Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which is the best Shorty Headers? HP?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 01:13 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

I'd go with the JBA since they have equal length tubes. I would think the sound, and maybe power too, would be better.
Old 10-16-2009, 05:05 PM
DLZ314
2nd Gear Member

Thanks SirKnight, that was where I was leaning too. I was hoping a few more guys would chime in with some opinions...
Old 10-16-2009, 07:39 PM
MTAS
2nd Gear Member

There are no shorty headers worth putting on any naturally aspirated V8 Mustang made since 1996. The Mod motor doesn't respond to them the way the OHB 5.0's did.
Old 10-16-2009, 09:29 PM
GT Bob
3rd Gear Member

I'd put money on the fact that the above poster (or most of the "shorties are a waste" crowd) has never driven in a car with them on...
Old 10-16-2009, 09:45 PM
Shadow7874
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by GT Bob
I'd put money on the fact that the above poster (or most of the "shorties are a waste" crowd) has never driven in a car with them on...
How do you like yours? I Got some new chrome BBK shorties for $80 shipped from a member here that im planning on installing soon. I cant say im impressed with the quality of them but it looke nicer then the stock setup
Old 10-16-2009, 09:54 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

there is a set in the classfieds for $50. Dont know what brand or if they are sold but would be a hell of a deal
Old 10-16-2009, 10:12 PM
Shadow7874
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by howarmat
there is a set in the classfieds for $50. Dont know what brand or if they are sold but would be a hell of a deal
those are the ones i bought, 50 +30 for shipping.
Great deal, but after looking over the quality i think bbk should lower their price a little. The finish isnt anywhere close to the chrome i imagined and theres a bit of a mess around the welds but they arent bad.

On a side note, what will happen to the finish if i sand it some? Im considering cleaning up the tubes and maybe having them refinished if i can get it done cheap.
Old 10-16-2009, 10:29 PM
FreshPuck
1st Gear Member

I know headers dont give you the best "bang for your buck" on an N/A engine as they would F/I - but what are reasonable gains for shorties and long tubes? I was thinking that long tubes would be good for anywhere between 15 and 25 whp on an n/a - of course, i could be completely wrong as its just from what i've read, but can someone steer me in the right direction w this?
Old 10-17-2009, 12:03 AM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

I put shorties on for a different reason, to lower temps. I went with ceramic coated FRPP and they are a quality product. Before the FRPP I had BBK's but had to return them because the quality was unsatisfactory. There was no way I could put something on my car that looked like they did, welds were ugly, marks in the tubes from the bending equipment, uneven application of the coating, it really looked like they just didn't care. I was hoping it was an isolated case since everyone else with BBK's seems to be happy with them.

Shadow, you could clean em up and send off to Jet Hot for a ceramic dip. Not the cheapest but worth it IMO. You would still be under the price of new ceramic coated bbk's.
Old 10-17-2009, 12:09 AM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by FreshPuck
I know headers dont give you the best "bang for your buck" on an N/A engine as they would F/I - but what are reasonable gains for shorties and long tubes? I was thinking that long tubes would be good for anywhere between 15 and 25 whp on an n/a - of course, i could be completely wrong as its just from what i've read, but can someone steer me in the right direction w this?

Yeah you're right, it's about 20 give or take a few with N/A. The same is true with high flow cats or O/R. It doesn't make much of a difference either way.

So the power increase is pretty decent IMO. The other great thing about headers (shorty or LT) is the sound. It's a bit different and at idle it almost sounds like you put in a mild cam. It's awesome.

Last edited by SirKnightTG; 10-17-2009 at 12:12 AM.

Quick Reply: Which is the best Shorty Headers? HP?