Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil change every 7500?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 08:39 PM
Rt1Rebel
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: oil change every 7500?

With synthetic and normal driving, 7,500 isn'toutlandish. The 3,000 oil change is advocated by concerns like Jiffy-Lube (I wonder why?)

Anyway, even with synthetic, I shoot for 3,000 but usually go about 5,000 and have no worries. This is, of course, after the 1st few break in changes.

With synthetic, it's contaminents of combustion, not the degradation of the properties that ruin the oil first.
Old 03-24-2007, 01:03 AM
Scotty07
3rd Gear Member

This aint the 1970's or even the 1980's when car engine tolerances were loose and they did not burn very clean. Today's engine tolerances are muchtighter and more uniformand they burn considerably cleaner which leads to far less oil contamination. One big reason some car companies still use these silly 3,000 / 5,000 mile intervals is it is a band aid to mask an engine issue that may be occuring.

Consider this: You have an engine problem that is prematurely contaminating the oil and breaking it down. You can mask a lot of issues by recommending a 3,000 or 5,000 mile interval for warranty purposes. It costs the car make nothing to do this, yet it keeps warranty costs down for those borderline issues that might not start to rear their ugly head unless the oil was run longer.

Of course, an avid motorhead running a simple $25-$50 oil analysis at regular intervals (you can easily pull a sample without changing the oil) would detect abnormal wear or contamination issues long before they becamea problem. They will also have SCIENTIFIC DATA that will tell them how their choice of oil is holding up based on their driving habits and engine condition and it will most likely save them money down the road in fewer oil changes and detection of problematic issues before they cause a major failure. Heck, fewer oil changes is not only good for the pocket book but good for the environment, right?

If warranty says change at 5,000 miles, then do it. That does make sense as it will help avoid any hassel if you have a failure. The car maker will look for any out they can to void your warranty if there is a failure and believe me, they WILL run oil analysis if you puke your engine...and they WILL be able to tell if you dumped fresh oil in after it puked when your records show it should havexxxxx miles on it... . But to change your oil at 3,000 miles just because Uncle Ernie use to do it with no VALID reason to do so is a complete waste of money, but I guess it is your money.

There are lots of places to get oil analysis done. Dyson, Blackstone, Amsoil, etc, to name a few. They do way more than just engine oil (transmissions, differentials, etc). If you are out of warranty you may be surprised at how long you can run the oil before it becomes a need to change it. If you engine is healthy and you are using a quality oil it will be more than 5,000 miles...

The point here is to change it based on a valid reason to do so (warranty purposes, oil contamination / oil breakdown (as verified through analysis) etc) not just because "I have always been told this is best" or "my cousin Vinny changes it every 1,500 miles " or "I heard at a bar once that changing your oil every 3,000 miles improves you sex life."

Peace.... out!!

Old 03-24-2007, 02:02 AM
FINGT
1st Gear Member

Changing oils every 3000 miles, yeah, that's good for the dealers $$$ [sm=smiley32.gif].
My BMW tells me to change oils appx. every 16000 miles, depending on driving conditions.
Sure, Ford is not BMW, but is it really THAT bad
Old 03-24-2007, 10:40 AM
ZZLEGEND
3rd Gear Member

maybe i am one of those people pissing money away, but i change mine every 3000. still using motorcraft filters and motorcraft 5/20 synthetic blend. if i go to full synthetic, then i will change every 5000.
Old 03-24-2007, 12:41 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FINGT

. . . depending on driving conditions.
That's the key thought, and mfrs differ somewhat on how they will address it. IIRC, BMW employs a computerized algorithm to estimate oil degradation based on a number of measureable items. Other mfrs leave it more up to the owner.

So, this topic has me looking at my 2001 Maxima manual. The basic recommendation for its all-aluminum DOHC V6 is for 7500 mile intervals unless your driving includes one or more of the following conditions

repeated short trips of <5 miles

repeated short trips <10 miles if outside temperatures are below freezing

hot weather in stop and go traffic

extensive idling and/or low speed driving for long distances, such as police, taxi, door-to-door delivery use

driving in dusty conditions

driving on rough, muddy, or salt spread roads

towing a trailer or using a car-top carrier

Norm
Old 03-24-2007, 01:22 PM
shaners90lxhatch
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Scotty07

This aint the 1970's or even the 1980's when car engine tolerances were loose and they did not burn very clean. Today's engine tolerances are muchtighter and more uniformand they burn considerably cleaner which leads to far less oil contamination. One big reason some car companies still use these silly 3,000 / 5,000 mile intervals is it is a band aid to mask an engine issue that may be occuring.

