Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I need Car Show Pointers

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 01:02 AM
gmascagni
1st Gear Member

Default I need Car Show Pointers

I was thinking of entering my car. In a local car show. But it would be my first one and not sure what to do? Any pointers or suggestions? Do I need a framed banner? If so what needs to be on it? Any ideas or suggestions would be great.
Old 03-23-2007, 01:22 AM
MilehighGT
1st Gear Member

Default RE: I need Car Show Pointers

Detail everything. You don't need a framed banner, but I would have some sheets typed up with all your mods and maybe a copy of your dyno sheets. I have not had my mustang in a show, but I do have two other cars that I show. Look at the cars that win and get details and pay attention of why they won and what you need to do better to win next time. I don't know if you have anything besides performance mods, but if you want to win, be prepared to do things to your car to win you may not like. It's what the judges like. If you don't care about winning, do your car how you like and show it proud!!
Old 03-23-2007, 01:27 AM
AmericanMuscle4.6GT
5th Gear Member

what kind of car show? like a contest, or just to show off?
Old 03-23-2007, 01:55 AM
gmascagni
1st Gear Member

It would be a formal car show like a contest. Something where they would award you for winning.
ORIGINAL: AmericanMuscle4.6GT

what kind of car show? like a contest, or just to show off?
Old 03-23-2007, 07:11 AM
Jays Mustang
3rd Gear Member

I've been in the car show curcuit for about 20 years. Detail, Detail, Detail. is what wins. Do a great wax job, clean up the excess by lights etc. Wheels & tires. Westley's bleachwhite to clean then a shine like Mequires. Do up the interior. Clean, not nessesary to shine. Underhood is very important. You'll laugh at how many people skip this. Clean and wax/shine the painted areas, Armoral the hoses, plastic etc. Take your time and have fun. Get some quick detail spray like Mequires to touch up at the show. Don't forget the glass. Being you first show you'll start to learn alot. If it's a Top 50 type show expect all the street rods to win, maybe a couple musclecars and antiques. If it's a show with classes you'll have a better chance. If with judges they can get picky, but when participants do judging is cool because they know the effort you put into it and don't just vote for who has the most money in it. Car show people are fun so have a good time. Don't forget to clean the trunk and wax the underside of the lid.
Old 03-23-2007, 12:03 PM
miltoneagle
1st Gear Member

I have a 70' Chevelle SS and when we go show that the details are the key. Since the car is old we put the orignal build sheet on the front dash. Just make sure everything POPS. Roll the windows dow, open up the trunk and let your car do the rest. Displaying banners, trophies and all that other stuff isnt needed. If your car kicks *** then you dont have to worry about anything.

P.S (Bring coolers, lawnchairs, umbrellas, and a radio.)
Old 03-23-2007, 01:07 PM
lloydrage

ORIGINAL: Jays Mustang

I've been in the car show curcuit for about 20 years. Detail, Detail, Detail. is what wins. Do a great wax job, clean up the excess by lights etc. Wheels & tires. Westley's bleachwhite to clean then a shine like Mequires. Do up the interior. Clean, not nessesary to shine. Underhood is very important. You'll laugh at how many people skip this. Clean and wax/shine the painted areas, Armoral the hoses, plastic etc. Take your time and have fun. Get some quick detail spray like Mequires to touch up at the show. Don't forget the glass. Being you first show you'll start to learn alot. If it's a Top 50 type show expect all the street rods to win, maybe a couple musclecars and antiques. If it's a show with classes you'll have a better chance. If with judges they can get picky, but when participants do judging is cool because they know the effort you put into it and don't just vote for who has the most money in it. Car show people are fun so have a good time. Don't forget to clean the trunk and wax the underside of the lid.
lots of good info
Old 03-23-2007, 01:16 PM
06GT4RAD
5th Gear Member

Some very good info here already on detailing and such so I will leave that out. However I would like to pass on what i think is the best info of all. Do Not enter the show just to try and Win. Enter to go and enjoy the cars and the Scenery and have a great time. Like someone said you cannot determine what the judges like it is just like all of us with modding some thing we like other we do not and the judges are no different. Next never do anything to your car simply to win do what you like and how you want your car to be.

Richard
Old 03-23-2007, 02:25 PM
05 Mustang GT
2nd Gear Member

Lots of good info above. I entered my Mustang in my first show last summer. Detail, detail, detail. I also made up a BIO sheet about the car, make, model, owner, mods, planned mods, etc. put it in a frame. I was surrounded by really nice old mustangs, but there was a lot of interest in my car.

This show is where I found out about the value of a "California" duster, never thought I would buy one??? Great tool, also bring your cleaning supplies, I found out you can clean just about anything with glass cleaner. Throw some cleaner in the trunk along with paper towels or micro fiber towels, never know when you have to do a quick detail. Good luck and have fun.
Old 03-23-2007, 08:36 PM
Sprzout
4th Gear Member

I was in a domestic/Import tuner show several years back with a Saturn that I'd modded, and the focus with that was more on stereos, mods, wheels, and fancy paint schemes. It seemed that the guys who had all of the billet chrome polished to a complete mirror finish, the paint jobs that were polished to a mirror finish (and no "spiderwebs"!) and true "custom" work were the ones who won awards.

If I were you, I'd just go to a couple of car shows first, see what cars are winning, even ask some of the judges for criteria that they're grading on. Each show is different, and even within each show, there may be different classes and different awards for things (i.e. best engine compartment display, best interior, best paint job, most custom, etc). Good luck on your endeavour!

Quick Reply: I need Car Show Pointers