Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Guages is it True

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 08:10 PM
Fourth Horseman
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Guages is it True

ORIGINAL: mtusrsmith
That would be a pressure switch. The oil pump has one, the cooling system doesn't...

If the engine temperature did have a 'switch', it would always point to the same place on the guage (like the oil pressure does). Don't be alarmed, Ford has been doing this on their oil pumps for years... Flame if you must, but of all the problems I've had with my Ford cars and trucks, oil systems haven't been to blame.
Yes, exactly. That's why I say it's on or off. It either registers pressure or it doesn't. I was not trying to evaluate the merit of Ford's decision to not put a real oil pressure gauge in their cars, simply trying to dispel the myth that the stock oil pressure gauge does anything but show if pressure exists or does not exist.

As to whether or not we need real working pressure gauges, that's debatable. Have I ever had a Ford engine suddenly and catastrophically lose pressure? Nope. That said I put a real working Autometer oil pressure sender and gauge in my Marauder and it's nice to be able to monitor it. I probably will not do the same for my Mustang, but you never know. I may get bored some Sunday afternoon.
Old 09-27-2007, 08:32 PM
sleeper2
3rd Gear Member

I was thinking about this gauge vs. idiot light topic during a long drive.

So is it true to say the temp gauge IS a real gauge, just with no numbers on it? Because it sure seems to be more than just an on/off idiot light, the way it behaves.

Sleeper2
Old 09-27-2007, 09:43 PM
06tyrfryr
2nd Gear Member

you will not build excess oil pressure on cold start up to 90 or 100 psi because your oil pump has a pressure relief valve. if not it would blow the seems apart on your oil filter. that is why your guage doesnt appear to vary. they are pumping enough volume and pressure to keep it maxed out even when the engine is warm
Old 09-27-2007, 09:47 PM
Burnsy
5th Gear Member

Old 09-27-2007, 11:23 PM
281GT
3rd Gear Member

I have a proper aftermarket oil pressure gauge in mine and it does read higher when cold and at higher rpms. The stock oil gauge is driven by a simple on/off switch that closes the contacts in the presence of "some" oil pressure. I know this to be fact because I checked using an ohm meter on the stock sender to learn this.
The stock oil gauge in these cars reads exactly the same as long as there is some oil pressure. It reads the same no matter if the pressure is 10 psi or 60 psi you get the same reading. This is why I installed an aftermarket gauge and coresponding sender that reads actual pressure.
It is true there is a pressue relief valve that will keep the oil pressure in the engine from exceeding a certain level but as long as the pressure is below that point it is not regulated.
The same goes for the stock temperature gauge. It reads the same regardless of temperature. You could be running 130 or 230 the stock gauge reads the same.
I also have an aftermarket guage for temperature and it also behaves much differently than the stock gauge. I can see my coolant fan cycle with it but I don't see that on the stock gauge.
As someone else idicated, the stock gauges are idiot guages only. They will only show different readings if parameters go beyond a certain range but as long as the pressure and temps are within that range you see exactly the same readings.
Old 09-28-2007, 04:52 AM
wmtheflash
3rd Gear Member

I installed an aftermarket oil pressure gauge a while back. I might have done temperature, too, but oil was easier in my opinion. The stock temperature gauge at least moves, the oil pressure gauge is really misleading. A performance car needs to have real working gauges. I guess I'm willing to forgive a fake spoiler, fake gas cap, and a grille with fake holes, but the instruments on the dash should reflect what is actually happening with the car.

Old 09-28-2007, 07:38 AM
Salas
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 281GT

I have a proper aftermarket oil pressure gauge in mine and it does read higher when cold and at higher rpms. The stock oil gauge is driven by a simple on/off switch that closes the contacts in the presence of "some" oil pressure. I know this to be fact because I checked using an ohm meter on the stock sender to learn this.
The stock oil gauge in these cars reads exactly the same as long as there is some oil pressure. It reads the same no matter if the pressure is 10 psi or 60 psi you get the same reading. This is why I installed an aftermarket gauge and coresponding sender that reads actual pressure.
It is true there is a pressue relief valve that will keep the oil pressure in the engine from exceeding a certain level but as long as the pressure is below that point it is not regulated.
The same goes for the stock temperature gauge. It reads the same regardless of temperature. You could be running 130 or 230 the stock gauge reads the same.
I also have an aftermarket guage for temperature and it also behaves much differently than the stock gauge. I can see my coolant fan cycle with it but I don't see that on the stock gauge.
As someone else idicated, the stock gauges are idiot guages only. They will only show different readings if parameters go beyond a certain range but as long as the pressure and temps are within that range you see exactly the same readings.

Totally agree. I see the same with my gauges.
Old 09-28-2007, 07:42 AM
MTAS
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Lees07GT

I would disagree. They are technically gauges no matter how they are marked. You may not be able to read a number, like 50 PSIG or 190 deg F, but you will have a sense of where the oil and water temps are running, i.e., a little below normal, normal, higher than normal, etc. An idiot light, on the other hand,will only indicate when the oil pressure drops very low or the coolant temp isexcessively high.
The stock oil "pressure" gauge is nothing more than a switch. If it detects anything more than 4-6PSI, it will read no different than if it detects 50PSI - USELESS. When I installed a real oil pressure gauge, I simply grounded the wire from the stock sending unit and the computer/factory "gauge" have never known the difference.
Old 09-28-2007, 09:05 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

My coolant temp guage follows what my DashHawk reports as ect-engine coolant temp.
The gas guage also reads correct, of course. I cant get it to show me oil pressure, maybe
because of the 5PSI and over switch that I read about forum members finding.
Old 09-28-2007, 09:23 AM
thewarmachine
5th Gear Member

I'm dissapointed that my stang doesn't have a window gauge to tell me exactly how much light is entering the cabin at any given time. All I know is that there is either some light or no light. I NEED to know the precise amount of light entering at all times, or I will die. [sm=icon_stickpoke.gif] I'm kidding. Just trying to provoke you guys a little.

Quick Reply: Guages is it True