Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

window tint ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 11:18 AM
Razorbackfan
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: window tint ?

Maybe this will help:

Example

4 inches / 35 % Film / 15 % Net / 5 % Net / 1994

A tint brow on the windshield cannot go no lower than 4 inches, 35% film may be applied to the front side windows, 15% light must go through the combined window film and windows for the rear side windows and 5 % light transmission is required on the rear back window and film combined. The year 1994 is the year that the law went into effect.
[hr]

Alabama
6 inches / 35% Film / 35% Film / 35% Film / 1996

Note : MPV Vehicles are exempt behind the front side doors.

Alaska
5 inches / NO / 40% Net / 40% Net / 1994

Note : MPV Vehicles can have any degree of tinting behind the front side doors so long as they comply with FMVSS 205. Mirrored tint is prohibited.

Enforcement Note : Tint regulation does apply to non-Alaska registered vehicles. State Troopers write fix-it tickets which requires "repair" within 5 days and the City of Anchorage will write $150 tickets for the violation.

Arizona
UnDef / 35% Film / ANY / ANY / 198?

Arkansas
UnDef / 25% Net / 25% Net / 10% Net / 1994

Note : MPV's are allowed 10% Net tint on rear side windows

Enforcement Note : Tint law applies only to AR registered vehicles and vehicles from other states that have NO tint law which is now moot since all 50 states have some type of tint law with Wyoming being the last to pass a tint law.

California
NO / NO / ANY / ANY* / 1987 ?

Note : If the rear-back window is tinted, left and right rear-view mirrors are required.

Medical exemption allows for tint or other shading material is allowed on the front side doors if it allows at least 35% of the light to go through, readily is removable and cannot be used at night.

Enforcement Note : Out-of-State cars driven in California are required to be in compliance with the CA Tint law.

Colorado
2 Phase Law:
4 inches or AS-1 / NO / ANY / ANY / 1989
4 inches or AS-1 / 27% Net / 27% Net / 27% Net / 1989

Note : No mirrored tint is allowed.

Enforcement Note : The fine for being in violation is $50 and the driver is not usually required to fix the windows. Tint shops are not allowed to tint cars beyond state law. State patrol carries light meters along with some local towns but they don't worry about window tinting unless it is very dark such as limo tint (5%).

Connecticut
Complex / 35% Net / 35% Net / 35% Net / 1995

Note : MPV Vehicle windows behind the front side doors are exempt so long as they meet FMVSS 205. The Windshield can have a tint strip at the top. The amount is determined by a complex formula as defined in Sec 14-99g, Subsection C, part 11 as written by an East Coast lawyer.

Delaware
AS-1 / NO / ANY / ANY / 199?

District of Columbia
NO / NO / 50% Net / 50% Net / 1994

Enforcement Note : Can apply to out-of-state motorist, no out-of-state exemption defined in statute.

Florida
AS-1 / 28% Net / 15% Net / 15% Net / 198?

Note : MPV Vehicles windows behind the front side doors must allow for 6 % Net light transmission.

Enforcement Note : Law enforced by the use of light meters and can apply to out-of-state motorist.

Georgia
NO / 32% Net / 32% Net / 32% Net / 2005

Note : New law went into effect that can be enforced on out of state vehicles as well as Georgia registered vehicles. Penalty is up to $1000 and/or 12 months in jail as a misdemeanor.

On Jun 8, 2004, the Georgia Surpreme Court threw out GA's tint law since it discriminated against GA residents by not applying to non-residents. Look for the non-resident exemption to be repealed next year which would reinstate the tint law.

This can have ramifications for other states who exempt non-residents from their tint laws. Legislation was sponsored in the 2004 session to remove the non-resident exemption but failed to pass.

Guam
ANY / ANY / ANY / ANY / 1978/9

Note : It was illegal to have tint but the tint law was declared unconstitutional as noted in the court decision part.

Hawaii
NO / 35% Net / 35% Net / 35% Net / 198x

Enforcement Note : Illegal tint on cars can be a reason to be failed in the state safety inspection.

Idaho
AS-1 / 35% Film / ANY / 35% Film / 1993

Note : Mirrored tint is illegal. Medical exemption ia available. Cars with window tint that are considered illegal can apply for a waiver between June 30, 1992 and Jan 1, 1993.

Illinois
NO / NO / ANY / ANY* / 1984 ?

Note : If window tint is applied to the rear-back window, a right and left rear-view mirrors are required. Cars before 1982 model year are exempt from IL tint law.

Indiana
30% Film / 30% Film / ANY / 30% Film / 1995

Note : Darker tint is allowed for medical reason only as attested to by medical doctor or eye doctor.

Enforcement Note : Out-of-state motorist can be ticketed for being in violation of IN tint law but are usually left alone. Law enforcement usually enforces the tint law on the front side windows. Most law enforcement do not know that the rear-back window is included in the law. Some local towns will fine motorist $200 for violation as well as requiring them to fix it.

