Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible problem with BMR LCA brackets

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 01:29 AM
TheDarkPath
3rd Gear Member

Default Possible problem with BMR LCA brackets

I just test fit the BMR LCAs to the BMR relocation brackets I have and there seems to be some problems. First of all, one of the brackets has a bend in it and I'd like to make sure this is how it's supposed to look. This is shown in the first 3 pictures.

The second problem is the spacers won't fit in either of the brackets. 1 of the brackets is no where close to fitting a spacer. That same bracket won't allow the end of the LCA to even come close to sliding in.

Can someone tell me if these need to be returned?

Bend:
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...alfi/bend1.jpg
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...alfi/bend2.jpg
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...alfi/bend3.jpg

Fitment:
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...malfi/fit1.jpg
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...malfi/fit2.jpg
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...alfi/fit1b.jpg

Old 03-15-2007, 02:10 AM
TheDarkPath
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Possible problem with BMR LCA brackets

Anyone??

I found some pictures that look like the bend is normal but the LCA won't fit in one of the brackets (it's not even close) and the spacers won't fit in either of the brakets. I'd just like to know if anyone else has experienced this.

Normally, i'd do what is needed to make everything fit but since this is suspension, I'm not going to make any adjustments myself. I don't want to make any adjustments the wrong way and cause vibration problems or worse, damage.
Old 03-15-2007, 02:13 AM
hottymustang
2nd Gear Member

Here is the stock phot from the BMR site, and it looks like that bend is supposed to be there. Without having them to look at, I honestly can't tell you why the bushing doens't fit into the bracket that it is obviously made for it.

Although, I am very interested to see what the explanation is for this thing, because I was going to order the same set up in a week.

**I just had a thought, are they side specific? I was sitting here looking at the photo, and both looked a bit different.....You probably already tried that, but it was worth a shot.
Old 03-15-2007, 02:21 AM
TheDarkPath
3rd Gear Member

The brackets do look side specific as they are different. The bend in the 1 bracket is normal from looking at a few pictures from BMR and a few other places. My main concern now is the fitment. I've tried both LCAs in both brackets and they both fit in 1 of the brackets but neither fit in the other. The bracket is too narrow to fit the LCA end. I might be able to force it in but i don't want to risk messing up the LCA bushing. Neither of the cylindrical spacers fit in either of the brackets. 1 of the brackets almost fits the spacer but the other is WAY too narrow to fit either spacer. I guess I'll email Brenspeed about them and see what they can do for me. I know there was a backorder on the BMR LCA relocation brackets and i believe they were drop shipped staight to me.
Old 03-15-2007, 02:26 AM
hottymustang
2nd Gear Member

Thats really strange, I haven't heard of a BMR product being like that before. But, as with any mass-made product, there are a few that come out bonkers.

The only other suggestion that I have would be to measure the opening there where you slide in the bushing. Maybe from the factory it got a little too bent inwards, and you can just bend it back out a little .
Old 03-15-2007, 02:35 AM
TheDarkPath
3rd Gear Member

I was thinking of bending it a little to see if I could make it fit but the 1 that won't fit the LCA, I'm not sure what side to bend out...eye-balling it, i can't tell if 1 side is bent in or not. That's the same bracket that is far from fitting the spacer. The other bracket, i'm confident a small bend to fit the spacer and it'll be good to go. I'll take some measurements and see what I come up with. I have the BMR swaybar delete/radiator support and it was perfect. I'm happy with the build quality of their stuff so far...i just think the brackets either got a little bent or didn't quite come out right. Wish i had my tools at my apt, they're all at my parents house since that's where i do my maintenance (more space to jack and work).
Old 03-15-2007, 08:26 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

well if the sleeve doesn't fit inbetween the bracket it's surely not going to fit between the stock opening where it's supposed to go. I'm sure the bend is supposed to be there, but the sleeves look way to long. I have the che brackets and they fit fine.

I'll take some pics of the che on the car. I'd like to know if the che's are a thicker metal or not, those bmrs look thin, but it could be the pics.
Old 03-15-2007, 10:40 AM
dly
1st Gear Member

I posted the same problem in the Suspension section last week. I have to grind off .050 from 1 of my LCA spacers (aluminum/ sphereial joints) on one side and both sleeves were to long. I just took a measurement and use my Chop saw to get the right size. I don't know the problems was but the are working out fine now.
Also I install LCA, UCA, Barhard bar, and Sway bar at the same time. Every single item needed some sort of work done to it. Like cleaning the powercoat off the threads so the adjustment would work, cleaning out holes so the bolts would go though, cuy and grinding to make things fit right. It all just adds up to next time when you think the install will go right finally.

dly 07 Black GT/CS
Old 03-15-2007, 11:48 AM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

There is nothing wrong with your brackets.

The bends are normal. The bends allow the "back part" of the brackets to align properly with where you are attaching them on the axle. You will see once you get under the car.

The "fitment" is also normal for the LCA ends. The polyurethane bushing must be compressed when they are installed...they must bea tight fit otherwise there will be play in the suspension. This is the norm for ANY poly bushing on any vehicle. Also keep in mind that the LCA brackets will "open up" a little bit when you install them on the car. They are also a tight fit over the axle tab where they fit.

The spacer tubes do appear to be too long..by quite a bit--perhaps a half inch or more. The spacers are meant to fit inside the OEM axle bracket, which is even narrower than the BMR bracket where you are holding them. (Again, this will be clear when you actually get under the car). It looks like you will have to cut down the tubes.

This is a bit odd....a couple people had to do something similar recently. But in all the BMR brackets I've done, the spacers were the correct length right out of the box? Maybe they had a production screwup? I would call BMR rather than Brenspeed. Not that Brent isn't helpful...but he didn't make the product, what can he do for you? Talk to BMR directly. They have stellar customer service as well.
Old 03-15-2007, 02:37 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CrazyAl

I would call BMR rather than Brenspeed. Not that Brent isn't helpful...but he didn't make the product, what can he do for you? Talk to BMR directly. They have stellar customer service as well.
Yep. Call BMR or email them and send the pics. they will ship you out some new spacers. I have 3 extra spacers for their panhard bar if anyone needs one.

Quick Reply: Possible problem with BMR LCA brackets