Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT500 Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 08:14 PM
oakman
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: GT500 Conversion

Just got a call from the Ford body shop manager and he said that if I got the bumper from Ford, that I would have to get the GT500 hood. I would not be able to use the stock GT hood. So I directed him to the mustangforums.com and he saw the GTs with the conversion using the stock hood. He felt like I should get the necessary aftermarket parts and he will do the painting and install if I want him to. He said all of the parts from Ford OEM would be too pricey. He seems to want to make this successful, cause other people will see it and want the same conversion. So hopefully Suoperdave or someone else will turn me on to the vendor that can sell me what I need. Thanks guys for the direction so far. This is a project I am really looking forward to. BTW a guy here at work got a Shelby GT500 convertible. I have been checking out the front end for two days now. The more I see it, the more I want that look for my baby. I don't know that I am crazy about the GT500hood vents though.
Old 04-10-2007, 08:51 PM
suoperdave84
4th Gear Member

There are no aftermarket parts for the GT500....by which I mean knockoffs. Your only option is t buy Ford parts. As you know you do not NEED the GT500 hood if you don't want it. I have one in fiberglass thatI filled the vent holes on. I am hoping it will look good enough until I can get the GT500KR hood.

There is a company that sells a similar hood to the prototype GT500 hood, but they also require their front bumper, which is not available yet. This bumper is not as dramatic as the real GT500 bumper either. The company that makes them is Kaenen, but you can find their stuff sold on ebay sometimes by Karr Motorsports.

You just have to get the Ford parts. It's not THAT much money, and it all fits perfectly. It's the only way to get the look you want. I emailed you the info on the guy I bought mine from.
Old 04-11-2007, 02:53 AM
MELLOWYELLOW06
6th Gear Member

Daves right, all the parts you need are from your dealer. Ask parts for a break and the might knock off 10-15% and you know you are getting quality parts. You can install yourself. Its fairly simple. PM if you need help or parts. I have acces to some parts still.
Old 04-11-2007, 03:28 AM
RYD PNY

Part #'s

Front Bumper
7R3Z-17D957-APTM - Bumper Assy - Front
7R3Z-17K945-AA - Grill -lower
7R3Z-8200-A - Grille - Radiator
7R3Z-8A224-A - Emblem
7R3Z-17A385-CA - Bracket - License Plate
7R3Z-17752-A - Bracket - Bumper Mounting (RH)
7R3Z-17753-A - Bracket - Bumper Mounting (LH)
7R3Z-17626-AB - Lower valance panel
7R3Z-17C882-A - Isolator
7R3Z-8B455-A - Bracket[/align][/align][/align]
Old 04-11-2007, 04:22 AM
Corpo
2nd Gear Member

on this topic, has anyone done a gauge pod swap?

i have a the 4 gauge cluster, without mycolor and the message center, but i'd really like the six gauge, and i really like the idea that the rpm and speedohave switched places. of course i'd have to get it without the SVT decal and cobra stuff. but anyway

anyone know if it's possible? the dealership i asked said he's not sure if my car has the wiring for a six gauge pod and message center. and he wasn't sure he could order the other interior upgrades, aside from the steering wheel, but that was $500 cdn.

i want to install all the interior crome upgrades that come from the factory. has anyone done that aftermarket without going over board and maintaining the stock look? (including leather side panels)
Old 04-11-2007, 09:19 AM
oakman
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: suoperdave84

There are no aftermarket parts for the GT500....by which I mean knockoffs. Your only option is t buy Ford parts. As you know you do not NEED the GT500 hood if you don't want it. I have one in fiberglass thatI filled the vent holes on. I am hoping it will look good enough until I can get the GT500KR hood.

There is a company that sells a similar hood to the prototype GT500 hood, but they also require their front bumper, which is not available yet. This bumper is not as dramatic as the real GT500 bumper either. The company that makes them is Kaenen, but you can find their stuff sold on ebay sometimes by Karr Motorsports.

You just have to get the Ford parts. It's not THAT much money, and it all fits perfectly. It's the only way to get the look you want. I emailed you the info on the guy I bought mine from.
The GT500KR hood? Whoa, that is really going to make your ride mean! I love that hood. Man you got me to thinking again. Why not go for the whole look. Well for now I will concentrate on the front fascia swap out. Thanks everyone for the info so far. I do have a good realationship with my dealer parts guy, so I will try to get a break on all of the parts I need.
Old 04-11-2007, 09:21 AM
oakman
2nd Gear Member

Thanks RYDPNY. Are you doing the conversion on yours?
Old 04-11-2007, 10:03 AM
CainMotorsports2102
3rd Gear Member

anybody have an online link to a store that sells the parts?
Old 04-11-2007, 10:43 AM
bascho
3rd Gear Member

The GT500KR hood is not a Ford part. In fact, all the equipment on the KR is addedpost productionby Shelby. The KR hood is CF, so unless someone offers a knock-off, you better get ready to pay at least a grand.
Old 04-11-2007, 01:40 PM
MELLOWYELLOW06
6th Gear Member

FYI, for all out there doing their conversions REDPNY's list is good so far, but there is more so dont' go home with those parts alone and expect to get the job done. You still need to add all the lighting as well. The outcome is definitely worth the effort and money IMO.

Quick Reply: GT500 Conversion