Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspension Guru's and Engineers

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 04:31 PM
Smokem
1st Gear Member

Default Suspension Guru's and Engineers

I have been following the suspension threads for a while. This question has not been asked yet and I am curious if there really is a differance. I am not lowered but do plan on dropping the rear end and a 1pc driveshaft 6 to 8 months from now. I plan on visiting the track off and on but by no means consistently. I am looking to install LCA's now. I do realize I need atleast 1 set that is adjustablewhen Ilower or install the driveshaft. Just basing my pricing from Fast Toys and Lethal I my question is:

Is there a benefit to LCA's being Tubular vs Adj. at this point? Then when I lower it I can add the Adj. upper? So is there a benefit to have all Adj, adj LCA solid UCA, or solid LCA and adj UCA? The last question is the benefit difference between poly or spherical UCA? If you look at the price break out below Set up 1 is $100 cheaper.

Set up 1 - Spohn LCA Tubular w/poly bushing $120
Spohn UCA Adjustable $125
Total $245

Set up 2 - Spohn LCA Adjustable Poly/Spherical $215
BMR UCATubular Poly $136
Total $351

Set up 3 - Spohn LCA Adj. Poly/Spherical $215
Spohn UCA Adj. $125
Total $340

Set up 1 is what I was looking at because that would leave me more money for other MOD's but I don't what to Half A$$ my upgrades so I would rather wait and shift my MOD timeline to set the car up properly. Thank you for all of your input.
Old 04-09-2007, 04:47 PM
mAnYsTyLeS
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Suspension Guru's and Engineers

I think the response you're going to get is the following from CrazyAl.......

Setup # 2

Non-adjustable UCA with poly bushings if you want the car quieter than the spherical (race) setup
Adjustable LCA with poly busings if want the car quiter than the spherical (race) setup plus you need the LCA to be adjustableif you want to add a new drivshaft in the future.

Then again I could be a total moron and not have a clue......but I think I'm right.....
Old 04-09-2007, 06:30 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

https://mustangforums.com/m_1696246/...tm.htm#1696246

Set up 2 would be best but you might need both adj UCA and LCA if you cant adjust the pinion angle enough.

Old 04-09-2007, 09:06 PM
Smokem
1st Gear Member

Howarmat,

I have saved that link too it is great! I understand adj LCA's are great for accessability but I don't plan on doing but one adjustment when it is lowered and the shaft installed. And if the best one of the 2 you can install is the LCA why wouldn't you want that to be solid instead of Adjustable?
Old 04-09-2007, 09:28 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Its easy to adjust and instlal both. If you arent installing yourself or if you only need to adjust once then you are fine I guess. Its just my preference.
Old 04-09-2007, 09:32 PM
androdz
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: howarmat

Set up 2 would be best but you might need both adj UCA and LCA if you cant adjust the pinion angle enough.

No u dont Just get an adjustable Lower Control Arm in poly/rod combo and a Fixed upper control arm. If you lower the car you will need the LCA Relocation brackets to bring the LCA Horizontal again.

Andrew
Old 04-09-2007, 09:38 PM
DeStonn
4th Gear Member

Don't forget about the adjustable panhard bar when you lower the car
Old 04-09-2007, 09:39 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

ORIGINAL: androdz

No u dont Just get an adjustable Lower Control Arm in poly/rod combo and a Fixed upper control arm. If you lower the car you will need the LCA Relocation brackets to bring the LCA Horizontal again.

Andrew
He might. Moosestang had to buy adj UCA after the adj LCAs didnt get the pinion fully corrected.
Old 04-09-2007, 09:46 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

I would get setup 1.

Adjusting the upper control arm is simple compared to the lowers. It might be harder to get at, but it's still one adjustment vs. two for the lowers. Plus with LCA relocation brackets the lower control arms don't move the pinion angle much at all. The adj. UCA is much better for pinion angle adjustment IMHO. I have both adjustable as you can see, but if I could do it over i'd get solid lowers and I probably will eventually.

When you go to the track you'll probably want to lower the pinion angle a little, especially if running drag radials or slicks.

ORIGINAL: Smokem

Howarmat,

I have saved that link too it is great! I understand adj LCA's are great for accessability but I don't plan on doing but one adjustment when it is lowered and the shaft installed. And if the best one of the 2 you can install is the LCA why wouldn't you want that to be solid instead of Adjustable?
Old 04-09-2007, 09:55 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: androdz

Andrew
He might. Moosestang had to buy adj UCA after the adj LCAs didnt get the pinion fully corrected.
The relocation brackets were the problem. I know I read on here that the relocation brackets don't affect the pinion angle, but i'm here to say that the Che brackets do indeed and i verified it by removing them from the lower bracket hole and mounting them back in the stock hole. I had to place my floor jack under the nose of the diff in order to get the holes to line up. It made more than 1 degree difference

Quick Reply: Suspension Guru's and Engineers