Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Running a tune with stock intake.

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 08:50 PM
acascianelli
5th Gear Member

Default Running a tune with stock intake.

I'm going start modding my Mustang. I wanted to buy a tuner first and flash to a 93Octane tune. Would it be safe to run a 93Octane tune with the stock intake? I will eventually buy an intake also, but I want to use the parts I buy right away.
Old 04-04-2007, 08:56 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Default RE: Running a tune with stock intake.

Buy a tuner and CAI combo from Brenspeed or B amachips. You will not regret it one bit and are throwing money away if you dont!
Old 04-04-2007, 08:58 PM
PROMETHEUS PRIME
5th Gear Member

Yes!!! Get a combo kit.
Old 04-04-2007, 08:59 PM
Arwing
5th Gear Member

I highly recommend you wait a tad bit longer (if you need to save up) and purchase the intake and tune together.

But yeah it would be safe.
Old 04-04-2007, 09:37 PM
sycd
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: acascianelli

I'm going start modding my Mustang. I wanted to buy a tuner first and flash to a 93Octane tune. Would it be safe to run a 93Octane tune with the stock intake? I will eventually buy an intake also, but I want to use the parts I buy right away.
That should be safe. If you buy your tune from Brenspeed and later buy an intake from them, I think that they will give you updated tunes for free. Double check with them first though.
Old 04-04-2007, 09:44 PM
acascianelli
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sycd

That should be safe. If you buy your tune from Brenspeed and later buy an intake from them, I think that they will give you updated tunes for free. Double check with them first though.
So I need 2 different tunes, one for stock, then one for a different intake? In that case I think I'll be better off buying them both at the same time. I was thinking about buying both the tuner and intake used.
Old 04-04-2007, 09:46 PM
Arwing
5th Gear Member

Can you even buy a tuner used..?

Old 04-04-2007, 09:52 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Yes you can get them used. I wouldnt do it unless you like spending money. buy an tuner for 250 used lets say....then add brenspeed tunes @ 125 or B ama tunes @ 180. You are now at the same cost or more for the tuner if you bought it new! and you still need to find an intake for under 300 to just stay below 700 which is still more than most combo are for new!
Old 04-04-2007, 10:01 PM
Arwing
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: howarmat

Yes you can get them used. I wouldnt do it unless you like spending money. buy an tuner for 250 used lets say....then add brenspeed tunes @ 125 or B ama tunes @ 180. You are now at the same cost or more for the tuner if you bought it new! and you still need to find an intake for under 300 to just stay below 700 which is still more than most combo are for new!
Very good point.
Old 04-04-2007, 11:00 PM
sycd
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sycd

So I need 2 different tunes, one for stock, then one for a different intake? In that case I think I'll be better off buying them both at the same time. I was thinking about buying both the tuner and intake used.
If you buy your tuner from brenspeed, the most common is to get three tunes for different octane (87,91,93 for example) and for your car without intake. Depending on what kind of gas you want to use on your car, you chose which one of the three tunes to install on your car.

Later, if you buy an intake from brenspeed, they should already have the info about your car, and they can email you three new tunes, (again for octanes 87,91,93 for example), but customized for your intake. You can download the tune from your PC to your programmer with USB, then use the programmer to update your car after installing the intake.

Seems to me to be the best way to go if you are planning to buy a programmer with tune now, and an intake later.

Quick Reply: Running a tune with stock intake.