Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some ideas

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 01:20 PM
Jujudoll

Default Need some ideas

I have had my '05 GT for about 8 months now. Everything on it is stock besides my front bumper. My husband wrecked it a few months ago, and we replaced it with the Eleanor bumper. I plan to slowly do some upgrades to it, just like everyone else here. I'm curious what I need to do first as far as performance goes. Like I said it will bea slow process but will eventually get where I want to be. Would the first thing be an intake & a tuner? Exhaust? Please let me know. I'm at a learning process now that I have this car. I've been around my husband & his friends a lot and never really listened to much of what they said about cars before, but now I sure do. Again, Anyone's help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-22-2007, 01:28 PM
hogpowr
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Need some ideas

I went with the Tuneable Induction intake/SCT Xcalibrator 2 combo from brenspeed.com, they have great customer service. I also got the pypes offroad h-pipe, it is worth about 10 hp and it makes the exhaust sound more aggressive.

Happy Moding.
Old 03-22-2007, 02:25 PM
wingman75
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Jujudoll
I have had my '05 GT for about 8 months now. Everything on it is stock besides my front bumper. My husband wrecked it a few months ago, and we replaced it with the Eleanor bumper. I plan to slowly do some upgrades to it, just like everyone else here. I'm curious what I need to do first as far as performance goes. Like I said it will be a slow process but will eventually get where I want to be. Would the first thing be an intake & a tuner? Exhaust? Please let me know. I'm at a learning process now that I have this car. I've been around my husband & his friends a lot and never really listened to much of what they said about cars before, but now I sure do. Again, Anyone's help would be greatly appreciated.
CAI and tuner would be first. Then change out your gears to 3.73 for auto trans or 4.10 for stick trans. Underdrive pulleys then an aluminum driveshaft. I would consider these mods the most meaningful and productive. According to several experts i've talked to the only reason to go with a performance exhaust is for the sound. The factory exhaust is quite good as it is.

These are the performance mods I will be going with. So far I only have a Granatelli CAI system, without tune, and it has given my car a very noticable acceleration improvement and throatier exhaust sound.
Old 03-22-2007, 02:39 PM
05 Mustang GT
2nd Gear Member

All good advice, CAI and tune, pulleys, exhaust, exterior dress ups, new tires, wheels. Have fun with it. If you are like me I have to plan $$$ for different mods, I am also getting there slowly but surely.
Old 03-22-2007, 03:36 PM
Bluestar
5th Gear Member

CAI and tune should be your first order of business. WARNING!!!!.....It won't stop there.
Old 03-22-2007, 03:48 PM
Jujudoll

I know it won't stop. I just wanted to see where I needed to start. What brands do you suggest?
Old 03-22-2007, 03:53 PM
Hufenstang
4th Gear Member

c&l and jlt2 are both nice, i have used both. i got about 3 more hp out of my jlt2 but the c&l looks nicer..
Old 03-22-2007, 04:01 PM
sandy
2nd Gear Member

We'll each probably advise you on what we have! Get the Granatelli CAI first (no tune required, so you can slip it off for warranty work-super bump in performance). Then get you some GTA mufflers; these are what Shelby and Foose use on their cars, great (not too loud sound), all stainless, cheap (from nanosport), beautiful flaired tips. I ordered chrome 9" deepdish wheels (cobra r, with rivets, chrome) from OEM wheels (on ebay), use the stock tires on them. Then of course do the eibach prokit springs with tokico adjustable struts. Then STOP.
Old 03-22-2007, 04:16 PM
Jays Mustang
3rd Gear Member

I did an exterior dress up first. Next month is an exhaust. Want better sound. Wheel/tires down the road. Eventually underhood items. But if you really want performance upgrades first just watch your husbands driving. It might need more bumpers.
Old 03-22-2007, 04:27 PM
DeStonn
4th Gear Member

A CAI+Tune, gears are also a great upgrade. Before you change the gears out see if there is a way to test drive a car with 4:10's and 1 with 3:73's. 4:10's are great for acceleration but are harder to drive in bumper to bumper traffic.

Good luck and welcome to the club

Quick Reply: Need some ideas