Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I Even Dare Ask This?? (Oil)

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 01:34 PM
Playboy06
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Should I Even Dare Ask This?? (Oil)

I used Ford to change my oil, when they did they also replaced my oil filter.

If I start changing oil on my own will I need to continue to change the oil filter, along with the oil every time?

Also I will be trying Royal Purple when I do change it, I think the right specs for a 4.0 were 5w-30, and I think the GT's run 5w-20? Do I have that backwards?
Old 03-23-2007, 02:02 PM
Ford_Dude
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Playboy06
I used Ford to change my oil, when they did they also replaced my oil filter.

If I start changing oil on my own will I need to continue to change the oil filter, along with the oil every time?

Also I will be trying Royal Purple when I do change it, I think the right specs for a 4.0 were 5w-30, and I think the GT's run 5w-20? Do I have that backwards?
you are correct
4.6=5w-20
4.0=5w-30
and yes you need a new filter every time
Old 03-23-2007, 02:26 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Agreed, DEFINATLEY change the filter every time. It is arguably more important to change the filter than it is to change the oil.
Old 03-23-2007, 03:04 PM
Playboy06
2nd Gear Member

Thanks!
Old 03-23-2007, 03:07 PM
gatkins94
2nd Gear Member

You could probably run the cheapest crap you could find, and as long as you change your oil between 3000 and 5000 miles interval, you will never have a problem happen due to oil viscosity breakdown......here's an interesting story....

http://www.xs11.com/stories/croil96.shtml
Old 03-26-2007, 12:57 AM
jvitas

My company manufactures mining equipment that costs millions of dollars. Our machines use journal bearings (16" and larger) that are similar to crankshaft bearings. We recommend oils based on viscosities for a particular operating temperature. The brand of oil is not important as long as the oil meets industry standards. Since the machines run 24/7, our customers test the oil rather than changing it at a set interval. Testing is much more economical and since the amount of oil involved, at least 40 gallons, and the downtime to change the oil means tens of thousands of dollars in lost production. Unfortunately, testing is much more expensive than changing 6 quarts of oil in a car.
As far as synthetics go, the main reason for using them is the viscosity curve is flatter so the oil is not as thick when the oil is cold, and not as thin when the oil is hot, as compared to mineral based oils. In other words, the bearing can operate in a wider temperature range. If an engine is heavily loaded, such as high horsepower applications, synthetics are the best choice. Normally the highest viscosity oil possible is best, but with cars driven in the real world compromises are required. In the case of our Mustangs there are some other reasons for the engineers requiring the 5w20 oil.
In conclusion, oil is cheap compared to testing and in most cases synthetics are not worth the cost for most applications if the oil is changed on reasonable intervals. For the record, I use Mobil 1 in my GT, which is supercharged, and I change it every 3000 mi.
Old 03-26-2007, 01:23 AM
Scotty07
3rd Gear Member

When to change it...??...Cooter and Goober will tell ya what theythink based on nothing more than what Uncle Ernie told them he did withhis Pinto... There is a thing called oil analysis running around out there that can tell you all you need to knowabout how your choice of oil is holding up in your engine and how much life is left in it...

Amsoil sells an excellent oil filter. K&N and Motorcraft are good, too.
Old 03-26-2007, 01:37 AM
MartyMoose
3rd Gear Member

I used AmsOil 5w-20 and filter in my '01 GT for the 5 years I owned it. Good stuff.
Old 03-26-2007, 09:20 AM
Jays Mustang
3rd Gear Member

Wait until 5000 miles for full synth. I like Motorcraft. Do an oil change every 3000 miles to keep the oil & filterfresh. The motor does need to fully break in. I've read were people wondered why their motor uses a quart every 1000 miles and it boiled down to using full synth too early.
Old 03-26-2007, 09:39 AM
CrazyHorse0217
2nd Gear Member

Any truth to horsepower gains from full synthetic?

Quick Reply: Should I Even Dare Ask This?? (Oil)