[b]Legislation: HB1282 which will basically outlaw window tint. It would ban any tint that would go beyond Federal Standards which is 70% visible light transmission. Violation would fall under an enhanced penalty of a Class B infraction which has a max fine of $1000.

Iowa
AS-1 / NO / ANY / ANY / Unknown

Note : A pending bill in the legislature would mandate light transmission on all windows of at least 70% (Basically no aftermarket tint allowed). Puts the federal window tint regulation into state law.

Enforcement Note : Iowa is spotty on enforcement but can enforce the law against out-of-state motorist such as writing a fix-it ticket.

Kansas
AS-1 / 35% Net / 35% Net / 35% Net / 1987

Kentucky
AS-1 / 35% Film / 18% Film / 18% Film / 1988

Note : MPV Vehicles can have 8% Film behind the front side doors.

Louisiana
AS-1 / 40% Net / 25% Net / 12% Net / 199x

Maine
Old 03-21-2007, 11:59 AM
northy_polk
3rd Gear Member

Thanks for that. Maybe I'll just not tint my freakin' windows after all.

BTW: from all I've heard, you MUST MUST MUST use moleskin or something like it between the window and factory [POS] window wipes or you WILL have scratches on your brand newtinted windows!!!! Here's a link that explains [warning: it's an acura site: http://www.acuraworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53336]
Old 03-21-2007, 03:18 PM
raubt
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: northy_polk

Thanks for that. Maybe I'll just not tint my freakin' windows after all.

BTW: from all I've heard, you MUST MUST MUST use moleskin or something like it between the window and factory [POS] window wipes or you WILL have scratches on your brand newtinted windows!!!! Here's a link that explains [warning: it's an acura site: http://www.acuraworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53336]
Pfft, just go for it. You might get a few little tickets over time, but tint will look good, so who cares. And generally speaking, most cops won't pick you out just to ticket you for tint, but rather will add it on if you got caught speeding or stunting or whatever and are being lippy with them. There are always exceptions, of course, but usually you don't get ticketed for tint alone. Ditto for aftermarket exhaust.

As for the moleskin, you don't have to -- there are people on here with tinted windows without moleskin and no scratches -- but it is recommended, and you can either do it yourself pretty easily, or have the tint shop install it. One local place I phoned said the Mustang's windows had to have moleskin installed (by me or them) or they wouldn't tint them at all, I guess just as a warrenty issue or whatever.
Old 05-22-2007, 04:55 AM
Sirsilent
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Playboy06

ORIGINAL: Orion_240

If you want to see the factory tint just roll down the windows 1/2 way! Or, even better, wear a pair of sunglasses that are polarized. You'll see the tint all broken up. Hopefully tinting over that will help. I did 35% and it's pretty good while still street legal in Calif.
Wrong. 0% is legal in Calif.

I know this because I have an outstanding $112.50 Ticket as of right a few days ago. Though I do have 5% - I went straight to the court and talked to the clerk, as well as three police officers informing me that California does notallow ANY tint of the passenger/driver side windows.
Do you have to fix it or just pay the 112.50 ?
Old 05-22-2007, 06:32 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Thanks you just helped everyone in th U.S. ...LOL! [quote]ORIGINAL: Razorbackfan

Maybe this will help:

Example

4 inches / 35 % Film / 15 % Net / 5 % Net / 1994

A tint brow on the windshield cannot go no lower than 4 inches, 35% film may be applied to the front side windows, 15% light must go through the combined window film and windows for the rear side windows and 5 % light transmission is required on the rear back window and film combined. The year 1994 is the year that the law went into effect.

[hr]

Alabama
6 inches / 35% Film / 35% Film / 35% Film / 1996

Note : MPV Vehicles are exempt behind the front side doors.

Alaska
5 inches / NO / 40% Net / 40% Net / 1994

Note : MPV Vehicles can have any degree of tinting behind the front side doors so long as they comply with FMVSS 205. Mirrored tint is prohibited.

Enforcement Note : Tint regulation does apply to non-Alaska registered vehicles. State Troopers write fix-it tickets which requires "repair" within 5 days and the City of Anchorage will write $150 tickets for the violation.

Arizona
UnDef / 35% Film / ANY / ANY / 198?

Arkansas
UnDef / 25% Net / 25% Net / 10% Net / 1994

Note : MPV's are allowed 10% Net tint on rear side windows

Enforcement Note : Tint law applies only to AR registered vehicles and vehicles from other states that have NO tint law which is now moot since all 50 states have some type of tint law with Wyoming being the last to pass a tint law.

California
NO / NO / ANY / ANY* / 1987 ?

Note : If the rear-back window is tinted, left and right rear-view mirrors are required.

Medical exemption allows for tint or other shading material is allowed on the front side doors if it allows at least 35% of the light to go through, readily is removable and cannot be used at night.

Enforcement Note : Out-of-State cars driven in California are required to be in compliance with the CA Tint law.

