Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

UGH WTF!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 05:29 PM
Kaldar142
4th Gear Member

Default UGH WTF!!

ok, my rear end is making so many squeaking noises, just all the time its driving me nuts.... i think it might be the LCAs or the panhard bar as tahts all i can think of

i had my spare tire unbolted and a bunch of stuff wondering around my trunk.. (i thought tahts waht the squeaking was) so i took it all out in hopes of thinking its all gone...but nope its still there

any suggetsions as to waht i should do?

PS i never got my pinion angle set, i went and measured it myself and everything seemed OK from whatve ive read.. but who knows
Old 03-29-2007, 05:43 PM
spdbrake
1st Gear Member

Default RE: UGH WTF!!

If you have zerk fittings on the panhard, lube them.

I put anti-seize on the LCA and panhard bolts also.

Old 03-29-2007, 05:53 PM
Kaldar142
4th Gear Member

zerk fittings?
Old 03-29-2007, 05:57 PM
bascho
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Kaldar142

zerk fittings?
grease fittings.
Old 03-29-2007, 06:09 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Squeaking is either an improperly torqued bolt somewhere in the rear suspension or a lack of grease.

Remember that for polyurethane bushings you must use SILICONE grease. Ordinary petroleum grease will dissolve the poly.

Another thought is that you might have the TSB problem for the moaning rear diff. Does it make squeaking or moaning noises when you turn at slow speeds? (most evident in a parking lot or when doing a U-turn).
Old 03-29-2007, 06:15 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

where are you guys getting silicone grease for a grease gun? My local places ain't got ****!

ORIGINAL: CrazyAl

Squeaking is either an improperly torqued bolt somewhere in the rear suspension or a lack of grease.

Remember that for polyurethane bushings you must use SILICONE grease. Ordinary petroleum grease will dissolve the poly.

Another thought is that you might have the TSB problem for the moaning rear diff. Does it make squeaking or moaning noises when you turn at slow speeds? (most evident in a parking lot or when doing a U-turn).
Old 03-29-2007, 06:20 PM
Kaldar142
4th Gear Member

yeah its mostly at low speeds, going over bumps, turning and whatnot
Old 03-29-2007, 06:21 PM
Kaldar142
4th Gear Member

what happens if i "over-grease" one?
Old 03-29-2007, 06:46 PM
imyy4u
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Kaldar142

what happens if i "over-grease" one?
dont grease anything. i guarantee you it's the rear moan/groan that the TSB will fix. has to do with the limited slip diff. and stuff, nothing you can fix. don't waste your time, TSB it...although i got the TSB done, and my problem has returned, so i am not confident that this will fix the issue...

Old 03-29-2007, 07:20 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: imyy4u
dont grease anything. i guarantee you it's the rear moan/groan that the TSB will fix. has to do with the limited slip diff. and stuff, nothing you can fix. don't waste your time, TSB it...although i got the TSB done, and my problem has returned, so i am not confident that this will fix the issue...
Maybe. Maybe not. But it is easy to tell:

If you have the TSB problem, it will ONLY make the noise when you turn. If you go straight, there will be no noise. Bumps also have nothign to do with this.

If your suspension squeaks regardless of wether or not you are turning then it's not the TSB (or maybe you have two different problems). The TSB issue is ONLY when turning. So a straight-line squeak or a squeak when going over a bump is something other than the diff.

Silicone grease is available from all the vendors of poly suspension parts: Prothane, Energy Suspension, and so on. Many of the dealers that sell parts with poly bushings also sell the grease. I bought my tube from BMR. You can also get it from an industrial supplier like Drago, Grainger, McMaster-Carr, MSC, and so on.

Overgreasing is unlikely to hurt anything, but itdoes make a mess. Wipe off any extra grease that"squirts out"..that way it won't sit there and collect dirt.

Quick Reply: UGH WTF!!