Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got Stopped for the FOG Lights being on

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 01:00 AM
2k05gt
4th Gear Member

Default Got Stopped for the FOG Lights being on

the other night I got stopped for having the driving lights on, the officer thought I had my High beams on and pulled me over. I explaned that there are driving lights and not high beams. he told me to turn them off while driving except in the fog, I tried to explain that Fog Lights have to be low so that it lights up the road surface and does not cause glare off the fog like high beams and head lights do. Driving lights give you added visability while driving on dark roads. Well Driving Lights are not Legal in Virgina (what he said) I have never heard of this..

So my question is: are there Amber or Yellow Bulbs avalable for the Driving Lights, (This is allowed in VA because it designates Fog Lights) again what the officer said... I think he is full of it and he was embarased pulling me over for High beams and they were not.
Old 04-13-2007, 01:02 AM
Arwing
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Got Stopped for the FOG Lights being on

you're not the first person on here to be pulled over for this
Old 04-13-2007, 01:04 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

I think he is full of it.....many cars have lights that come on automatically and you cant shut them off. So take it to court, but first find this so called law.
Old 04-13-2007, 01:09 AM
JayFi
2nd Gear Member

Wow - lots of VA on the forums tonight! I find the cop's story hard to believe. The last 3 cars I've owned have had driving lights and I've never gotten pulled over for them. For the record, at night I always drive with both sets of lights on.
Old 04-13-2007, 01:16 AM
06Redfire3V
5th Gear Member

cops in va and laws in va are gaaayy!!
Old 04-13-2007, 01:17 AM
2k05gt
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: howarmat

I think he is full of it.....many cars have lights that come on automatically and you cant shut them off. So take it to court, but first find this so called law.
Luckly I did not get a ticket, because I found the Law, He is Full of $hit he was trying to get out of looking like a fool. Read the Law below.. My Question was how can I change the color so it does not get mistaken for High beams.

Virginia Law (Sections ยง 46.2-1010 through ยง 46.2-1040 Code of Virginia)
All lights must be approved for use by the Superintendent of the Virginia State Police or by the Society of Automobile Engineers. Parts approved by S.A.E. will have an S.A.E. number recorded on the part. The Department of Transportation no longer approves parts.
Covers, including those with emblems, names or designs cannot be installed over any required or approved lamp, light or lens unless equipped as standard factory equipment.
Headlights:
[ul][*]Two (2) are required, except on motorcycles. [*]No colored material can be placed over any headlight. [*]No more than four (4) headlights or combination of fog/driving lights may be lit at one time. [/ul]
Tail Lights:
[ul][*]Lenses must be red and cannot contain any other color. [*]No material or plastic cover may be installed over or on the rear lamps or license plate lamp. [*]License plate lamps and back up lights are required on all motor vehicles. [*]Backup lights cannot be operating if the vehicle is not in reverse. [/ul]
Old 04-13-2007, 01:21 AM
blueherd02gt
5th Gear Member

WTF is Va the illuminati state or what?
Old 04-13-2007, 01:26 AM
2007GT/CS
3rd Gear Member

Don't change the color of your fogs! You're fine.

Print the research you just did and keep it in the glovebox.

I drive with all four on whenever my lights are on.

It's amazing how cops try to bull$hit/intimidate their way out of situations where they clearly know they are in the wrong. Ought to be a law.....
Old 04-13-2007, 01:26 AM
2k05gt
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JayFi
Wow - lots of VA on the forums tonight! I find the cop's story hard to believe. The last 3 cars I've owned have had driving lights and I've never gotten pulled over for them. For the record, at night I always drive with both sets of lights on.
I do to, I also use them for Day time running lights
Are you a NVMC 'er? if not you should it's free and a great club.
Northern Virginia Mustang Club

ORIGINAL: zesty
cops in va and laws in va are gaaayy!!
Are you from Virginia?
Tell me about the VA Laws being Gay...
I had to get rid of my SLP LM because of the VA Laws Highlighted it what I was ticketed for
[align=center](Sections ยง 46.2-1047 through ยง46.2-1051 Code of Virginia)[/align][ul][*]The State of Virginia requires all vehicles to have mufflers. Straight exhausts, gutted mufflers, muffler cutouts or mufflers without interior baffles are illegal. [*]Exhaust systems must be comparable to the designs installed as standard factory equipment. An exhaust system is illegal if it permits the escape of noise in excess of that permitted by the standard factory exhaust system that came on that particular make of vehicle. In addition, the exhaust system shall be in good working order and in constant operation to prevent excessive or unusual noise. Headers are illegal if they increase the noise level of the vehicle above the factory level. [*]Chambered pipes are illegal. [/ul]
Old 04-13-2007, 01:32 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Remove the SLPs before inspection time...

Quick Reply: Got Stopped for the FOG Lights being on