Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lowering springs question

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 12:19 PM
unsocbl
3rd Gear Member

Default Lowering springs question

I ran a few searches and it seems it's possible to lower only the rear of the Mustang. I'd love to do this, but have a few questions if anyone is kind enough to respond:
1. Does anyone sell only the rear lowering springs? The ones I've found (eibach, steeda) are sold only in sets for the entire car.

2. If you lower only the rear of the car, do you still need to replace the other parts mentioned? (panhard bar, etc..)

3. Is this something that is fairly simple to do yourself? Assuming basic knowledge of tools and autos (this is a wrench, that's a bolt and it turns this way?) [sm=bounceybounce.gif]
Old 03-14-2007, 12:35 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Lowering springs question

1) Yes, Roush sells sets of just rears. Or, buy a whole set and put the fronts on Ebay.

2) If you lower the rear you don't have to change anything at the front (alignment, camber bolts). However, you still have to attend to the rear. You need adjustable LCAs (or UCA) and the panhard bar.

3) Yes, very simple. If you can turn a wrench you can do this. The only thing you will need that you may not is an angle gage to set your pinion angle after you install the springs. You can get this for $10 from Sears or many hardware stores.
Old 03-14-2007, 12:44 PM
aclass
3rd Gear Member

Just an fyi that might help you decide. Go to 4.6 Specific/Handling Performance and check out the sticky "Lowering your 05/06 Mustang". Stoenr and a couple of other guys have done exactly what your asking and they have what I think are some beneficial comments that merit consideration. Check'em out, I have since I'm interested in getting rid of the gap at the rear too.

Keep us posted.
Old 03-14-2007, 01:01 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Lowering just the rear works fine. I have done it on my personal car and several others.

I try to avoid that huge thread...there is a lot of good info in there, but there is a lot of misinformation too!
Old 03-14-2007, 02:18 PM
unsocbl
3rd Gear Member

Thanks for the info CrazyAl!! Sounds exactly like what I want, so I'll add it to the list, probablyright after I get the CAI installed!!
Old 03-14-2007, 05:20 PM
bodyputtyless
3rd Gear Member

This months edition of Mustang Monthly just arrived yesterday and they have a feature article on changing the rear springs. All they do is change the rear springs and the shock absorbers. Thats it. They also describe how to remove the springs. Simple procedure.