Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Performance Clutch: Recomendations

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 07:22 PM
gmascagni
1st Gear Member

Default Performance Clutch: Recomendations

Well,
I've gone ahead and fried my clutch well it's on it's way anyway. I think It might last another couple hundred miles if I dont get these 4bangers to stop teasing me on the free way. Not even 2K miles and it's starting to slip around 4k in fourth WOT. I guess the stock clutch wasnt designed to take 515wtq.

So I've seen many post about which is the best clutch Spec 3+ or Center Force Clutch but I need something that's going to feel as close to the stock clutch as possible. I share this car with my wife and I know she's not going to be very happy with a leg workout everytime she drives the car. Trust me it's in my best intrest to make the wife happy.

So which clutch feels like the stocker?
This is what I've come to understand from reading all the post on the subject.

The Specs chatter a little really needs to be broken in well to mostly eliminate the chatter. They are fearly stiff but engage well.

The Center Force engage really well but are even stiffer than the Specs.

Anyone try something that feels like the stock clutch but can hold 650 wtq that wont break the bank?[/align]
Old 03-14-2007, 09:04 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Performance Clutch: Recomendations

The stock clutch is only rated to 380 ft-lb!

Anyway, the Centerforce is certainly better than stock but it's not as strong a clutch as the Stage 3 or higher Specs. The Stage 3+ is very popular for guys with blown cars...but if you want something strong and stock pedal feel is very important, then get the Dual-Disc Spec with the organic facing material. Supposedly the pedal feel is just like stock...but it can hold 800 ft-lb! The only downside is that it's expensive. I belive McLeod makes one of these as well.
Old 03-14-2007, 09:07 PM
Arwing
5th Gear Member

you've been driving a turbo'd mustang on the stock clutch!? [sm=WTFsgign.gif]
Old 03-15-2007, 01:21 AM
gmascagni
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CrazyAl

The stock clutch is only rated to 380 ft-lb!

Anyway, the Centerforce is certainly better than stock but it's not as strong a clutch as the Stage 3 or higher Specs. The Stage 3+ is very popular for guys with blown cars...but if you want something strong and stock pedal feel is very important, then get the Dual-Disc Spec with the organic facing material. Supposedly the pedal feel is just like stock...but it can hold 800 ft-lb! The only downside is that it's expensive. I belive McLeod makes one of these as well.
Do you knowor have a link to this clutch?I checked the website http://www.specclutch.com/and I only saw diffrent stages. Which stage are you reffering to? My wife also drives the car and I know she's not going to drive it if the clutch is to heavy. She's used to an Acura Integra clutch which is very easy so a hard clutch is out ofthe question.

The stock clutch has held up pretty good considering I beat the crap out of it. It's only slipping at WOT in fourth but it's getting worse.
Old 03-15-2007, 03:11 AM
Fast Toys
Banned

We'd recommend the Spec line too. If you don't want chatter, go with a 2+. We have a 10 % off special for Mustang Forum members on right now too!