Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Found my new toy... and lost it.

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 02:01 AM
kthulhu
1st Gear Member

Default Found my new toy... and lost it.

Howdy folks! Just wanted to formally say "hello". I've been lingering around for a bit now as I got all my ducks in a line to get a new Mustang. I've learned a lot and you all seem like a great forum crowd! So, today my dream finally came true, but not exactly how I had figure'd it would....

I've been shopping around for a new Mustang GT for a few months now, but today I found just the one I've been looking for. I really wanted a particular build (wheels, guages, etc) and hadn't found one with everything I wanted yet. I had been exclusively looking at new cars, but I had heard from a friend that the CarMax in Laurel, MD had a super nice 2006 GT. Preparing for disappointment, I head on over to take a look.

She's a beautifull 5-spd Screaming Yellow beast with nary a mark on her. Leather interior is flawless and she even has the 18" Bullets I wanted. Showed just over 5k on the odometer. In addition to that, her prior owner had stuck some (surprisingly) nice Flowmasters in back. The rear differntial cover had been replaced with a "LPW" piece. Judging by how much the speedo is off, I'm gonna guess that the stock 3.55 gears aren't in residence anymore. There's also a bit of gear whine when your on the gas at high speed, but it isn't too bad. I'll get it checked out just to be sure.

I keep looking out my window to make sure it's really there... funny how this car can make a 30-something old guy feel like a little kid a Christmas.
I'll try and get some pictures tomorrow.
Old 03-12-2007, 02:11 AM
blkGTconvert04
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Found my new toy!

you will love it! i got mine at carmax to.. enjoy!... you will
Old 03-12-2007, 02:20 AM
kthulhu
1st Gear Member

Thanks man! She really runs like a champ. I'll spend tomorrow trying see what else might have been modded on her.

I was very surprised how good CarMax was to deal with. I've done the whole dealer thing over the years, and dealing with CarMax was much more low-key. Heck, they offered me $2k more for my trade than any other dealership.

I'm already thinking about an intake and tuner from BrenSpeed, than get her stripped up in Baltimore.

ps: if anyone has a helpful hints on how I can figure out what my gear ratio is without taking the diff. apart, I'm all ears. I'm gonna guess that she's a 4.10
Old 03-12-2007, 02:38 AM
Ford_Dude
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: kthulhu
Thanks man! She really runs like a champ. I'll spend tomorrow trying see what else might have been modded on her.
I was very surprised how good CarMax was to deal with. I've done the whole dealer thing over the years, and dealing with CarMax was much more low-key. Heck, they offered me $2k more for my trade than any other dealership.
I'm already thinking about an intake and tuner from BrenSpeed, than get her stripped up in Baltimore.

ps: if anyone has a helpful hints on how I can figure out what my gear ratio is without taking the diff. apart, I'm all ears. I'm gonna guess that she's a 4.10
this might not be the easiest way but
put the rear on jack-stands and put the car in neutral then turn the driver's side rear wheel one revolution and count the number of times the DS turns
then if one turn of the wheel equals 4.1 DS turns then you have 4.1s
you might not get as accurate as if you knew what was put in as 4 turns might look like 3.9 or 4.1
Old 03-12-2007, 04:47 AM
Bluestar
5th Gear Member

Welcome to the forum, these guys are really great, you'll find that we don't pull punches here, mostly straight shooters. Drive at a steady speed like 60 or 70 mph and note what your RPM's are then use the gear calculator it should give you a good idea of the rear end gear ratio......Enjoy!!
Old 03-12-2007, 04:57 AM
Ford_Dude
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Bluestar
Welcome to the forum, these guys are really great, you'll find that we don't pull punches here, mostly straight shooters. Drive at a steady speed like 60 or 70 mph and note what your RPM's are then use the gear calculator it should give you a good idea of the rear end gear ratio......Enjoy!!
as he said his speedo is off so that won't work
he needs to get an xcal and find out what diff he has so he can correct it
Old 03-12-2007, 11:30 AM
TPony
6th Gear Member

Welcome to the stang fever..30 something? Try 40 something here....
Old 03-12-2007, 12:03 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: TPony

I hear TPony, I'm "up there" with ya!
Someone said on this forum they thought Ford should not have tried to "re-live" the past with the Mustang models now. I say phooey! When I was a kid growing up,all I could do was wish that I could drive! Now that they did come out with the Legend Lives Mustangseries, I am enjoying my youth all over again!
Old 03-12-2007, 12:09 PM
07GTEddy
3rd Gear Member

+1
Old 03-12-2007, 01:22 PM
mlcrycc
5th Gear Member

LOL.........Try 50 something..............[:'(][:'(]

Welcome, and congrats on the new ride!!!

Mike

Quick Reply: Found my new toy... and lost it.