Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How does the 05-07 GT compare to the following...

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 07:13 PM
8cd03gro
5th Gear Member

Default RE: How does the 05-07 GT compare to the following...

ORIGINAL: TheDarkPath

Stock 05+ Mustang GT (given 13.7ish in the 1/4) vs
BMW M3 = M3
VW Golf - GTI = GT
Mistubishi Lancer - EVO (MR) = Evo
Subaru WRX - STI = GT
Honda Prelude = GT
Honda Civic SI = GT
Nissan Altima SE-R = GT
Infiniti G35 = GT
Lexus IS350 = tie...possibly GT if it's a stick and the person can drive
Nissan 350Z = GT
Dodge Neon SRT-4 = close depending on drivers
Pontiac GTO (5.7L or 6.0L) = GTO
the sti and the evo mr should have very close to the same outcome...in the 1320 both can run faster than a stock gt, but from any kinda roll they will get their **** rocked. the ls1 gto should be close with the gt, really a drivers race, but the ls2 is quite a bit faster. You can't complain too much about not being faster than all of em dude, think about it. the stang looks better than all of em, and the few that are even slightly quicker stock (evo mr and sti) cost 30k+, quite a bit more than the gt. The only one that exceeds your bang for buck is the srt-4 which is really pretty much the best bang for buck deal in decades, but come on....you have to use a manual spin thingy to roll down the back windows they arent even electric and the thing is so uncomfortable/ugly i could never own one.
Old 04-06-2007, 07:15 PM
wavers

Having owned an 06 GTO and an 07 Mustang GT I can say that the Mustang has no chance against the GTO. Further, I believe the GTO is better in every respect except looks.
Old 04-06-2007, 07:17 PM
TheDarkPath
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: tritonpwrd

We could beat EVO's. Ive done it both at the track and some kid that tried me on the road. All I had was the magnaflow exhaust on at the time. About 1 car length ahead of them both.
Was it an MR? If so, that kid couldn't drive for crap. MRs stock run borderline 12s. I thought the OP said only the fastest model of each car so I pointed out MR when referring to it.

e_pad: you're right, after looking around a bit, looks like the STi runs on average 1-2 tenths faster than an average GT.
Old 04-06-2007, 07:18 PM
8cd03gro
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: wavers

Having owned an 06 GTO and an 07 Mustang GT I can say that the Mustang has no chance against the GTO. Further, I believe the GTO is better in every respect except looks.
thats what you get for an extra 7,500 dollars.
Old 04-06-2007, 09:04 PM
lieu910
3rd Gear Member

I owned an 05 GTO before my 06 GT.IMO the interiorof the GTO was nicer for a daily driver, but the GT'sinteriorhas a retro cache that ispretty cool.Engine wise I'dgive my GTO an edge for having more HP and TQ, but the 3V 4.6is a nice engine, and is easily modified for GTO killing power. The 6-speed is nice, but I have no complaints on the 5-speed, and I preferthe solid axle of the GT vs. the wheel hop of the GTO's IRS.

The bottom line is that the GT's shortcomings are curable, and the GTO's are not. I bought my GT for just over 25k with 0%. My GTO was just over 27k. Take that 2k, add a CAI, tune and 4:10's and you have a GT that will give a GTO a great run, andhave a better looking car in the process. I've put about 6k in mine, and have a blown GT that will destroyGTO's.Problem solved. Matter of fact, most blown GTO's I have seen on the boards are making about the same power my little 4.6 does. Only a few have gotten past 500 whp, but they have also done heads, cams, etc.for the cost of those items I canhave a buile stroker short block and still be money ahead.

The GTO is a great musclecar daily driver. Powerful, comfortable, and reasonably economical. But it justdid not thrill me the way my GT does. I don't miss my GTO at all.

Old 04-06-2007, 09:08 PM
8cd03gro
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: lieu910

I owned an 05 GTO before my 06 GT.IMO the interiorof the GTO was nicer for a daily driver, but the GT'sinteriorhas a retro cache that ispretty cool.Engine wise I'dgive my GTO an edge for having more HP and TQ, but the 3V 4.6is a nice engine, and is easily modified for GTO killing power. The 6-speed is nice, but I have no complaints on the 5-speed, and I preferthe solid axle of the GT vs. the wheel hop of the GTO's IRS.

The bottom line is that the GT's shortcomings are curable, and the GTO's are not. I bought my GT for just over 25k with 0%. My GTO was just over 27k. Take that 2k, add a CAI, tune and 4:10's and you have a GT that will give a GTO a great run, andhave a better looking car in the process. I've put about 6k in mine, and have a blown GT that will destroyGTO's.Problem solved. Matter of fact, most blown GTO's I have seen on the boards are making about the same power my little 4.6 does. Only a few have gotten past 500 whp, but they have also done heads, cams, etc.for the cost of those items I canhave a buile stroker short block and still be money ahead.

The GTO is a great musclecar daily driver. Powerful, comfortable, and reasonably economical. But it justdid not thrill me the way my GT does. I don't miss my GTO at all.

great post. made your point without ragging on the gto at all. wish more posts were like this in these forums.
Old 04-06-2007, 09:19 PM
Arwing
5th Gear Member

BMW M3 - M3 Wins

VW Golf - GTI? - Mustang Wins

Mistubishi Lancer - EVO? - EVO Wins

Subaru WRX - STI? - Wrx vs GT - GT Wins STi vs GT - STi wins

Honda Prelude - LOL....mustang..

Honda Civic SI - mustang wins

Nissan Altima SE-R - mustang wins

Infiniti G35 - mustang..

Lexus IS350 - mustang

Nissan 350Z - mustang

Dodge Neon SRT-4 - mustang..but be careful..

Pontiac GTO - gto

Old 04-29-2008, 11:39 PM
justin_burke05
2nd Gear Member

great thread!!! i always laughed wen i c them damn civic si's pull up n rev to me... dont they know that thegt symbol on my car = asswhoopin? i rather surf the web n know the outcome rather than get a ticket for racing.
Old 04-29-2008, 11:54 PM
Roy_R
4th Gear Member

I've kicked a 350Z's butt on a rolling start 20mph.....and I'm running stock with 3.55:1 differential.
Old 04-30-2008, 09:40 AM
Going for broke
2nd Gear Member

interesting stuff....

How about the trans am's and the camaro ss's.
I have a pesky one in town and I rolled on with him and he didn't catch me but I haven't hit it from a dig with him. He's got a stick vs. my auto. All I have for mods is a brenspeed tune/cai

Quick Reply: How does the 05-07 GT compare to the following...