Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT500 CONVERSION DONE - KR HOOD PG. 11 - HOW-TO & PARTS LIST PG.14

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 09:31 PM
Andretti
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by nmd55
this kinda irks me. just got my venom hood a week ago, wish i would have known about the version 3.
Sorry man, I didn't mean to post this to **** anyone off. I'm not even sure when these officially are for sale. I cant remember if I mentioned in a post earlier at some point....this was a hood that one of the guys who helped Trufiber develop the Venom hoods was sent as 'payment' for him sending his original hood to use to be mocked up. He had a GT at the time, but has since sold it. When the hood came, he had decided to hold on to it as he planned on getting a GT500 soon, but since he hadnt gotten one yet, he decided he could use the money as oppsed to holding on the hood for who knew how long.

It may be a few more months till these hoods go on sale, it may be next week. I have no idea. I just happened to come across the opportunity to take this one off his hands and I jumped at it. I hadnt planned on ordering a hood till mid to late december and was hoping the version 3 would be available by then. Mellow would be the one to ask when these might be out short of just calling Trufiber and asking.

Andretti
Old 11-12-2008, 09:44 PM
nmd55
3rd Gear Member

no worries. im happy with my hood, cant wait to see yours on the car!
Old 11-13-2008, 07:28 AM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

besides the new version of the Trufiber Venom Hood having the hood pin inserts in the mold, is there anything else that they changed?

here's a couple of pics of my hood being compared to Andretti's.

Old 11-13-2008, 07:42 AM
CutterWolf
5th Gear Member

That's just like ours Cam except for the hood pin holes.
Old 11-13-2008, 10:12 AM
Andretti
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 05 Mustang
besides the new version of the Trufiber Venom Hood having the hood pin inserts in the mold, is there anything else that they changed?

here's a couple of pics of my hood being compared to Andretti's.

That does looks exactly like mine does from looking at your pictures. So you added your hood pins to the hood? Initially when I looked at your pic I thought you also had the KR pins (that mine is suppose to be designed to use), but now realize yours have the wire connecting type (which to be honest, I like better). My current problem is I havent seen any pics of where to mount the bottom part of the hood pins yet, but I am going to go ahead and order the pins today. I'm hoping it will become fairly obvious when I get them how to install, but if it isnt, I'll just call Trufiber and ask Phil directly.

Cam, could you or cutter possibly post some pics of the area around the headlights where your hood pins were put? I'm not sure I can do it the same way since by looking at your pic, from what I can kinda tell, it looks like your hole is a little lower on the hood than the holes mine shows. But I really have no idea and would appreciate any advice you all can offer.

Thanks much though.

Andretti

Last edited by Andretti; 11-13-2008 at 10:14 AM.
Old 11-13-2008, 10:23 AM
CutterWolf
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Andretti
That does looks exactly like mine does from looking at your pictures. So you added your hood pins to the hood? Initially when I looked at your pic I thought you also had the KR pins (that mine is suppose to be designed to use), but now realize yours have the wire connecting type (which to be honest, I like better). My current problem is I havent seen any pics of where to mount the bottom part of the hood pins yet, but I am going to go ahead and order the pins today. I'm hoping it will become fairly obvious when I get them how to install, but if it isnt, I'll just call Trufiber and ask Phil directly.

Cam, could you or cutter possibly post some pics of the area around the headlights where your hood pins were put? I'm not sure I can do it the same way since by looking at your pic, from what I can kinda tell, it looks like your hole is a little lower on the hood than the holes mine shows. But I really have no idea and would appreciate any advice you all can offer.

Thanks much though.

Andretti
No problem Andretti, I can get you pic's but I can tell you right where we mounted them at. Open your hood and take a look at your hood bump stops, you will see a total of 4, 2 of the are located close to the hood latch and then you will see the 2 others that are over your headlights. Its these ones that are over your headlights I want you to take a look at, right next to them you will see a hole in the radatior support and that hole is just the right size to put the hood pin into. If you plan on using these holes you will need to do it when your bumper is off since you will have to take your headlights out to gain access to the bottom side of the of the radatior support and you may need to enlarge the bottom hole to allow you better access to the bolts. Now I don't know what your hood pins look like or work but I bleave you should be able to use this same hole. From the pictures of your hood your holes apear to be farther forward of where ours are mounted at but your on the same line as ours. I guessing yours have some kind of mount brackit? If so you should still be able to use that hole to mount your brackit with. The best thing to do is (since you already have pre-drilled holes) is to test fit the hood and then put something (pen, marker ect) threw the holes to mark a spot.

Last edited by CutterWolf; 11-13-2008 at 10:33 AM.
Old 11-13-2008, 12:00 PM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

I agree with one of the comments that Cutter made....you are probably going to have some sort of bracket that will be used in conjunction with your hood pins. If you look at the location of the holes in your hood compared to mine, yours are closer to the front of the car, putting them somewhere over the headlights.

Here's a pick of mine (as Cutter has described above)

Old 11-13-2008, 12:53 PM
5150PONY
2nd Gear Member

You can get the hood pins from
http://store.cobranda.com/19shcohopink1.html
they come with the brackets. I think you might have to modify
Attached Thumbnails  GT500 CONVERSION DONE -  KR HOOD PG. 11 - HOW-TO & PARTS LIST PG.14-yhst-13525187779972_2023_43513031.jpg  
Old 11-13-2008, 02:02 PM
Andretti
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 05 Mustang
I agree with one of the comments that Cutter made....you are probably going to have some sort of bracket that will be used in conjunction with your hood pins. If you look at the location of the holes in your hood compared to mine, yours are closer to the front of the car, putting them somewhere over the headlights.

Here's a pick of mine (as Cutter has described above)

Thanks much for posting those pics. I did go ahead and call phil at trufiber and he didnt really say that the hood was designed to use a particular hood pin, but obviously looking at Mellow's that style of one fits and looks good. More than likely, that is also the one I will go with.

Just an fyi for anyone else who might want this hood....I did ask Phil when they were going to be available. He said that they were actually now, they just wanted to make sure that the guys who helped them develop this hood got first dibs for this version. He gave me the impression they have another 5 or 6 at his shop right now like mine (version 3 and already primered). So, for anyone interested, they need to call Trufiber direct and I guess specify which version is preferred. I guess if not specified it just depends on which pile of hoods they go to first (just guessing here).

Andretti
Old 11-13-2008, 02:34 PM
MELLOWYELLOW06
6th Gear Member

Whoever needs one of these hoods just contact me and Ill help smooth things over for you.

Quick Reply: GT500 CONVERSION DONE - KR HOOD PG. 11 - HOW-TO & PARTS LIST PG.14