Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roush Hood scoop install

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 03:31 PM
JimC

Default RE: Roush Hood scoop install

ORIGINAL: wingman75
I got a painted Roush hood scoop from a Ford dealer who sells them on ebay. The paint was a perfect match. I have a factory hood scoop on my car so I sold it to another MFer.
[/quote]

And it looks great installed wingman!
You have lots of good suggestions for the install -- I did it in the middle of winter, very cold, but at least I was in my garage. Propping up the hood a little is a must, and removing the hood liner is a must as well. I tried to do it with leaving the liner in place and the bolts are not long enough to reach through and finish the install - it did a good job of keeping the shavings off the engine though.
Old 04-08-2007, 11:07 AM
frdfrst
2nd Gear Member

take the hood off,very easy.takes two people.take off the liner,the rest is even easier.mark the hinges on the bottom of the hood with a marker so when you put it back on it lines up.buy more double sided tape and use it all the way around as the mounting fastners don't hold the front part down at speed.don't tighten the screws down to hard or they'll strip and your screwed.have fun,as its really pretty easy
Old 04-08-2007, 04:37 PM
alumacomp
2nd Gear Member

On the underside of the scoop, at thesides and back there are flat sills that extend inwards away from the edge.I assumethe double backed tape goes on these flat parts or doesit get stuck right to the edge of the scoop? I suspect not because it would be visible and lift the edges of the scoop up from the hood. Can someone confirm?
Old 04-08-2007, 05:48 PM
mlcrycc
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: alumacomp

On the underside of the scoop, at thesides and back there are flat sills that extend inwards away from the edge.I assumethe double backed tape goes on these flat parts or doesit get stuck right to the edge of the scoop? I suspect not because it would be visible and lift the edges of the scoop up from the hood. Can someone confirm?
You are correct, the tape goes on the little flat sill.....

Old 04-08-2007, 08:45 PM
brandon97
1st Gear Member

Thanks to everyone for your help and advice.
Old 05-14-2007, 11:42 AM
ovrpar6
2nd Gear Member

Hey anyone know where to find an insert for the opening of the scoop to make in look functional instead of the SOLID black insert?
Old 05-14-2007, 12:25 PM
brandon97
1st Gear Member

I thought they were on ebay about 2 months ago.
Old 05-14-2007, 12:50 PM
Jays Mustang
3rd Gear Member

It's an easy install if you take your time. I drill with the hood insalation still on to catch the shavings. once I saw how long the bolts were, I new they would stick through on most holes, except the 2 by the hood. Vacuum the shavings off the insalation. Anyway clean the hood good before putting the template down, (don't want to scratch anything) You cut out the holes for the wiper squirters so that makes the back side alignment easier but you want to mark the center line real good. I used a piece of pinstipe but marking it on a piece of masking tape should work as well. Then use the center line on the template to line up with your centermark. Masking tape the back of template to the windsheild. you'll go back and forth a dozen times to make sure it's perfect. Then use a center punch with a light tap with a small hammer. As another said use a smaller drill first to make sure your on the center perfect. I drilled through the paper template to make sure I was on the money. Follow the directions, take your time and you'll be all set. If one bolt hangs up going in, there's some play and use an awl w/hook to give a little pull on the bolt. Oh and vacuum the shavings and wrap some masking tape around your hand (sticky side out) to lightly touch and pick up little left over shaving you see. Of course use a little paint in the bare metal holes for rust prevention. Car wash after to make sure no metal is left to scratch later. Good luck.