Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT500 Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 01:59 PM
oakman
2nd Gear Member

Default GT500 Conversion

I am serious about changing out the front fascia on my 06 GT to the GT500 Shelby fascia. For those of you who have done this a few questions:
1. Should I get this done at a Ford dealership body shop to keep my warranty intact?
2. Is this sold as a conversion kit by Ford with all of the stuff that you need?
3. Where can I find a pony tri-bar emblem to put on the grill after the conversion?

Thanks.
Old 04-10-2007, 02:27 PM
bascho
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: GT500 Conversion

There are two threads about this topic already. PM Pertano or MellowYellow06 since they've both done this already.
Old 04-10-2007, 02:28 PM
PERTANO
2nd Gear Member

1. The bumper swap would in no way affect your warranty so if you want to get raped on pricing from Fordthen go for it.

2. There is no kit offered by Ford. It's not even a kit. It's just all the parts used on the actual GT500. So you need to do some research and get the part numbers.

3. The emblem that I, and a few others used is theleft side fender badge from the V-6 Pony package car.

Good luck
Old 04-10-2007, 02:36 PM
suoperdave84
4th Gear Member

I am almost 100% positive that your bumpers are not covered under warranty. Swapping the bumper does not affect any part of the car except for the bumper, and therefore cannot void the warranty according to the Magnuson-Moss Act.

I don't think Ford will do this for you even if you beg them. I have not put my GT500 bumper on yet but it's just a few brackets. It looks very easy but I'm sure it will take a few hours.

There are a lot of parts you need in addition to the bumper:

(Bumper)
Headlights
Fog lights
Bumper isolator (foam piece inside bumper)
Upper grille
Lower grille
GT500 radiator cover
Several brackets
Chin spoiler (if you want it)
Wiring harness for fog lights

I chose to skip the chin spoiler and the wiring harness and it cost me about $1150. Most places who sell this setup charge about $1400. There is only one place selling it as a "kit", and you can email him at clevparts@aol.com (he charges $1400 but I think that includes shipping) If you want the contact info of the guy I got mine from, PM me and I'll give you the info.

But I must say also....I have not actually assembled my parts yet, so I am not 100% sure that I have all the parts I need.

The tribar pony you can get off Ebay and there is also a popular site that everyone buys that stuff from...but I forget the URL. Someone else will mention it though I'm sure.

Dave
Old 04-10-2007, 02:39 PM
oakman
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: PERTANO

1. The bumper swap would in no way affect your warranty so if you want to get raped on pricing from Fordthen go for it.

2. There is no kit offered by Ford. It's not even a kit. It's just all the parts used on the actual GT500. So you need to do some research and get the part numbers.

3. The emblem that I, and a few others used is theleft side fender badge from the V-6 Pony package car.

Good luck
Thanks Pertano, I am getting a quote from my dealership body shop today. I have used them in the past to paint my truck, so I know they do a good job. The manager has not done a conversion yet but said it would be no problem to do oreffect the warranty. He is researching to see what parts are required and will get back to me. Then I can compare prices. I will either do the install myself or let them do it. Either way I will use the dealer body shop for the painting. Pertano, do the relocated fogs use the same wiring? Thanks for your help.
Old 04-10-2007, 02:49 PM
oakman
2nd Gear Member

Thanks Suoperdave, I did PM you for your contact.
Old 04-10-2007, 03:15 PM
PERTANO
2nd Gear Member

What I used was the entire harness and cut the ends off that I needed. Some guys chose to use a less factory approach that I wouldn't recommend. The pigtails are available to just extend the wires down and make it work, but I haven't found the part numbers for them yet. But I have seen them for sale on ebay so they are out there. Just the parts book I use aren't as specific because I work at a commercial truck dealer. I get parts, but not like the Car guys do. Plus everything I get is special order and not returnable so it makes me less willing to experiment with part numbers.
Old 04-10-2007, 04:08 PM
bascho
3rd Gear Member

Pigtails for the GT500 Fog Lamps are Ford Part # 7U2Z-14S411-BA. The wires might not be long enough as the pigtail is meant to repair a damaged connector on the OE GT500 harness, not for conversion. Motorcraft # is WPT-884.
Old 04-10-2007, 06:00 PM
MELLOWYELLOW06
6th Gear Member

I would get the chin spoiler just because it completes the look. Its not a hard install but just take your time to make sure you do it right and not damage anything. PM if you need some help or parts. Good luck
Old 04-10-2007, 06:02 PM
MELLOWYELLOW06
6th Gear Member

Pony emblem part# is 6R3Z-16228-B. List is $21.04

Quick Reply: GT500 Conversion