Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I need Car Show Pointers

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 11:23 PM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

Default RE: I need Car Show Pointers

Do Not enter the show just to try and Win. Enter to go and enjoy the cars and the Scenery and have a great time
+1, I go to shows to show my car all Summer, but I don't bother getting judged. I just like hanging out, looking at other cars and talking to people. People seem to take alot of interest in my car too. It just takes the pressure off and lets me relax more. Besides, WTF am I gonna do with a trophy? I got boxes full of 'em in my basement from HS and college collecting dust!
Old 03-24-2007, 12:08 AM
gmascagni
1st Gear Member

Do you happen to have a copy of your bio? Or a picture? I would like to see what one looks like. I need to make mine up.
ORIGINAL: 05 Mustang GT

Lots of good info above. I entered my Mustang in my first show last summer. Detail, detail, detail. I also made up a BIO sheet about the car, make, model, owner, mods, planned mods, etc. put it in a frame. I was surrounded by really nice old mustangs, but there was a lot of interest in my car.

This show is where I found out about the value of a "California" duster, never thought I would buy one??? Great tool, also bring your cleaning supplies, I found out you can clean just about anything with glass cleaner. Throw some cleaner in the trunk along with paper towels or micro fiber towels, never know when you have to do a quick detail. Good luck and have fun.
Old 03-24-2007, 01:45 AM
StangPilot
1st Gear Member

Do you happen to have a copy of your bio? Or a picture? I would like to see what one looks like. I need to make mine up.
Looks like you have a pretty good bio in your sig. I would just write it in more layman's terms so people not judging your car can understand how you modded it.
Old 03-24-2007, 11:25 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

He is so right on!!!!!!!!!!!! thats what I do and the cleaner the better. Get into shows with classes as you will place better and jsut have fun and learn from the previous show winners and you will be fine.
ORIGINAL: Jays Mustang

I've been in the car show curcuit for about 20 years. Detail, Detail, Detail. is what wins. Do a great wax job, clean up the excess by lights etc. Wheels & tires. Westley's bleachwhite to clean then a shine like Mequires. Do up the interior. Clean, not nessesary to shine. Underhood is very important. You'll laugh at how many people skip this. Clean and wax/shine the painted areas, Armoral the hoses, plastic etc. Take your time and have fun. Get some quick detail spray like Mequires to touch up at the show. Don't forget the glass. Being you first show you'll start to learn alot. If it's a Top 50 type show expect all the street rods to win, maybe a couple musclecars and antiques. If it's a show with classes you'll have a better chance. If with judges they can get picky, but when participants do judging is cool because they know the effort you put into it and don't just vote for who has the most money in it. Car show people are fun so have a good time. Don't forget to clean the trunk and wax the underside of the lid.
Old 03-25-2007, 12:35 AM
06blueovalblueGT
2nd Gear Member

Like everyone has said, "clean,clean,clean"

Get one of those hand-baskets from the grocery store to carry your
detail items and a few extra towels,and a+1 for the Cal. Duster !!
Underhood is a big thing, treat all the rubber and wax the paint, it pays off !!
My first show I took home a "Peoples Choice-Top 25", it was a proud moment.

Some jack-leg with an old t-bird tried to crack on me for "buying" my way into the show,
because I had a new car and no sweat equity,
Untill I overheard him say his was an e-bay car,
Then I got to ask him about his "sweat equity"
Old 03-25-2007, 01:21 AM
stangdude81
2nd Gear Member

I was nervous my first time out too, Like Spurzout, I came from a domestic/import scene to the Mustangs,I started out doing smaller shows, fireman's picnic shows, etc. It gives you a feel for what you should do to do well, and main thing being just sit around and talk to people and have a good time. I often prefer the class style shows although there is always the retard who is looking at cars and seeing who is in what class so they can enter a class where they are guaranteed a trophy. My first one I took home second place in the "miscellaneous" class because a 2002 Grand Am doesn't really fit into many classes, they didn't have a sport compact class which is usually what I entered after that. I got beat by a 2003 Cobra, who was looking for a trophy. there were 3 different mustang classes, but this douchebag claimed it was a cobra, not a mustang, so he should be in a miscellaneous class since there was no cobra class. People like that ruin the fun of it. Some shows have cool judges who spot things like this and put them in the correct class when judging time comes.
Old 03-25-2007, 02:49 PM
Jays Mustang
3rd Gear Member

And trophies "Are" cool. I don't go to just get a sunburn and talk all day. They represent all the effort/time/moneyyou've done on your car. I have a wall covered with them and I love it. Granted you're doing this to have fun for sure but it's nice to be awarded for your effort. Like in my other post, you go to a Top 50 type show and all the street rods show up. Cause they know most of them will get the trophies. I got into a heated discusion once with a street rod guy next to my 69 GTO at a show for about an hour. He kept going on & on about how the street rods should get all the trophies and I was holding on own saying I had as much $ or more into my car as did he along with the hundred other musclecars at the show and why shouldn't we get at least half of the trophies. It ended with us throwing our arms up and walking away and didn't say another word to each other the whole day. Neither of us won. Anyway find the shows with classes and you'll do good. Usually 3 mods put you into a modified class. Sometimes they have 3 classes for each type car. Stock, semi-mod & modified. Semi is 3 and under mods. That breaks it up good and you'll have like a dozen in each class with 3 trophies per class. Anyway have fun, keep detailing and always have some clean towels etc. with you.
Old 03-26-2007, 05:20 PM
Pony Ride
1st Gear Member

As most have said here, rule #1 is clean, clean, clean.

Depending on the type of show you're entering, you may not have to do anything else beyond that. If it's a judged show, you're pretty much competing against yourself anyway, so the cleaner you get the car, the better your score. You don't need an info sheet.

If it's a people's choice show, and you're placed in any "Modified" class, then a nice info sheet or plaque to place in the window or under your windshield wiper would be good for those interested in what you've done to the car. If you're in "Stock", don't worry about an info sheet.

The bottom line, have fun! A trophie is just a bonus, not the goal.