Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roush Hood scoop install

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 08:58 PM
brandon97
1st Gear Member

Default Roush Hood scoop install

Any tips from the pros on the install? My pre-painted scoop should arrive Monday and I want to have everything that I need. I realize that it comes with a template for proper alignment, but is this really something that you would recommend a newbie trying or should I pay someone to do this? As you have read in my exhaust posts, I'm not real mechanically inclined, but I also don't want to pay someone else to do something that I can do....it's funny, on my 93 vette, I would try anything the first time...but now with a new car, I'm scared sh*tless.....[8D]
Old 04-06-2007, 10:16 PM
mlcrycc
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Roush Hood scoop install

Brandon,
It's a fairly simple, straight-forward install. The template is very good. As far as tips, here is what I would tell you....

Be sure to cover your engine compartment with a blanket, sheet, plastic, etc. When you drill the aluminum hood, the shavings go everywhere.

Along that same note, after you drill, do not brush the shavings off the hood by hand, brush, etc. They will scratch the hell out of it. Use compressed air to blow the shavings away. If you do not have an air compressor, buy a can of compressed air that is made for computers, cameras, etc.

Measure, measure, then re-measure. Once that first hole is drilled, you are pretty much committed to the location.....Just make sure you find the center line of your hood to work from with the template.

The directions that come with the scoop are good, but, they suggest using a center punch to punch the locations thru the template, to mark for drilling. I personally used a very sharp awl, and kinda drilled thru the template by hand, into the clearcoat and paint. I then used a small pilot bit, then followed with the proper size bit. The hood is very flimsy, so I was nervous about smacking a center punch, although I understand that the automatic center punches work fine....

Take your time, re-measure, and know that it gets easier after the first hole is drilled.....

Mike
Old 04-07-2007, 11:47 AM
bluene05GT

Let me know what happens. My scoop's in the paint shop right now.
Old 04-07-2007, 01:35 PM
underbird10
3rd Gear Member

Be careful if you have a plenum cover on the engine. It's very easy to scratch it when your drill bit pops through. I opened my hood and let it rest on the latch so it would provide a little more clearance when drilling. As Mike said, the hood has very thin sheet metal, so you don't really have to push very hard on the drill to get it to bite. Just make sure you use a sharp bit.

Hope all goes well.

UB10
Old 04-07-2007, 02:03 PM
CalgaryGT

Where did you purchase the Pre-Painted scoop from ? I have been looking at scoops and am debating whether on putting on a Roush scoop or a Xenon scoop. I can get either for $199.99 but they have to be painted.
Old 04-07-2007, 02:12 PM
Gman13
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CalgaryGT

Where did you purchase the Pre-Painted scoop from ? I have been looking at scoops and am debating whether on putting on a Roush scoop or a Xenon scoop. I can get either for $199.99 but they have to be painted.
Try atlantamustang.com I believe they have pre-painted parts including scoops.

Old 04-07-2007, 02:26 PM
Playboy06
2nd Gear Member

Remember after you drill the holes in the car there will be shavings on the hood, do not brush them off, get a air compressor or something that will cause them not to scratch.

Also remember the rule
"Measure eleven times...Drill Once"

Template is simple.

Edit: Also, as a safety measure I added 8/32 nuts under the hood, like stated a few posts down don't tighten them, enough to stay on there is fine, the nuts/bolts they give you are cheap and I didn't trust them.
Old 04-07-2007, 02:28 PM
brandon97
1st Gear Member

I got my Roush Scoop directly from roush on the web, it was $153 then you have to add the extra $$ depending on your color. It was an extra $93 for my vista blue...total was about $250. Good luck.
Old 04-07-2007, 02:38 PM
wingman75
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CalgaryGT

I got a painted Roush hood scoop from a Ford dealer who sells them on ebay. The paint was a perfect match. I have a factory hood scoop on my car so I sold it to another MFer.
Old 04-07-2007, 03:17 PM
ovrpar6
2nd Gear Member

I installed mine in under an hour.
1. blanket over engine
2. use compressor to blow shavings off
3. use template, re measure at least twice
4.use sharp tools...i.e. drill, center punch
5. use proper size drill bit, to big not good
6. raise hood and place a block of wood under hood latch to give you spaceunder the hood, the drill will cut thru the hood like butter so no need to push down, use both hands and since the hood is raised you won't "pop" thru the hood and hit the plenum cover.
7. DON'T tighteen thenuts to much or the hood scoop will distort

Quick Reply: Roush Hood scoop install