix the issue.
Old 03-08-2007, 07:55 PM
JT_Moore05
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: exhaust noise when the engine is cold / surging throttle

ORIGINAL: imyy4u

All -

Just wondering if anyone else hears this noise and/or has this surging issue. If the engine is cold, and it's freezing outside (say 20 degrees F or less), and I start the car, and put it in 1st, and take it up to 5k or so (yes I know it's bad for the car), I hear a veryraspy metallic noise coming from the exhaust. It's almost like when you are winding up the rpm's and then all of a sudden kick the clutch...almost like a slight back-fire raspy noise.

Also, if the car engine is cold, and it's cold outside, and I start up the car, then immediately put it in gear without waiting for it to warm up, the car surges in 1st gear. Like the rpm's go /\/\/\/\/ from 1 to 4 to 1 to 4 etc. and the car bucks me so hard I smack my head on the headrest and almost on the steering wheel. What makes it worse is it slightly surges at first, but it's enough for me to lose constant pressure on the gas pedal, and then when I lean forward I end up pushing down on the pedal, then letting up, etc.This surging affects my foot position on the gas until I'm practically flooring it/taking my foot of the gas and causing the issuemyself. Anyone else have this issue?

FYI I have a 2006 Mustang GT Premium 5spd blk/blk IUP, Shaker 1000, 100% stock except 2 rear snow tires. I've also had the rear moan/groan TSB which didn't fix the issue.

I want to hear your reasoning behind pushing it to 5K when you first start it up, while in the below freezing temps...[&:]
Old 03-08-2007, 08:02 PM
imyy4u
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JT_Moore05

All -

I want to hear your reasoning behind pushing it to 5K when you first start it up, while in the below freezing temps...[&:]
did it once by accident (forgot the engine wasn't warm), and thought i heard a noise. so i have been doing it more lately to figure out what the hell the noise is.
Old 03-08-2007, 08:03 PM
JT_Moore05
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JT_Moore05

All -

did it once by accident (forgot the engine wasn't warm), and thought i heard a noise. so i have been doing it more lately to figure out what the hell the noise is.

oh, I thought you were just some dumbass doing this for fun, Sorry. But I have no idea what that noise is either.
Old 03-08-2007, 08:16 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

I hear the noise when cold also...right at 3k basically but not through the entire RPM range. It doesnt do it with warm temps. I almost want to say its pinging but i cant be for sure....i think it did it before the B ama tune but its been to long. I know others have it to, but nobody knows for sure what it is.
Old 03-08-2007, 09:04 PM
SeanoStang
4th Gear Member

sometimes i get the surging but its not nearly as bad as what you have
Old 03-08-2007, 10:30 PM
mAnYsTyLeS
4th Gear Member

Nothing works properly in freezing tempertures. I wouldn't rev it anymore if I were you. I'm sure everyones car would do that in that situation.