Consider this: You have an engine problem that is prematurely contaminating the oil and breaking it down. You can mask a lot of issues by recommending a 3,000 or 5,000 mile interval for warranty purposes. It costs the car make nothing to do this, yet it keeps warranty costs down for those borderline issues that might not start to rear their ugly head unless the oil was run longer.

Of course, an avid motorhead running a simple $25-$50 oil analysis at regular intervals (you can easily pull a sample without changing the oil) would detect abnormal wear or contamination issues long before they becamea problem. They will also have SCIENTIFIC DATA that will tell them how their choice of oil is holding up based on their driving habits and engine condition and it will most likely save them money down the road in fewer oil changes and detection of problematic issues before they cause a major failure. Heck, fewer oil changes is not only good for the pocket book but good for the environment, right?

If warranty says change at 5,000 miles, then do it. That does make sense as it will help avoid any hassel if you have a failure. The car maker will look for any out they can to void your warranty if there is a failure and believe me, they WILL run oil analysis if you puke your engine...and they WILL be able to tell if you dumped fresh oil in after it puked when your records show it should havexxxxx miles on it... . But to change your oil at 3,000 miles just because Uncle Ernie use to do it with no VALID reason to do so is a complete waste of money, but I guess it is your money.

There are lots of places to get oil analysis done. Dyson, Blackstone, Amsoil, etc, to name a few. They do way more than just engine oil (transmissions, differentials, etc). If you are out of warranty you may be surprised at how long you can run the oil before it becomes a need to change it. If you engine is healthy and you are using a quality oil it will be more than 5,000 miles...

The point here is to change it based on a valid reason to do so (warranty purposes, oil contamination / oil breakdown (as verified through analysis) etc) not just because "I have always been told this is best" or "my cousin Vinny changes it every 1,500 miles " or "I heard at a bar once that changing your oil every 3,000 miles improves you sex life."

Peace.... out!!

There is a lot of stuff I agree with in there, but several things I disagree with as well. You can't make a blanket statement on oil changes for identical vehicles with different drivers, let alone different vehicles with different drivers. Typically manufacturers understand that in order fora standard like this to be made, it must be able to address all likely scenarios. In other words, the recommended oil changes will be moreso on a minimum than a maximum. I would tell you to change it at 3000 miles if I thought that 3000 miles is where the average joe would begin to break oil down. Will a 4.6 3v go 10,000 miles on oil before it does damage? Sure. Its possible. Would I make that my standard? Hell no. Peopleare bound to then beat thecrap out of their cars and expect the oil to protect up to and beyond 10,000 in all cases.
"Scientific analysis" can **** off in my opinion. I am not ******* science, hell itallows me to do what I do for a living - but there tends to be a difference between scientifictheory and reality in cases like this (again, the whole applying a blanket standard to individual circumstances). For example: Emissions testing is done with a control fuel so that all tests can be standardized as much as possible. However, you then take your test results and apply them to the ridiculously shytty fuel available all over the country. In theory, the emissions should be similar. In reality you have no phucking clue whats going on because you tested the emissions compliance with a control fuel. To put this in a scientific perspective, you just completely eliminated the control and replaced it with another variable. Are the results comparable? Yes. Is this as good as it is going to get? Yes. Would I go so far to say that the experiment can be applied in all cases? Abso****inglutely not.
Just like with oil and oil change intervals. Just because I could get an engine to run X miles before it needed a change does not mean that you are going to as well. It is likely, yes -but likely in one hand and shyt in the other. See which one fills up quicker............
Dont spend $50 on oil analysis. The makerlikely wont (trust me, THIS is what I do for a living. In most cases, they'd rather just settle and keep you asa customer). Don't buy synthetic oil (unless standard). Don't change it every thousand,don't change it every 7500.Usethe lump three feet above your *** and put reputable brand oil of the proper viscosity in it every 3/3 or SOONER if it looks like crap. Nothing frustrates me more than when people try to reinvent the wheel. Christ, if you want a debate, where's thetire pressure discussion?Trans fluid? Brake fluid? How many of you guys flush your brake fluid? Use a hydrometer to test your coolant?That's stupid. Whatare you going to do when you begin totrash heater cores because the rust inhibitors broke down and caused your block to rust? Hydro won't test for additives?Changeyourgear oil lately? Anyoneever flushed power steering fluid?
HOLY ****! We better bust out all the hype in these areas as well. LOL
Old 03-24-2007, 03:52 PM
Eleanor06
3rd Gear Member

Well said !
Old 03-24-2007, 05:14 PM
ZZLEGEND
3rd Gear Member

HUH?????
Old 03-24-2007, 07:08 PM
Scotty07
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ZZLEGEND

HUH?????
LOL! I gave up about 1/2 way through
Old 03-24-2007, 08:58 PM
probinator
3rd Gear Member

I just stick with the normal 3k service...

Quick Reply: oil change every 7500?