Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Competition with the new camaro

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 05:09 AM
blkGTconvert04
2nd Gear Member

Default Competition with the new camaro

I have been reading about how Ford is going to change the looks for the Mustang to compete with the new camaro comming out. All I have to say (and I hope some people agree with me) is I dont want them changing the Mustang to much and make it look more like the camaro or challenger because if you ask me I like the looks of the 197's the way they are a lot more than i like the camaro if it does turn out to look like the concept. I personaly think the exterior is "ok" but the interior is hideious. plus I heard the price tag could be as high as 40k after the markup. I really think if Ford left the Mustang alone and maybe added some performance upgrades that should be enough IMO. I guess what im trying to say is I can see ford doing something to the mustang that might end up hurting it rather than make it better just to compete with the new camaro which i think is just going to be another GTO situation. I can see it now...Theres going to be a huge hype and demand for the camaro then a year later people are going to say, "im paying how much for this?" If I am going to buy a new "Modern muscle" other than my 05 GT it would be the new Boss. I would take that over a new Camaro or Challenger any day.

I remember one day opening up my firefox to my home page and seeing an article about how ford might make a Mustang Wagon. A mustang wagon? are you trying to get the mustang discontinued or is this a sick joke? The reason why I thought that was a bad idea was because of the reason ford introduced the mustang back in 1964 in the first place. It was made for people that wanted a fast and great looking car without needing to take out a mortgage for it. It was a car in a league of its own and now there making a station wagon. Thank god it never happened because if they went with the idea I could see the mustang fading away into other types of cars and then being discontinued. whats next a mustang SUV? The mustang has lasted so long because it has basically become an american icon by apealing to one type of audience and thats it. An audience that loves to drive, not people that love to pick up groceries. Im just afraid Ford is going to do something that might end up hurting the stang just to compete with something that will probebly just end up dying out, but I also have faith they wont. Only time will tell.

As always, thanks guys
Old 03-26-2007, 05:34 AM
Arwing
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Competition with the new camaro

the new camaro is ugly as ****.

but these s197's are ****ing BEAUTIFUL. in my honest opinion, they are easily one of the best looking cars on the road. with out a doubt.
Old 03-26-2007, 04:14 PM
Warlok
2nd Gear Member

I have to agree compleatly about the Mustang GT being so SWEET looking! I have thought Fords suck all my life, and never owned one untill the 05 GTs came out. I waited till 07 to let them get the bugs out a bit, " still a way to go " and bought my GT 7 months ago. I dont think Ford will be trying to make the Mustang resemble any other car much less a camero.

Im so proud of my car, no Chevy short of a Vette could replace it.
Old 03-26-2007, 04:28 PM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

I think it's all speculation and rumor at this point. Have you been to the Chevy Camaro site?
http://www.chevrolet.com/performance/
They don't even have actual real photos of the Camaro moving!!! It's all cartoons! Hit the snooze button and keep dreaming! Maybe we'll have a better idea of what the Camaro will really look like at next winter's auto shows.
But even if you think it's ugly, there would be a list a mile long to buy it even if it looks they way it currently does.
Also, check out the dash on the 2008 Malibu. Looks like it's got the 2 scoops taken out of the dash like the old model Mustangs
Old 03-26-2007, 06:21 PM
tilt
2nd Gear Member

At first I thought the camero looked cool, but the more I looked at it the more it started looking like the Batmobile....I think I will stick with my S197.
Old 03-26-2007, 06:26 PM
blkGTconvert04
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: tilt

At first I thought the camero looked cool, but the more I looked at it the more it started looking like the Batmobile....I think I will stick with my S197.
thanks for the posts guys and your views. I think ill stick with my S197 to.
Old 03-26-2007, 06:42 PM
bodyputtyless
3rd Gear Member

The rumors that you have read about a four door Mustang are bunk. Fact is Ford built a concept car that uses the Mustang chasis. The concept is called the Interceptor. It has a 400 HP cammer and four doors. There are pics of it online and in this months edition of 5.0 magazine. Personally I think the concept looks beautiful. You can tell from the pics that its a direct competitor to the Chrysler 300 and Charger. I hope they build it. If they do, you can be sure that I will be adding my first four door vehicle to my collection.

[IMG]local://upfiles/40175/67A8C0A7BD2A4713AFF88E6CB6A8FB59.jpg[/IMG]
Old 03-26-2007, 07:42 PM
tilt
2nd Gear Member

Yeah it is a beautiful car, but it is not a mustang. Why lable it a mustang, make up a new name for it. What's next a mustang minivan??

It would be like taking a 4 door family sedan and calling it a Charger[:@]
Old 03-26-2007, 07:55 PM
JimsGT
3rd Gear Member

I agree , the new Camaros look like hell! Hate the goofy, "ghetto-ish" oversize wheels...can't wait until that automotive fad dies off...( But I do like the Challenger).

I only heard the '08 Stangs will be more agressive looking up front, and will closely resemble the present GT500, but thats it, thank God, no radical changes. The Mustang will come out on top, b/c the Camaro and the Challenger will be way more expensive than the Mustang, and the 'Stang is more for the masses, the people's favorite! Also, Ford will up the horses, with the 5.0 "Hurricane" engine.

I don't think the Challenger will be around long, DC already ditched an entry level Chally, because of mfg costs, and the one slated for production will be so expensive to make, and only so many will be sold, that after awhile, it will not be worth it for them to produce.

If the Camaro is too expensive, sales will drop.....and leave the Mustang on top!!!

JMHO, of course!!!!

BTW I wouldn't worry about a Mustang "creation", how many times was that discussed in the past, and never came to be? Like when Ford acquired Mazda, they were going to make a 4 cyl. "Maz-Stang"!!! LOL ...or when Ford was going to end the Mustang entirely? Please, I wouldn't worry about it, ....its all hot air....
Old 03-26-2007, 08:31 PM
red stangguy
1st Gear Member

By the time Gm gets this thing built gas will be way over 3.25 per gal and the price of this peice off crap will be way above $35.000 with all thegoodies. Nobody will buy itcause the economy right now is slowing down.None of thebig three car makers are selling very much.This car will not helpGm at all. It's just a little to latein the game and ford is on top as far as sports cars.

Quick Reply: Competition with the new camaro