Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clay bar no luck, suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 04:05 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

Default Clay bar no luck, suggestions?

Well Ive washed, clay barred, tried bug/tar cleaner, paint cleaner, everything I can think of and this stuff wont come off. Im not sure what it is, but I have literally THOUSANDS of these little specs everywhere on my rear bumper. Some of them seem to be above the surface and I can slowly pick them off with my fingernail but others feel flat. I want to wax my car again but Im in fear of trapping whatever this stuff is under a layer of sealant and wax. Any ideas guys?

Old 03-10-2007, 04:38 PM
PROMETHEUS PRIME
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Clay bar no luck, suggestions?

matbe try using DAWN to break down some of the cleared to get to them. Just make sure to wax it good afterwards.
Old 03-10-2007, 04:42 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

Thanks, I will try that, Dawn is infamous for eating through anything it touches so it makes sense. It will definately get a wax today... I just gotta get this stuff off![:@]

If anyone else has any other ideas, please help!
Old 03-10-2007, 04:52 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

Well the Dawn didnt help any... even with some "less than gentle" scrubbing. Im at a loss here guys. [&:]

Its looking like Ill either wax everything but the rear bumper... or just wax over top of this stuff. Not sure which would be better.
Old 03-10-2007, 04:57 PM
sailing220
4th Gear Member

So you have no idea what it is? What is the texture of it?
Old 03-10-2007, 05:01 PM
Rupp
3rd Gear Member

This sounds harsh but did you try gas? It will normally cut any thing that can be cut and then follow with a good waxing.
Old 03-10-2007, 05:07 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sailing220

So you have no idea what it is? What is the texture of it?
No, I really have no idea what it is. I mean I park outside so it could be pretty much anything from dirt to radioactive waste, but I dont park under any trees or anything so I doubt its little sap particles. Texture wise... some of them you cant even feel when running a finger across them, and I have very sensative fingertips... but others I can feel a slight hard bump and scrape those off with my fingernail. There are a few oak trees in our yard but theyre a distance away from where I park, could they be tiny pollen particles that have somehow imbedded themselves into the clearcoat?

Rupp

This sounds harsh but did you try gas? It will normally cut any thing that can be cut and then follow with a good waxing.
Thanks, I will try gas and see if that helps. I also thought of lighter fluid so Im currently looking for some of that too.
Old 03-10-2007, 05:12 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

Just tried both gas and lighter fluid. Neither had any effect aside from making the car smell funky.[>:]
Old 03-10-2007, 05:17 PM
Menace
5th Gear Member

How about Sandpaper and a new paint job? Sorry... Seems you've covered all the bases and I'm not really show what technique you could possibly use. Maybe just scrape them all off with your fingernail?
Old 03-10-2007, 05:20 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

^ Ive been doing that to the ones that I can (the larger darker ones are the ones that can be picked off) but it is leaving all of the smaller yellow looking ones because I cant feel them, therefore cant scrape them. Im guessing Ill just have to wax over them?

Quick Reply: Clay bar no luck, suggestions?