Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

saleen shift adaptor + steeda shift bushings

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 01:35 AM
jaded seconds
3rd Gear Member

Default saleen shift adaptor + steeda shift bushings

sup guys. i have the saleenshort shifter adaptor on order and it should be here within the next week or so. i looked over some directions on a different mustang forum and the saleen shortshift adaptor doesn't seem incredibly complicated. for those that have installed it,is there anything i should really take account during the install?

alsoi'm thinking about ordering the steeda shifter bushings as well to go along with the adaptor, but i'm kinda iffy on the install. it looks and sounds really complicated and there hasn't been a really good install post w/ detailed picson any of the forums i know of.and i don't think i'd want to go to a performance shop to get both done, they charge up the ying-yang. if anyone knows of a good do it yourselfinstall link, please post. or if anyone has any advice.

i'm of below average mechanical abilities. i can only do real basic stuff like intakes, short shifters on a few cars, oil changes,exhausts, and other low key stuff.
Old 03-24-2007, 01:41 AM
Menace
5th Gear Member

Default RE: saleen shift adaptor + steeda shift bushings

Well it would probably just be a matter of removing the shifter, replacing the bushings and then just installing it again.

Hurst Short Throw Shifter - 2005 2006 Mustang | FordMuscle Magazine It has some good pictures and information on how to remove the stock shifter.
Old 03-24-2007, 01:44 AM
jaded seconds
3rd Gear Member

excellent link! ithank you. i skimmed through it and it's very detailed. looks like i'll be ordering those bushings now, lol. thanks.
Old 03-24-2007, 01:44 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showpo...mp;postcount=1

Cant get much clearer!
Old 03-24-2007, 02:00 AM
jaded seconds
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: howarmat

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showpo...mp;postcount=1

Cant get much clearer!
thanksto you as well,that tacobill guy is awesome.
Old 03-24-2007, 03:06 AM
mlcrycc
5th Gear Member

A couple of good links provided......

Just an FYI, you CAN replace the bushings without removing the entire shifter, but it is probably just as easy to go ahead and pull the shifter to do it....

Mike
Old 04-08-2007, 05:21 AM
jaded seconds
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mlcrycc

A couple of good links provided......

Just an FYI, you CAN replace the bushings without removing the entire shifter, but it is probably just as easy to go ahead and pull the shifter to do it....

Mike
i read in a different thread (https://mustangforums.com/m_1745521/tm.htm)that you could unbolt the shifter and let it just hang loose on the driveshaft and install the bushings that way. how difficultwould it be if i were togo that route?
Old 04-08-2007, 05:37 AM
titanjcGT

I was looking at the same combo of Saleen shifter adapter and Steeda bushings. Does anyone know if there is really an improvement in feel of the shifts with the bushings?
Old 04-08-2007, 08:34 PM
jaded seconds
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: titanjcGT

I was looking at the same combo of Saleen shifter adapter and Steeda bushings. Does anyone know if there is really an improvement in feel of the shifts with the bushings?
well i just installed the bushings today, i already installed the shift adapter a few days prior. the install for the shift adapter was easy as cake. but the bushings on the other hand are a little tricky and the install took more time that i thought it would. basically you unbolt the shifter and pull it through the center console, take off the old bushings put in the new ones. but the inbetween stuff can be tricky.

anyways the difference between having these new bushings w/ the shift adaptervs. having the stock w/ the shift adapteris marginal from what i've noticed. gears slide in just a bit easier. but what the hey it's roughly $20 shipped. but the install time for what you get doesn't really even out. but if you have some time on your hands and want to improve your shifts a little bit, go for it.
Old 04-09-2007, 01:01 AM
titanjcGT

jaded, thanks for the input. How much of a difference did the Saleen adapter by itself make? Does the shifter action change at all or just the length of the throws?

Quick Reply: saleen shift adaptor + steeda shift bushings