Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DEAD BATTERY!?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 07:40 PM
cryptic26djp
4th Gear Member

Default RE: DEAD BATTERY!?

So I have spent the last 2 hours reading different forums, google blogs, etc - trying to determine what the heck the PROBLEM is. I know how to temporarily fix it and buying a charger is just rediculous and I cant believe people are actually posting that as a SOLUTION to this issue. Ummmm, hello....these are brand new cars - not some 1970 Ford p/u sitting on blocks in the back yard (no offense to the rednecks kidding guys!)

I found this post on our forum from a few days ago: (any experts out there wanna chime in on this one now?)

Ford said it was a faulty battery and replaced it. The problem was not the battery.
The car finally went into a service facility in Toronto and they identified the problem. The problem is the relay which powers the GT fog lights. This is a live relay and has a small but constant electrical drain. Under normal circumstances where the car is driven daily it is not a problem, but when it is parked for a long time it definitely is.
The original relay was not faulty – it was designed to be powered all the time – Ford engineers apparently overlooked the fact that some cars are driven so infrequently or for such short distances that the battery never gets fully charged and the small drain is more than the battery can handle.
In this case, the repair shop changed out the relay and went to a different type of relay. If anyone out there is experiencing the same problem, contact Yorkdale Ford, Att: Jack Iaboni, Service Manager fax no. (416) 787-3964. I am sure he will tell you the part number of the replacement fog light relay. This relay is only powered when the ignition is "on" and does not drain the battery down when the ignition is "off."

thanks for posting that Ericksonlaw
Old 03-17-2007, 07:54 PM
Black GT
4th Gear Member

I also have the dead battery problem. It was fine for quite a while, then Friday when I opened the door no dome lights and no power. Its been parked in a heated garage all winter. I don't have the Shaker radio, so that isn't an issue. It might be something like that relay.
Old 03-18-2007, 01:28 AM
cryptic26djp
4th Gear Member

anyone know an alternatepart number for the fog light relay?
i was online a few hours ago and actually found a similar post stating something about the fog lights causing the battery issue. i didnt have time to cut and paste or save the link....sorry.

anyone that has swapped out their shaker for an aftermarket radio....you run across any dead batteries since the swap?
Old 05-22-2007, 03:09 AM
mustangkimmy

Seriously.....I love my Mustang but what in the hell is with the dead battery happening? I have had it happen twice and I bought my '06 baby a year ago. Once it happened while sitting in the garage for 5 days, unlocked with the keys in the ignition. Second time it was sitting for 7 days locked and armed and it was dead. Jumped it both times and got it started, but honestly with a new car this is unreasonable.

Dealership idiots told me that it was the clock or maybe the computer system draining it. They told me it is expected on this car and I just have to deal with it. I don't think so.

I had the started and alternator checked and they are both perfect. The cables were checked for a drain and IT DRAINS! Why? And why didn't they tell me this was expected when I bought it?

Any suggestions gentlemen?
Old 05-22-2007, 04:17 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

You can get the battery tested and replaced at your nearest Ford dealer than have that one die on you as well a short while later......or you can get a battery tender and be done withit and it charges the battery and keeps it at a good level and I have not had problems since. I am testingthe battery to see if it discharges this week. I drove it this past Saturday and parked it since anddid not hook up the charger like I have been so come thisFriday I will start the car and change the oil and go from there. If it doesn't start I am taking the battery out and throwingit thru the dealer's front showroom window. If it does than that reassures me that buying a 35 dollar charger was worth it since december of 06. JMO Later J- I posted the dead battery thread back in November oflast year and my car now has 2000 miles and a year old this past March!
Old 05-22-2007, 09:07 AM
TPony
6th Gear Member

Well, the first time I was gone for awhile, actually about 7 days, the battery was dead. Came home, re-charged it, then later on was out for 14 days, came back and the battery was up and runnig. First time, I think I left the radion on, which seems to be a problem. Second, time I was 100% sure nothing was left on...and it worked.
Old 05-22-2007, 10:43 AM
ZZLEGEND
3rd Gear Member

should not have to leave a battery tender on a brand new car. some thing aint right. i always turn my radio off since i have been reading this forum. car sits 2 weeks some times, with no problem starting it. but still that dont make it right. should not have to turn the radio off either. ford has a problem here somewhere.
Old 05-22-2007, 01:21 PM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

Has anyone considered disconnecting the battery for a long term storage solution?
Old 08-27-2007, 10:42 PM
eq_alias

Mine died but it was a little different. I noticed earlier in the day that it took a fraction of a second to start the car when I turned the key but ti didnt seem to be getting any worse. Then when I got out of work I pulled ito the driveway, ran in and grabbed a book, came out a minute later and *click*click*click* dead. I popped the top off the batter and filled it back up with about 22 oz.s of water and jumped it and it started, but never held a charge. After Autozone found it to be bad I just bought a new one. No problems since.
Old 08-27-2007, 11:22 PM
Ford_Dude
5th Gear Member

07SCGT found the optima battery of the right size
I'm thinking of before ever having the problem getting the following(MSD 160A alternator, Optima Red, and I might consider that relay)
I think if all this is done it should prevent any batt problem

Quick Reply: DEAD BATTERY!?