Colorado
2 Phase Law:
4 inches or AS-1 / NO / ANY / ANY / 1989
4 inches or AS-1 / 27% Net / 27% Net / 27% Net / 1989

Note : No mirrored tint is allowed.

Enforcement Note : The fine for being in violation is $50 and the driver is not usually required to fix the windows. Tint shops are not allowed to tint cars beyond state law. State patrol carries light meters along with some local towns but they don't worry about window tinting unless it is very dark such as limo tint (5%).

Connecticut
Complex / 35% Net / 35% Net / 35% Net / 1995

Note : MPV Vehicle windows behind the front side doors are exempt so long as they meet FMVSS 205. The Windshield can have a tint strip at the top. The amount is determined by a complex formula as defined in Sec 14-99g, Subsection C, part 11 as written by an East Coast lawyer.

Delaware
AS-1 / NO / ANY / ANY / 199?

District of Columbia
NO / NO / 50% Net / 50% Net / 1994

Enforcement Note : Can apply to out-of-state motorist, no out-of-state exemption defined in statute.

Florida
AS-1 / 28% Net / 15% Net / 15% Net / 198?

Note : MPV Vehicles windows behind the front side doors must allow for 6 % Net light transmission.

Enforcement Note : Law enforced by the use of light meters and can apply to out-of-state motorist.

Georgia
NO / 32% Net / 32% Net / 32% Net / 2005

Note : New law went into effect that can be enforced on out of state vehicles as well as Georgia registered vehicles. Penalty is up to $1000 and/or 12 months in jail as a misdemeanor.

On Jun 8, 2004, the Georgia Surpreme Court threw out GA's tint law since it discriminated against GA residents by not applying to non-residents. Look for the non-resident exemption to be repealed next year which would reinstate the tint law.

This can have ramifications for other states who exempt non-residents from their tint laws. Legislation was sponsored in the 2004 session to remove the non-resident exemption but failed to pass.

Guam
ANY / ANY / ANY / ANY / 1978/9

Note : It was illegal to have tint but the tint law was declared unconstitutional as noted in the court decision part.

Hawaii
NO / 35% Net / 35% Net / 35% Net / 198x

Enforcement Note : Illegal tint on cars can be a reason to be failed in the state safety inspection.

Idaho
AS-1 / 35% Film / ANY / 35% Film / 1993

Note : Mirrored tint is illegal. Medical exemption ia available. Cars with window tint that are considered illegal can apply for a waiver between June 30, 1992 and Jan 1, 1993.

Illinois
NO / NO / ANY / ANY* / 1984 ?

Note : If window tint is applied to the rear-back window, a right and left rear-view mirrors are required. Cars before 1982 model year are exempt from IL tint law.

Indiana
30% Film / 30% Film / ANY / 30% Film / 1995

Note : Darker tint is allowed for medical reason only as attested to by medical doctor or eye doctor.

Enforcement Note : Out-of-state motorist can be ticketed for being in violation of IN tint law but are usually left alone. Law enforcement usually enforces the tint law on the front side windows. Most law enforcement do not know that the rear-back window is included in the law. Some local towns will fine motorist $200 for violation as well as requiring them to fix it.

[b]Legislation: HB1282 which will basically outlaw window tint. It would ban any tint that would go beyond Federal Standards which is 70% visible light transmission. Violation would fall under an enhanced penalty of a Class B infraction which has a max fine of $1000.

Iowa
AS-1 / NO / ANY / ANY / Unknown

Note : A pending bill in the legislature would mandate light transmission on all windows of at least 70% (Basically no aftermarket tint allowed). Puts the federal window tint regulation into state law.

Enforcement Note : Iowa is spotty on enforcement but can enforce the law against out-of-state motorist such as writing a fix-it ticket.

Kansas
AS-1 / 35% Net / 35% Net / 35% Net / 1987

Kentucky
AS-1 / 35% Film / 18% Film / 18% Film / 1988

Note : MPV Vehicles can have 8% Film behind the front side doors.

Louisiana
AS-1 / 40% Net / 25% Net / 12% Net /
Old 05-22-2007, 05:38 PM
IcemanBlackGT
1st Gear Member

i have 20% and i like it alot, i just don't want to get caught ridin dirty haha
Old 05-22-2007, 05:44 PM
TNstang06
2nd Gear Member

I have 20 but I want to go darker... and I am going to get a sunstrip
Old 05-22-2007, 05:47 PM
IcemanBlackGT
1st Gear Member

yea i already have a sun strip way past the legal line, and i would go darker but i'm already illegal with the 20, anything darker than 20 IMO is just asking to get pulled over plus, with my louvers on i can barley see anything at night backing up i have to put my window down.
Old 05-22-2007, 05:49 PM
tientran
2nd Gear Member

In CA, We can tint any dark, any where except the 2 front windows and front windshield.
Old 05-22-2007, 06:03 PM
yzfmik
2nd Gear Member

That is a stupid law. NO tint! Just like Florida, it's hot as hell, I couldn't deal with no tint at all.

Quick Reply: window tint ?