Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New HID's Flashing when engine running

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 10:55 PM
OZ_Tambo
1st Gear Member

Default New HID's Flashing when engine running

My wife bought me a set of HID’s from eBay for Xmas,(Dual Beam 6K white series) These go on my 2006 Mustang with the pony pack I had to send them back twice as they where wrong but I finally got them installed and everything works perfectly until the car is started. Once the engine is running the flash like a RAVE in London.

Personally I think the KIT is CR%P but she spent $250 on it. I have the Power Source wired directly to the battery, 15AMP Fuse inline (is that enough) this connects to a relay 40AMP (when the engine is running the relay starts buzzing like Mosquitoes in Minnesota in July) the relay connects a switch wire to old head light socket. and each headlight as a ballast which seems fine.

Does anybody know if this should work?
Should I throw the kit away and start again?
Is there some kind on line suppressor that I should use?
Should I connect it to the fuse box instead of the battery? If so where?

Any idea's would be great, I am about to have an epileptic fit due to all the flashing going on in my garage. It is not the good flashing….

p.s. If any body is having a disco for St Patty's day in So Cal and needs disco lighting....call me for a tank of gas I will bring my car over and make a party. Thanks

***Updated Sunday afternoon***
after three installations, I have given up and ordered a new set.... If I can not get a refund on these you will see a slightly used set of Mustang Disco HID's will be on eBay for 99cents come Tuesday.... They are cool if ya want to imitate be a COP

Thank you again for all the help, the new relay and Fuses did not help, even tried setting them up on a Toyota same problem... they R SH&T

Update April
classj gave me some info to stop the flashing. If anybody else has the trouble.
Here is the fix. I got from the dealer... Just before I gave him 6 F words in under 30 seconds...
Buy one 56Ohm Resistor 1 Watt and one 40 MFD Capacitor 150 Volt and connect as like in the picture. Some American cars turn from Ac to DC when you start the car. Also you can put a power stableizer in to stablize the power.

Read down the post and just buy the exact ones. www.stangmods.com

[IMG]local://upfiles/63883/28FD1046DC0446B88F0CEDD7C79100F6.jpg[/IMG]
Old 03-17-2007, 11:33 PM
probinator
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: New HID's Flashing when engine running

thats sucks bro. I have no idea, not really electrical smart, but I heard something about a relay you need with the kits but I see u mentioned one. there is a post about a guy installing a HID kit from stangmods, hit him up and see if he can help, if worst comes to worst, send it back and get a kit from stang mods.
Old 03-18-2007, 01:22 AM
Drivesthebeast
2nd Gear Member

You don't connect the HID's transformers to the battery directly...you connect them to the fuse box...

As someone mentioned, there are others that used the Stangmods HID kits recently, and had great success..should consult them as to how they connected theirs...

L8tz
Old 03-18-2007, 01:52 AM
ohfiveride
2nd Gear Member

hey...im the guy with the HID's from stangmods......alot of the kits dont come with the upgraded relay.....stangmods supplies it for free....i dont know the difference between the 2 but my set up went like this...there were 2 ballasts (one for each headlamp).....the relay had the power o-ring that connected to the screw in the fuse box.......then the relay connected to each of the ballasts and the final step was to connect 2 wires from the relay to 2 of the wires in the pass side headlight harness (the green and white wire) and the black ground....also there is a ground for each ballast....if you need more help PM me
Old 03-18-2007, 02:34 AM
OZ_Tambo
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the help; I tired to connect it to the Power Screwin the fuse box to no luck.

Thank you for sending the link your forum, for some reason the search was not working earlier.

I think in the morning I will strip it all down and check the earths and try it out again.

It sounds like the kit is similar, just mine is a P O S.... If it does not work I think I will get Stangmods and just write off the other one. The do look great when they are working.
Old 03-18-2007, 03:04 AM
AmericanMuscle4.6GT
5th Gear Member

check to see if the bulbs are screwed in all the way? are they loose in the fixture?
Old 03-18-2007, 08:08 AM
ANBAUTO
4th Gear Member

Yes you need a relay that you can pick up from any local parts store.
Old 03-18-2007, 12:33 PM
oaussieo

G'day M8
I added HID's to my 2006, and had the same issue, I found out that the Low bean is dirty power (AC) and I insalle the lights to the High beam no more flashing, if this is a Bi-Xenon you should look at getting the upgraded relay, I am also looking for the relay, but if they are not, connect to high beam they will work fine...

Hope this helps

Ken (Aussie)
Old 03-18-2007, 01:57 PM
Speedyejl
2nd Gear Member

Explain what is AC is the car? Didn't follow sounds intresting

I think if you upgraded the relay and fuse that should eliminate your issuses. Also first figure out if the HID kit is good. Hook them up temp to the battery directly, no relay, no fuse. If they work fine then get a good Bosch 30amp relay and fuse and call it day
Old 03-18-2007, 02:12 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ohfiveride

hey...im the guy with the HID's from stangmods......alot of the kits dont come with the upgraded relay.....stangmods supplies it for free....i dont know the difference between the 2 but my set up went like this...there were 2 ballasts (one for each headlamp).....the relay had the power o-ring that connected to the screw in the fuse box.......then the relay connected to each of the ballasts and the final step was to connect 2 wires from the relay to 2 of the wires in the pass side headlight harness (the green and white wire) and the black ground....also there is a ground for each ballast....if you need more help PM me

Hey ohfiveride,
Are the install instructions from Stangmods pretty good? I'd like to get the 4300 Bixenon kit. Is it all in the instructions? Thanks.

Quick Reply: New HID's Flashing when engine running