Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I finally put my Spyder DS in

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 09:51 AM
clearym
2nd Gear Member

Default I finally put my Spyder DS in

My Spyder aluminum drive shaft was sitting in my garage for the last three months and I finally installed in yesterday afternoon.

a)Install was a no brainer except that I did it on Jack stands in the driveway. This method is not recommended. The job is easy but, you need a lot of clearance especially to torque the bolts properly. My torque wrench is about 25 inches long and once I started torquing the bolts down I had to elevate the car much higher to get clearance for the wrench.I was getting worried that it would fall off the jacks stands because my driveway is not level.So, It can be done this way but, if you need to wait to use a lift or higher a mechanic, I'd do it. It would probably take an hour on a lift but, it took me three hours. You will also need a large gear puller to get the OEM rear flange off. Mine wasn't big enough and I had to rig a complex contraption so I wouldn't have to buy or rent a new one. A harmonic balance puller would probably work better but, I didn't have one.

b) I drove it about 50 miles and had it up to 80 mph. Slightly noticeable difference in pull.

c) No noticeable difference in noise or vibration.

d) Once you get the stock 2-piece out, your going to wonder why so much engineering went into building this very complex device (carrier bearing, complex rear flange, very heavy, etc.) Anybody know why Ford did this?

thanks Spyder,

-Matt
Old 04-10-2007, 05:45 PM
Rudiepoo1
1st Gear Member

Default RE: I finally put my Spyder DS in

Good to hear all went well. I've had mine for what seems like forever now and still waiting to install it. I'm waiting to get my BMR driveshaft loop first then I'll be installing it at a buddies place. Same type of install, garage (very nice garage) and on jack stands as well. This dude does some serious wrenchin so it shouldn't be an issue.
Old 04-10-2007, 06:03 PM
dkegel
1st Gear Member

Matt,

Is your car lowered at all? I'm still not quite sure at what point theclearance issue shows up with the 4" shaft, so I'm curious.

Dave Kegel
Old 04-10-2007, 06:28 PM
clearym
2nd Gear Member

Kegel, I wouldn't worry about the clearance. I'm lowered (Steeda Ultralites) and the DS is still higher than the exhaust pipes. To my surprise, I haven't any problems with bottoming out. If I did, the pipes would be the first to hit and they haven't so, the DS will probably never hit. Also, The stock Pinion flange (at least 5" diameter) sticks down lower than the new DS as well.

How do you like the Supercars??? I have the same tires and the same sizes (but my rims are 8.5 & 9.5) and I'd like to know what you think of them. There don't seem to be many people using them.
Old 04-10-2007, 09:36 PM
dkegel
1st Gear Member

I thought the "lowered car clearance issue" was between the driveshaft and the tunnel, no? I may be mistaken.

It's hard to say about the tires. With this bizarre weather we've been having here in the midwest I haven't really had much of a chance to drive them on a warm day. They don't have a ton of grip when it's only 40 out, I know that much.

Dave
Old 04-10-2007, 10:28 PM
The Ghost
3rd Gear Member

I'm lowered on FRPP springs. I also use the Spyder shaftand everything fits perfect. I really couldn't tell much of a difference at all after the install. But at the drag strip I picked up a very solid .2 sec in the 1/8th.
Old 04-10-2007, 11:46 PM
dkegel
1st Gear Member

Cool. Those are the springs I have so that's good to know. Did you reset the pinion angle?

Dave
Old 04-10-2007, 11:52 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

The rear of my driveshaft fell right out of the pinion flange.
Old 04-11-2007, 12:19 AM
Speedyejl
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: clearym

d) Once you get the stock 2-piece out, your going to wonder why so much engineering went into building this very complex device (carrier bearing, complex rear flange, very heavy, etc.) Anybody know why Ford did this?

That's the stock two piece. Ford isn't a company that is known for over engineering the hell out of its cars, especially using expensive parts (I bet the OEM shaft costs more than aftermarket ones.) This is one mod I’ll pass until you guys rack up some serious mileage with your lightweight ones.
Good to hear you like it though, haven’t heard any issues with quality shafts yet.
Old 04-11-2007, 12:55 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

I agree it looks expensive to make, but cars have been using 1 piece driveshafts for years. I don't see how ours are any different.

ORIGINAL: Speedyejl

ORIGINAL: clearym

That's the stock two piece. Ford isn't a company that is known for over engineering the hell out of its cars, especially using expensive parts (I bet the OEM shaft costs more than aftermarket ones.) This is one mod I’ll pass until you guys rack up some serious mileage with your lightweight ones.
Good to hear you like it though, haven’t heard any issues with quality shafts yet.

Quick Reply: I finally put my Spyder DS in